Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

Philly Tri- Who's doing the Olympic Race?
CREATED: 04/08/10 by adilks REPLIES: 86
HeatherS's ravatar HeatherS    JOINED: 1/7/10    POSTS: 5
RE: Philly Tri- Who's doing the Olympic Race?
POSTED: 6/29/10 10:57 AM

What about those who didn't run the whole 10k? You know they closed it down at a certain point. Were their times unfairly reduced?

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 6/29/10 10:57 AM

We'll verify the rules with USA Triathlon-Mid Atlantic and let you know what they say. I'm pretty sure that we still lost, but it would be nice to know the rules for next year.
The way it is scored now doesn't encourage the entire Club to participate. Why not just send only our super fast people plus 30 others for participation points.

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 420
POSTED: 6/29/10 11:10 AM

Based on what system posted on phillytri.com looks like for the most part calculations are correct. I also went back and looked on the usatriathlon.org site link to the Natl Champ Scoring for Myrtle (http://www.halfmaxchampionship.com/pdf/2010%20USAT%20Club%20Scoring.pdf) and it is a little more clear there (see below). Looks like it is based purely on Age Group/ Category (not club within Age Group/ Category) results.

As mentioned above this doesn't encourage greater participation and is technically throwing AG'ers into a club competion they are not part of. Seems like an odd way to do it, but oh well, we've still got Myrtle this year!

The only issue I see is that a few of the members that placed for Philly Tri weren't on the posted club participants list (http://www.phillytri.com/sites/default/files/club-participants.pdf - which may have been updated and not posted) and a relay team was included. In any event, I don't think that it was enough to make a difference.

Individual
• Individuals will be ranked within their gender and age-group category.
• Clubs shall be ranked, within their respective club divisions (I-V), based on the club’s
aggregate performance and participation points for all age, gender, Physically
Challenged Athletes, and Clydesdale – Athena categories.

UPDATE:
Even if we had been on last years points system, it doesn't look like we would have won.

I exported the results into Excel and ran a pivot table (you can see how you rank in your division against other clubs participants)...
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AifjrEv5Y-E2dEt2LU5fZ2FBcVpTWUE2eHgtQnMyX2c&hl=en&authkey=CMGlq-kI

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 159
POSTED: 6/29/10 11:53 AM

If that is in fact the rules, then our elite competitors need to sign up as age groupers. There is no incentive for them to go against the elite wave if they can place in their age group.

jules    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 110
POSTED: 6/29/10 12:24 PM

The scoring for Philly was not the same as the National Championship scoring. The points were awarded as follows:

Overall Individual Scoring
The overall top three eligible male and female participants in each Division will earn 10 points, 9 points, and 8 points respectively. Top three overall finishers will not be eligible to earn additional age group points (i.e. no double counting).

Age Group Individual Scoring
Eligible individuals will be scored by age group and gender. The top five finishers will receive 6-2 points, with the first place finisher earning 6 points, the second place finisher 5 points, the third place finisher, 4 points etc.

Club Participation Points
Non-scoring age group participant finishers, will earn ½ point for their respective clubs up to a maximum of 15 points for Division I, 10 points for Division II, and 5 points for Division III clubs.

Our Elite athletes specifically asked and were told that their points would be counted towards our club total but this was not the case. Unfortunately even if you add the points for our elite athletes as age groupers and take out the relay points, we are still significantly behind Philly.

Sign up for Myrtle Beach if you haven't already! We need to win the National title!!

mtallent's ravatar mtallent    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 6/29/10 1:20 PM

A few years ago I did a duathlon “just for fun”. After that, I decided I would never do a duathlon again; I’m a TRIathlete, not a DUathlete. Never say never.

Definitely my worst race to date in the 5 years I’ve been doing triathlons. I was upset when I found out the swim was cancelled, but who can complain when in comparison just the fact that you made it there meant you were having a much better day than someone had the day before? So I resigned myself to the fact that I wasn’t going to get much more than a participation point for the club this year (or so I thought) and that this was now a “training” race. Fortunately it wasn’t my #1 race for the season, so I decided to try to make the best of it.

I then set about looking for a pair of socks since my racing shoes give me blisters and my running shoes were in the car, which was on its way to NJ for another race (at least my fiancée Pete had a great race!). I failed in my mission, for which my feet paid the price, but that wasn’t really the main issue for my poor performance.

I held back on the 5k run, and instead held my 10k pace in hopes that I wouldn’t wear myself out. It was not a good day to be a swimmer used to the swim acting as a “warm-up” for the rest of the race, only using my arms and barely using my legs on the first leg. As it turns out, even holding back on the 5k, my legs were still screaming when I got to the first hill on the bike. I mostly enjoyed the first loop of the bike course, and while I was somewhat embarrassed to be in the elite wave and be so far behind the rest of the pack, it was nice to have that first loop of the course to myself, except for that one wrong turn I took, which I realized when the one rider just behind me at that point turned the correct way… oops!

The second loop was a bit hairy, unfortunately, much like the drivers in DC, most of the riders didn’t seem to understand the concept of staying to the right and passing on the left. There was one guy carried off on a backboard, turns out the accident was caused by a pedestrian, holding a toddler, who decided to cross the road without looking and caused an accident with 2 bikes. He was definitely having a much worse day too.

So, the bike leg didn’t go so well either. Too many hills to take on legs that definitely were not “fresh”. But the worst part was getting back into the transition area. Unfortunately, the rider in front of me was either not in the race, or stopping for some other ungodly reason, but as we reached the point where the second loop headed left and the finishers headed right, he headed all the way to the right, forcing me off the course along with him. As I stopped and turned my bike around to get out of the barriers, I was so flustered trying to climb back on my bike that I slammed the underside of my knee, HARD, into my pedal. I stumbled into transition, with no water to clean off my knee that was gushing blood, and ants all over my transition towel, which I decided against using to wipe it off either. At least there was a water stop at the end of transition, where I stopped to wash all the blood off before beginning my run.

The last leg was the worst of all. The bleeding finally did stop, but my legs just wouldn’t move. If I tried to speed up, I found that I couldn’t breathe (I thought allergy season was over so I stopped taking my allergy pills the week before, apparently that was a bad idea). By mile 3 I was limping along, sore knee, blistered feet, unable to breathe, and legs that just wouldn’t move any faster. Then, standing in the blazing hot sun, I suddenly became covered in goosebumps from head to toe and felt nauseous. Just then I spotted another of my Air Force Tri team members walking, so I decided to join her. We walked to the next aid station where I stopped and downed about 5 cups of Gatorade. About half a mile later, the goosebumps and nausea subsided and I decided to run again. My friend, also a swimmer, and a much faster triathlete than I, said she was going to keep walking; she was having an even worse day than I was.

So I continued on, figuring that either way the result would be the same, so long as I finished I would at least get the participation point for the club, unable to do much more than that. I sped up as I heard the announcers at the finish line, motivated by the fact that at least this misery would soon be over.

I was sad to hear that the club got second and that there weren’t many (if any?) medals. And a bit ticked that I specifically asked if the elites counted in the scoring and asked to be moved into the age group wave if I wouldn’t count, and then it turns out I didn’t count anyway. I’ll be sure to get it in writing or sign up under age group next time.
I was really hoping that those who were more duathletes than triathletes would have a great day and that it would give an opportunity for some of those who weren’t used to making the podium to have a good day and earn some hardware. For those of you who are not swimmers, I hope at least a few of you had a good race and got a PR!

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 6/29/10 1:56 PM

Some interesting thoughts and M, sorry to hear about your knee and blisters.
Good place to chat about it all, Regional Happy Hours this thursday:
http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Learn.buzz&id=401. Look forward to seeing folks there.

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 6/29/10 7:20 PM

TEAM COMING AT YOU RMALE 1 6

this name was on the philly tri roster. 'he' won six points too. 'his' parents must have really been into regional triathlon competitions.

POSTED: 6/29/10 7:25 PM

Even if we had been on last years points system, it doesn't look like we would have won.

I exported the club results into Excel and ran a pivot table (you can see how you rank in your division against other clubs participants)...
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AifjrEv5Y-E2dEt2LU5fZ2FBcVpTWUE2eHgtQnMyX2c&hl=en&authkey=CMGlq-kI

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 220
POSTED: 6/29/10 8:30 PM

On a different note, here's a video about the Philly olympic race:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OrfHT0RjqU

There are few shots of DC Tri members:
1:53 - unknown
1:58 - Steph Ewert in transition
2:47 - Melissa Tallent on the bike

... though my favorite part is when the host is interviewing Bevan Docherty and calls him "Devan". Nice.

By the way, I'll upload all of my race pics within the next few days, and post a link here. (I was spectating on Sunday.)

Kevin

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 6/29/10 8:33 PM

That spreadsheet is excellent analysis thanks! Gotta love the pivot tables - a DC special talent. So it seems that at 2.78 points per athlete we had a better average than the Philly 2.65 points per athlete, leading to the conclusion that we have higher quality athletes, but ultimately it's the numbers that made the difference. Does that seem like a reasonable conclusion? Thanks again.

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 220
POSTED: 7/01/10 10:32 PM

Photos from the Olympic race:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8385648@N04/sets/72157624373054116/detail/

I got a ton of you coming in and out of transition, as well as starting the run.

Flickr will only let you download up to 1024x768, but if you want any of the original images, don't hesitate to ask!

Kevin
justmarkham @ gmail

slashykk    JOINED: 5/31/09    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 7/01/10 10:45 PM

I left my clothes at the race and apparently someone has them. I realized when I got to the top of that huge hill and didn't care enough to turn around and go grab them :) If you have them, let me know (katiekeegin@gmail.com), if they didn't make it that is fine too. It's a grey tank top and DC tri shorts.

It was great meeting everyone!

Katie

KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 7/01/10 10:50 PM

Kevin and everyone else -

Thanks for taking all the pictures. That is great!

Pete

POSTED: 7/02/10 9:06 AM

Thanks Kevin for the pictures. Glad that you didn't get me at the finish line - I was starting to look bad enough half way through the 10K as you can see!!

Simon - I'd say we were fairly evenly matched (points per athlete) this year due to the fact that we were on there turf and may not have had the full DC Tri arsenal. I may have even short changed them on a few points because they would have got a few extra for the overall placings. We def need to clean up at Myrtle!

My vote for the Club Champ 2012 is the DC Triathlon - it's only fair!

davebzcmi    JOINED: 12/18/11    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 6/21/12 12:20 PM

I'm doing the Olympic. I'm part of the NTP program and this is my first Tri. I'm going up by myself so I'd love to meet up with some other DC Tri members who may be interested in hanging out and giving any pointers during the weekend.

theresaferry1's ravatar theresaferry1    JOINED: 7/4/11    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 6/22/12 7:46 AM

Hi Dave. I'm doing the Olympic tri on Sunday. I'm heading up to Philly tomorrow and should be at the expo around 1pm and staying at a hotel near there. Feel free to email me if you want to meet up - theresawilson09 at gmail.com. I'm meeting other friends doing the race for dinner in Old City at 6:30 if you want to join us (they've done the race before and could offer some pointers). In either case - good luck!

zorsulak    JOINED: 9/10/11    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 6/22/12 9:40 AM

I'm in for the Olympic on Sunday as well. My friend that was doing it dropped out a few days ago, so I'm on my own. I'm staying in the Rittenhouse area, and I'll throw out the same offer: feel free to email me if you want to meet up: zachary.orsulak at gmail.com.

khangrx    JOINED: 2/16/12    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 6/22/12 11:25 AM

Dave,

Doing the Oly on Sunday as well. Will be having dinner with the family on Sat but can always meetup if there's a DC Tri peeps want to meet up somewhere. kbhrxtri at gmail dot com.

FYI! Water temp for the schuylkill is 81F right now. http://www.phillyrivercast.org/ if you want to check it on Sunday.

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 6/22/12 12:06 PM

I'm in for the Sprint tomorrow. Picking up my packet in the morning. If anyone is over there for packet pick-up today (Friday), would you post any news about water temp here?

See you in Philly!

Andrea

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria