Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Trying to get involved
CREATED: 12/13/10 by rich1422 REPLIES: 4
rich1422's ravatar rich1422    JOINED: 12/5/09    POSTS: 16
Trying to get involved
POSTED: 12/13/10 12:14 PM

I just renewed my membership and sadly I haven't been very active in the club during my first year. I basically utilized the club website to answer questions that I had while preparing for my first Ironman. Anyway, I'd like to get more involved with the club. I'm not sure how to get started. Any Idea's?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
RE: Trying to get involved
POSTED: 12/13/10 12:30 PM

The most effective way to meet people and gain folks' admirations is to volunteer for a DCTri sponsored event. Group workouts and happy hours are nice ways to meet people but you make a bigger impression and get more bang for your buck if you show up and volunteer for an event. You will interact with people more intimately and athletes will recognize you as one of the volunteers at an event even if they do not remember your name.

Organizing a group workout is also another effective way since folks will be emailing you for details and asked to be put in the workout distro list. It's really simple to do. All you have to do is post something on the forum about a group workout and people will respond to you.

Coming out to races with DCTri gear on will garner automatic street creed. Staying after the race s are over and interacting with club members will make a long lasting impression.

Tuan

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 249
POSTED: 12/13/10 1:28 PM

hey Rich!
Congrats on your first IM! I just did mine in Nov.

I second what Tuan said... I was a member for a while and just kinda lurked. What really got me on the map was simply posting about a group workout (as Tuan mentioned)... in fact, that's how I met Tuan... I posted that I wanted to go ride Cambridge, but didn't want to go alone... next thing I know there are about 15 tri clubbers driving out there to gear up for Eagleman... I planned 2 group rides that summer... then I went to my first HH (feeling more confident as I'd started meeting people)... then I signed up to help Hugh at a training tri and it all came together...

Basically, I followed Tuan's advice without even knowing it. That and I just follow Tuan around, including to IMFL two years running. Anything to get a nod in one of his ride or race reports.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 12/14/10 8:58 AM

Rich! Awesome that you want to get involved. Tuan and Rebecca have some great advice. Volunteer at an event, show up for a group training activity, or come to a happy hour. This weekend is a great event to attend--the annual meeting and Kona viewing at the Arlington Cinema Drafthouse.
http://dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Learn.buzz&id=430

You will learn a lot about what is coming up next year, meet a LOT of people, and get to watch the IronMan world championships on the big screen with a beer. What could be better?

Hope to see you there--

--Abby

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 12/14/10 9:05 AM

Abby, Becki and Tuan are all right! I showed up to a run workout as my first club event four years ago. The past two years I've been on the board of directors organizing our club racing events. Hope you can make it to the Drafthouse on Saturday. -Hugh

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria