Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Run with Kenyan Marathoners during the Folklife Festival
CREATED: 06/28/14 by mtighe REPLIES: 1
mtighe's ravatar mtighe    JOINED: 5/30/12    POSTS: 34
Run with Kenyan Marathoners during the Folklife Festival
POSTED: 6/28/14 10:23 AM

spotted signage regarding this event earlier this morning during a jog on the mall....blurb via the washpost. I'm taking the 3rd off and am going to try and go.

Tegla Loroupe was the first African woman to win the New York City Marathon, and leveraged her prominence to promote peace among warring tribes. Henry Wanyoike lost 95 percent of his eyesight, but went on to compete in races around the world with the help of his track guide Joseph Kibunja. All three athletes will share their stories during the festival in a series of 45-minute sessions called “The Long Distance Runner.” To get to know them even better, lace up your sneakers and meet them for a family-friendly fun run. They’ll start each morning at 10:30 a.m. on the gravel walkway outside the gate of the Kenya Mambo Poa program. (Where they go will depend on the group’s abilities.)

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
RE: Run with Kenyan Marathoners during the Folklife Festival
POSTED: 6/30/14 9:23 PM

Just wanted to mention (as I also posted on the other thread) that Tegla Loroupe hasn't been able to make it to D.C. yet because of a personal matter. The volunteer I spoke with did not know if she would be able to attend the Festival at all. I hope she will be able to make it this week.

Even if she is unable to be here, it's more than worthwhile to meet Henry and Joseph. They speak at the afternoon sessions and participate in the morning fun runs. They are also available at the Kenya House tent where they chat with visitors throughout the day.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria