Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Heart Rate Monitor
CREATED: 12/13/10 by tgrollman REPLIES: 3
tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 225
Heart Rate Monitor
POSTED: 12/13/10 9:13 AM

I'm going to break down and get myself a heart rate monitor for Christmas. Can someone please recoomend a good monitor that is not crazy expensive.

Thanks gang.

Tania.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1063
RE: Heart Rate Monitor
POSTED: 12/13/10 11:03 AM

In my opinion, you can go as cheap as you want and still have an effective HR monitor. But if you end up going real cheap, I'd suggest sticking with Polar.

Look for one that will give you Avg. HR at a minimum. When you're first getting started on HR training your effort will fluctuate a lot so I find that it's more important to view your Avg. HR over the course of a workout than it is to see what your HR is at any given point in a workout. (Not that that isn't also important... )

I have a Garmin Forerunn 305 that does HR and I really like it and would suggest getting something like that if you've got the cash. I recently saw on Amazon that you can get it for under $140. Ask for the bike attachment for Christmas and you can get wireless speed/cadence on the bike for those January trainer workouts.

AWalden's ravatar AWalden    JOINED: 12/13/10    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 12/13/10 11:07 AM

Good morning Tania,
I purchased the Garmin F60 (I think that's the right number) that came with a footpod (to monitor my runs) as well as the HRM. Both the footpod and HRM wirelessly record data to the watch. I've had the watch for over a year and have been very happy - with one exception: I had to return my first watch because the band holder broke after a few months and the one on my current watch also broke (the day of the 9/11 5k no less). Besides this, I love it!

jomwilli's ravatar jomwilli    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 12/13/10 11:21 AM

Tanya, there is soooooo much information out there on HR monitors, any advice would be biased really on here.

Checkout Slowtwitch, google, etc.

Bargain basement I'd go with Polar
Higher end I'd go Garmin

good luck!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria