Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Training Question
CREATED: 08/03/09 by trithis73 REPLIES: 3
trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
Training Question
POSTED: 8/03/09 5:31 PM

Ok. Had to walk from the Pentagon to the Annex, and according to my Garmin it was a 1.4 mile walk. Then I walked back, and had to do it all over again, for a total of 5.6 miles of walking. After work I rode the metro home, and decided it's a nice day to walk home, which is 1.2 miles from my apartment, according to my tell tale Garmin. Now I have a total of 6.8 miles walking at a pretty brisk pace, almost 4 mph.

Now my question to you. I have about a 45 min run today, and i have walked about 1 hour 45 min at a substantial pace. Can I utilize that as my cardio, instead of the run??
Can't wait to hear the answer, as soon as I get back from my run.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
RE: Training Question
POSTED: 8/03/09 5:48 PM

Talking strictly from a cardio perspective, I think that the answer lies in your heart rate. If your brisk walk is at an elevated heart rate level for most of the walk then I would count it as a cardio workout.

However, I wouldn't use this loophole too often since the only way to run better is to run :) ... just like the only way to be a better biker is to bike and the only way to be a better swimmer is to swim. Once we start substituting other "equals" into the equation, we start to only cheat ourselves.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 8/03/09 6:37 PM

if you are trainining for the race walk in the olympics then it counts.

if you are coming off a leg injury and can't run then it counts.

if you are completely healthy and can easily run and training to run the run in a triathlon or running race then you were just too lazy to take fossil fuel transportation like you should have for all that walking instead.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 462
POSTED: 8/04/09 7:37 AM

Walking will not make you a faster runner but it helps to improve your overall fitness.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria