Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

Philly Tri- Who's doing the Olympic Race?
CREATED: 04/08/10 by adilks REPLIES: 86
zorsulak    JOINED: 9/10/11    POSTS: 6
RE: Philly Tri- Who's doing the Olympic Race?
POSTED: 6/22/12 12:20 PM

Because I'm a nerd like that:

USGS has a website that lists the current water data just upstream from the damn (which is near Boathouse Row, just downstream from the swim):
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01474500

As of now, the water temp is in the low 80's. It looks like it cools down overnight, but last night didn't get cool enough to be wetsuit-legal. Some PM rain might help cool it down though.

Water quality conditions also at: http://www.phillyrivercast.org/

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 366
POSTED: 6/22/12 12:36 PM

I hope it cools down 3-degrees to the magic 78.0 that is wetsuit legal! Altho that seems like a big temp drop overnight, particularly since the air temps aren't supposed to drop below 70 tonight. Rain would help cool the water down, but it would create more current... and after swimming the Potomac River Sharkfest 3 weeks ago after a night of heavy rain, I don't want that again!

Getting excited for the sprint race tomorrow morning! Hopefully I'll see some of y'all in transition tomorrow morning before the race, or at the finish festival!

-Luke

khangrx    JOINED: 2/16/12    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 6/22/12 12:42 PM

does anyone know if the DC Tri Tent will be there?

Luke - the current will actually help the oly folks since it's a straight shot downstream but that doesn't really help you and the sprint group.

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 366
POSTED: 6/22/12 12:53 PM

Yes... a current will be very beneficial to olympic race athletes swimming a downstream point-to-point race. But for the few of us in the sprint race tomorrow morning, a current is less than ideal... it will help in the middle of the swim when we're going downstream after swimming under the bridge, but we will have to fight the current swimming upstream for the first 250m, as well as getting caught in cross currents on the 2nd and 4th sides of the rectangular swim.

If I can get access to a computer sometime tomorrow afternoon, I'll try to post something about water conditions, etc after the sprint race is over. If not, anyone who is doing the oly that wants tips on the course, feel free to give me a call... 703-608-3789.

-Luke

davebzcmi    JOINED: 12/18/11    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 6/22/12 1:05 PM

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread. I think I've e-mailed everyone directly and it looks like several of us are going to try to meet up. I'm driving up this afternoon and plan to watch the Sprint tomorrow morning and get a feel for the course before doing the Olympic on Sunday. If anyone new posts to this thread and wants to meet up with us, then please e-mail me at davebzcmi at gmail dot com.

conartist's ravatar conartist    JOINED: 1/31/12    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 6/22/12 2:08 PM

Great idea for getting there early to watch the sprint. I won't arrive until 10Am or so tom. so I'm pretty sure I'll miss it. Want to spend the day exploring the city and hopefully riding a loop of the bike course (if possible) in the afternoon. Hope to be at the expo around 10/10:30. Obviously, I'm doing the Olympic, and I know Chicken Tender is as well as Baltimore stud Ryan McGrath and ex-DCer DoranBosso. Looks like a strong showing from DC metro area...gonna be a tough race fo sho.

sewert12's ravatar sewert12    JOINED: 5/21/10    POSTS: 103
POSTED: 6/23/12 5:14 PM

Heard from the sprint crew (thanks Luke and congrats on 3rd place!) that water temp was 80.2 this morning. Could drop a bit overnight, but we'll likely be racing sans wetsuit. See everyone out there, and good luck tomorrow!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria