Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

OWS at Sandy Point Fri, 4/9?
CREATED: 04/08/10 by wombat REPLIES: 10
wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
OWS at Sandy Point Fri, 4/9?
POSTED: 4/08/10 4:23 PM

Thinking of leaving DC around 3:30 pm Friday and heading out to Sandy Point for a quick swim. Any strong swimmers want to join me? Water temps are about 56 degrees, air temp 60 degrees.

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
RE: OWS at Sandy Point Fri, 4/9?
POSTED: 4/08/10 5:34 PM

Reminds me of San Francisco weather - I so want to go. Everyone keep fingers crossed that my plumbers show up at the early part of the window and are done so I can go swimming!

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 4/08/10 8:34 PM

Where is Sandy Point? In Virginia or Maryland?

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1045
POSTED: 4/08/10 9:02 PM

Mark Z, it's in Maryland, the home of the 6% sales tax.

Ooh! I am keeping my options open to heading to Sandy Point after I am done teaching the midgets. Hoping to get there by 3pm and be the guinea pig for everyone.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 4/09/10 10:53 AM

Hugh -- I thought that you were running Pacers Crystal 5k tonight? You're also Open Water Swimming. Impressive.

Mark -- Sandy Point is under the Bay Bridge near Annapolis. One section of the beach is for fisherman. The big portion towards the bridge is for swimming. There are bathrooms/changing rooms and a foot shower to rinse off sand. Not sure if there are showers. Tuan frequents the facilities there. He should know about the showers.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1287
POSTED: 4/09/10 11:22 AM

There are showers with hot and cold water. There is a concession stand. There are toilets that flushes. The lifeguards won't come out full time until the Memorial Day weekend. They come out for weekends only in May.

If you are looking at the water, you can start swimming from the far right side away from all of the buoys all the way up to a little sign that says fishermen left, swimmers right. You can also just swim back and forth from the buoys.

Sandy Point is the last exit before you get to the Bay Bridge. There will be plenty of signs to direct you to Sandy Point once you get near the bridge.

Here is a shameless plug for the
$5 PeasantMan Triathlon Description

Here is also another shameless plug for the $5 PeasantMan Triathlon Sign Up Link

Sandy Point is where PeasantMan triathlon will take place.

Tuan

POSTED: 4/09/10 11:52 AM

Lisa, that is my plan if I can get out of work by 2:15 today. The only way to beat that bridge traffic is to get on the road early and it's only gonna get worse next month.

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 4/09/10 12:23 PM

Think I am going to take advantage of the low(er) pollen count today and run this afternoon/evening and save my Sandy Point swim for Sunday when the pollen count goes back up.

POSTED: 4/10/10 4:25 PM

Well, I was able to get over to SP yesterday and by the hugh-monitor the water is around 54-55 degrees. The wind was whipping around making it difficult to swim from left to right. Gave me good training for CDA (11 weeks away....omg) Best bet is not to go when it's so windy because I was so cold when I got out and it took a while for my feet to warm up.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 4/10/10 7:52 PM

Hardcore, Hugh! Way to get after it.

POSTED: 4/11/10 4:56 PM

Andy, I went out there today for a swim after volunteering at the Cherry Pit race. Got in for around 40 minutes. Much better conditions, but the water is still around 56 degrees. Booties and gloves would have helped. Plus, there are no hot showers available yet.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria