Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

to aero or not to aero
CREATED: 12/30/09 by nbehappy REPLIES: 3
nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
to aero or not to aero
POSTED: 12/30/09 3:34 PM

i remember swearing to myself that i would never wear an aero helmet. but now that they're on sale... i guess my question is, what is the silliness quotient of the aero helmet? is what you lose in self-esteem worth the improved aerodynamics?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1270
RE: to aero or not to aero
POSTED: 12/30/09 4:50 PM

For what it's worth, you see the aero helmets mostly among the podium seekers in sprints and oly distances ... and even very few at that. You see it a tiny bit more among the middle of the pack folks at the HIM distance. At the IM distance, it seems like everyone wear one of things no matter their speed.

I guessed the moral of the story is that the longer the distance, the more beneficial the yield. From what I've read, aero helmet (if you stay in the aero position most of the time) yield almost the same results as the fancy aerowheels. If you are one of those who like to look around a lot during a race to check out the scenery and other riders than you diminish the benefit. I personally think that if you are doing a flat long course like Eagleman or an Ironman distance race that they are worth it.

If you want, I can out all of the people in DCTri who owns one of those but will only take them out during a competition or last long ride before a competition. There are a lot ... a lot of them :)

Maybe we should organize an aero helmet support group ride where only folks with aero helmets are allowed to come so that society can better accept our kind. We are afterall still part of the human family. We bleed just like they bleed. We cry just like they cry. We have feelings too.

Disclosure: I own one and have worn one out in society so it must be cool :)

Tuan

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1051
POSTED: 12/30/09 5:36 PM

I borrowed one for a race and, while I don't feel like it necessarily made me any faster, it definitely didn't make me any slower.

I did feel like one of the cool kids when I wore it though and that's way more important than the extra speed anyway.

If you're planning to do a few longer races and aren't planning on finishing in last place, I say wear it. Just don't wear it on a bunch of training rides because then the cool quotient will diminish exponentially.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 12/30/09 5:47 PM

honestly, i dont' think they make a difference for 99% of people.

most of the time savings is based on lab results and calculations on drag numbers and such, real world is not lab. also this assumes that you actually keep your head in the same position and not move around much, again not really fasible for most people. also you hear so much about aero this or that and people spend literally thousands on bikes that are "super aero" but then put on tons of bento boxes, waterbottles, etc and i'm no aero expert but that can't improve aerodynamics on that "super aero" bike or else the manufacturer would have put that stuff on it.

that being said.

if the helmets are on sale and YOU want one and can afford it, then get it! They definitlye have a sorta cool look, but that is highly subjective ;) LOL

also the one thing to take into account is that aero helmets in hot weather conditions are hotter helmets than a standard helmet, at least that is what i think.

the major advantage of aerohelmets really is "if you think you will go faster with it on, you probably will"

Get one, or if iyou want a totally illegal one that can't be used in any triathlons in the US i have a medium giro one taht i'll sell you cheap.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria