DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

Sunday Bike Ride with the Vertical Swimmer: Year 4 - Return of the Ingrates
CREATED: 03/20/12 by dsgrunning REPLIES: 89
dalutz's ravatar dalutz    JOINED: 3/13/10    POSTS: 34
RE: Sunday Bike Ride with the Vertical Swimmer: Year 4 - Return of the Ingrates
POSTED: 5/30/12 8:46 AM

Tuan,

Could you please add me to the distribution list as well. Thanks.

-Dave

dalutz@gmail.com

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
RE: Sunday Bike Ride with the Vertical
POSTED: 5/30/12 9:10 AM

Ellen/Dave and anyone else who is new to the ride,

There is a bank at the corner of Wisconsin and M Street in Gtown. We meet in the parking lot behind the bank. If you are standing at that corner, you may not see anyone. Go behind the bank and you should find some bikers there by 6:55 AM. We clip at 7:00 AM sharp. Come at 7:01 and you're screwed :)

If at any point you find yourself with a Vietnamese on your wheels, that's the welcoming committee :) Hand gesturing for him to take turn pulling won't get you anywhere. You have been warned.

Tuan

emccann72    JOINED: 4/22/12    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 5/30/12 12:03 PM

Thanks Tuan, I get lost in a paper bag, so the direction is helpful. Just don't let me get lost! And I'll be sure to bring my Jersey Girl hand gestures, maybe that'll do the trick.

Quigmyster's ravatar Quigmyster    JOINED: 4/25/12    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 6/02/12 6:03 PM

Please add! cm@u.northwestern.edu

Craig

gthoyt's ravatar gthoyt    JOINED: 1/22/11    POSTS: 98
longer ride
POSTED: 6/08/12 8:23 AM

Anyone want to go longer than 60 this sunday?
I'm looking to go 100-120.

RE: Sunday Bike Ride with the Vertical Swimmer
POSTED: 6/08/12 8:36 AM

Well, since everyone in the group is doing 70, I think the answer would be yes to your question :)

If it wasn't for the fact that it'll be 90 degrees and I'm lazy, I'd do the 120 with you. If you meet the Silver Spring Express train at the secret location, the 70 would be 86. If you then recalibrate your bike computer, that 85 would be 120 ... the possibilities are endless John :)

Tuan

POSTED: 6/08/12 8:52 AM

huh, it look like you are correct the route is for 70. Well if I re-calibrate and then we use the same navigational skills we did two weeks ago I could end up at 150. That would be awesome!
John

novasupra's ravatar novasupra    JOINED: 12/3/09    POSTS: 70
POSTED: 6/08/12 11:07 AM

John, How far are you thinking? I need to get in 5.5hrs this week.

POSTED: 6/08/12 1:02 PM

How about 101?
I am going to stick with the pack till the poolesville area and then split off and head out to point of rocks (with a small detour to Sugarloaf to get a couple of extra miles).
http://soc.li/A2hDDgf
You in?

POSTED: 6/08/12 8:51 PM

sure let's do it. i'm down for a little extra suffering sunday morning.

npleisch    JOINED: 4/5/12    POSTS: 117
POSTED: 6/30/12 5:51 PM

So... considering the difficulties with debris faced by the Sat morning riders, is there still a Sun morning ride tomorrow?

POSTED: 6/30/12 5:55 PM

Yes. We may to alter our route, but we'll give it a go. Bring money and lots of fluid in case the detour takes us to Saigon.

Tuan

POSTED: 6/30/12 10:19 PM

Went out to whites ferry today, river rd is pretty much clear all the way through, MacArthur and falls rd are clear also. South glen was really dicey this morning, we had to turn back to river road. Persimmon tree was practically not passable before oaklyn heading back to MacArthur, huge trees down with power lines tangled in them. Also bring CASH, gas stations were all without power so no credit cards, most were still open though. Be careful out there, watch the cars because the debris in the shoulders pushes everyone towards the car lanes.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1737
POSTED: 6/30/12 10:32 PM

Sounds like the CIA is employing a scorched-earth policy, perhaps through new weather-altering technology, to harry, harass, and delay the forces of the Fresh Prince.

jgreenfield's ravatar jgreenfield    JOINED: 11/19/10    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 7/04/12 4:30 PM

Thanks to everyone who rode this past Sunday and treated me so well after I took a fall on River Rd. You guys were awesome and although I was pretty out of it at the time, your kindness did not go unnoticed. Directing traffic, shielding me from the sun, and finding ice when it was 100 degrees out - I couldn't have asked for better riding partners.

I'm happy to report that I was discharged from Suburban later on Sunday afternoon - 1 broken clavicle later, but as soon as I'm fully recovered I'll see you @ M and Wisconsin.

Thanks again,
John

POSTED: 7/05/12 7:08 AM

I want to throw out special thanks to Christine, Scott Aubuchon, Michelle Wright, Kim Goldman, and Kanch Algama for not only being there post accident to help John, but were also there to direct traffic, provide first aid, and the dozens of other things that they did to make the situation a lot better than what it could have been.

It was quite spectacular to see everyone jump into action immediately after the accident. It's awesome to know that not only do we have great athlete's ride with us every Sundays, but also that they are better human beings.

As some of you may have known, Kim Goldman also went down. Her injuries were a little bit more sever. She has informed me that she no longer has any testicles. She's a single chick living in the Ballston/Court House/Clarendon area, so I have no idea if she was kidding or telling the truth. Anyway, had she listened to me and worn a cup, this conversation would not be taking place as we speak. Live and learn boys and girl ... live and learn.

Get well soon John. I still need people to pull me :)

Tuan

kag7324    JOINED: 5/5/11    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 7/05/12 8:38 AM

John-
So glad you are home and resting/recovering!

Tuan-
We had a convo about wearing a cup??? whoa! ...maybe my injuries were neurological, bc I have no recollection of that minor detail!!!! (lol...you crack me up;)

On a serious note...I have never been in this type of accident and I am well aware that it could have been wayyy more serious. I am so lucky to have had amazing support from the folks that were on the scene (Tuan, Scott, Michelle, Kanch and Christine); and to the folks that have reached out with 'well wishes', it means more than you know! ;)

Above all, its critical that, even on rides that we have done a million times before, we continue to use extreme caution when we are on the roads (in a group or on our own). Safety first!!!

Have a good day, gang and hope to see you at Hunan 1 tonite! :)

Kim

Mccluer's ravatar Mccluer    JOINED: 5/3/12    POSTS: 34
RE: Sunday 7/15 7:00 AM bike ride fr Georgetown
POSTED: 7/15/12 4:15 PM

Had fun on the ride today even though I got dropped way early. I guess you didn't hear me yell: "But waaaiiit, I'm a single female from the Clarendon area!"

POSTED: 11/01/12 5:25 PM

I'm just updating this thread so say that the Sunday bike rides has shutdown for the 2012 season. I've been getting an email a week asking about this ride, so I thought that I should explicitly state it here. We will continue this ride again in the spring of 2013.

I'm currently living in an undisclosed location in Saigon. I'm having a lot of issues convincing the U.S govt to readmit me to the U.S before the elections.

Tuan

leylajordan    JOINED: 10/26/12    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 6/10/13 7:10 PM

Tuan, can you add me as well please?
leyla.jordan@gmail.com

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria