Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Race Suggestions for September/ October
CREATED: 08/03/09 by jmgordon REPLIES: 15
jmgordon    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 9
Race Suggestions for September/ October
POSTED: 8/03/09 11:42 AM

Now that we survived NJ, who wants to sign up for another race this season? Do any of our awesome leaders/ veterans have suggestions for good, fairly local races in September & October? Nations is sold out so that’s out of the question. A few I've heard mentioned are:

Naylors Beach Tri (VA) - Sept. 27th, river swim
Giant Acorn Tri (Lake Anna) - Oct. 3rd (oly), Oct 4th (sprint)
Patriots Tri (Williamsburg) - Sept. 13th
General Smallwood (MD) - Sept. 19th (oly), Sept 20 (sprint), bay swim.

Anyone done one of these races?

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
RE: Race Suggestions for September/ October
POSTED: 8/03/09 11:58 AM

I did Naylor's beach last year and had a blast. The event started later than most race (9 am, I think) so I was able to get some much-needed sleep before the race. River swim had strong, but manageable current; bike course had some challenging rollers and three big hills; first half of bike course was shaded country roads, second half on unshaded highway, entire course open to traffic but I never felt unsafe/in danger of being run over; and a flat, unshaded run. Well-organized event with tasty post-race food.

I am doing Patriots Half this year on 9/12.

NOTE: ACCORDING TO SETUPEVENTS.COM, THE RUN COURSE IS BEING CHANGED AND A NEW RUN COURSE WILL BE POSTED SOON!

I am going down to Williamsburg either this Saturday or Sunday (will check weather reports and then decide) to ride the course and would love company. If anyone wants to join me, shoot me an email.

Tammy_L_Farmer@hotmail.com

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 8/03/09 11:59 AM

Don't forget the Savageman Oly (Sept 20)! Muhahaha! ::B^>::

Seriously though, I did the race last year in my rookie season and I won't lie, it's tough, but Deep Creek Lake is always a fun time.

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 251
POSTED: 8/03/09 12:12 PM

I may do this. Close to 2 1/2 hrs from DC but one to think about for any fellow PA natives:

Marshman™ Triathlon in Downingtown, PA on September 20
1/4 Mile Swim~12.5 Mile Bike~2 Mile Run

BTW. Sandy, had nightmares after talking to you about Savageman on Friday. Other newbies beware!

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 8/03/09 12:35 PM

I've done Smallwood several times, both the sprint and Oly. It's an excellent race, very close to DC, and well-run. The bike and run have rolling hills on lightly-traveled, rural roads. The swim can be a bit seaweed-y.

skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
POSTED: 8/03/09 12:49 PM

I know a couple of us are doing Giant Acorn first weekend of October down at Lake Anna. Must.do.one.more.before.winter.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 8/03/09 4:53 PM

Anyone ever done the Brierman Sprint or Half Lite 50?
It's 10/4...

http://www.piranha-sports.com/Race53.aspx

rcole's ravatar rcole    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 8/03/09 5:01 PM

I've done the Brierman Sprint -- it's really half the half lite, so longer than a normal sprint. MASSIVE 1 and 1/2 mile hill that I was not prepared for. But, well run and a fun event.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1264
POSTED: 8/03/09 5:36 PM

I'm probably going to do Belly of the Beast. They have a sprint and 70.3 distance but no oly. I'm going to do the half. It's in NJ and is on Sept 27.

http://www.njmultisport.com/

Anyone else doing it ?

Tuan

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 8/03/09 6:51 PM

Seagull Century! (metric option available)

Sat 10 Oct, Eastern Shore, s'posed to be a great time. Last year it was the day after the ATM so I didn't do it, though Ed gave me grief for giving up a reverse brick workout.

I'm definitely in this year and hope to get a group to ride together for fun.

http://www.seagullcentury.org/docs/SGC_Brochure_09.pdf

Mimi :)

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 611
POSTED: 8/03/09 9:50 PM

Seagull Rocks. Some nuts had Seagull / ATM planned as a training weekend :)
This is also good one if you feel like a fun day on the bike:
http://www.baltobikeclub.org/index.pl/cwc

Also recommend Fantasy Football for all your sporting needs.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1050
POSTED: 8/03/09 10:05 PM

I'll definitely be seeing many of you Ironpeople out on the century ride circuit this fall.

Tuan- Belly of the Beast looks like a good race. It doesn't fit into my plan very well but it looks like one of the last Half-IM options for the season. I've been looking for one in October but I'm not having much luck. Oh well.

Katie did both Naylor's Beach and General Smallwood last year and had a great time at both. Definitely both races are good options for those of you looking to race again this summer.

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 8/03/09 11:24 PM

Austin 70.3 is still open in Oct...

Civil War Century may be a good warmup for Nations the next day. I'll consider :)

And this year there's actually NCAA fantasy football, not that my team will actually do anything...

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 8/04/09 7:34 AM

I signed up for Diamondman - http://www.piranha-sports.com/Race48.aspx - in Bear, DE, on 13 September. It has both a half and a sprint.

Smallwood is also a good race. Swim is a little nasty but a good bike & run courses and it is well directed.

susannah's ravatar susannah    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 8/06/09 11:13 PM

For those of you doing lake anna giant acorn, anyone know anything about lodging? Looks like there is only one hotel or you can go with rental homes. Anyone want to go in together for a big house for the weekend? Looks like about $400 for the weekend avg. to sleep 8-10 ppl on the lake. Email me at susannah.ware at gmail if interested.

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 8/12/09 9:36 AM

i'm signed up for General Smallwood (I bet the soldiers got a lot of jokes out of his name). Is anybody else signed up for it?

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria