Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Physically Disqualified From My Deployment
CREATED: 12/30/09 by trithis73 REPLIES: 17
trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
Physically Disqualified From My Deployment
POSTED: 12/30/09 10:23 PM

Well I am in California. I never thought this day would come where I have been found not qualified physically to deploy. Seems some new regulations have come about where my high cholesterol is a flag to decline me medically. So basically I am coming home after a week of work ups. I don't know what to say, I am VERY upset and embarrassed that I have been told I can't serve, because of something as stupid as that. After 18 plus years I am told I can't do my job, even though this is something that can be medicated to control. On the upside, looks like i will be around next season, as I will be coming home tomorrow or some time this weekend. I am going to have to call and email race directors to get in some of these races that I was in. See you all in training and around.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1334
RE: Physically Disqualified From My Deployment
POSTED: 12/30/09 10:43 PM

Doesn't IMFL owes you two flat tires ? ... just saying :)

Welcome back. I'm sure that your daughter won't be complaining.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1065
POSTED: 12/31/09 12:04 AM

Mark, you have already done enough for our county. I truly thank you for your years of service. They are definitely losing a true soldier over in the Middle East. High cholesteral? I thought if anything it would be because of your vertically challenged ability.

Welcome back! It'll be great to see you!
-Hugh

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1795
POSTED: 12/31/09 12:39 AM

Just make sure you return the gift from the farewell party. :)

amacos's ravatar amacos    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 157
POSTED: 12/31/09 12:46 AM

Welcome back friend! We canĀ“t wait to have you back in DC with us! A&M

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 12/31/09 8:43 AM

bummer but try to sign up for some olyumpic distance races next season , looking forward to racing against you next year for another season of smack talking.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1069
POSTED: 12/31/09 9:26 AM

Mark -- There's nothing to be embarrassed about. We're glad to have you back and thank you for your many deployments and years of service.

As fas as your anger goes... I have a feeling we'll need to watch out this season while you work it out on the race course.

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 12/31/09 10:45 AM

Mark - There's no need to be embarrassed. You have already done so much to serve our country, and for that we are all very grateful. With that said, I have to selfishly admit that I'm glad that you're going to be around (especially for Kailyn!). Their loss is our gain. We'll have to go out for some beers, burgers, and cheese fries to celebrate! :::^b::

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 12/31/09 11:06 AM

Mark--I'm so sorry to hear that. Have a safe trip home.

charlie's ravatar charlie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 61
POSTED: 12/31/09 11:28 AM

nothing to be embarrassed about mark - like someone said above - your daughter will be glad for you to be back

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 12/31/09 12:23 PM

Are you even old enough to have served for over 18 years? All I gotta say is, wow on both fronts: wow that you've done so much and are disappointed that you can't do yet even more, and wow that something like that can count as a disqualification (when I'm sure we need every good man and woman we can get over there).

Either way, I have to admit that I'm breathing a sigh of relief for you over here and am secretly thrilled to have you back on US soil for next year.

tatuskocs's ravatar tatuskocs    JOINED: 9/2/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 12/31/09 12:59 PM

We have never met but I am interested in the high cholesterol information they gave you. What type of numbers did they use to "mark" you as high risk for deployment (and it's documented, which is good for VA purposes)? I did a SOF deployment in '06 and another in '08 and blood work and the like was never even brought up (I'm a reservist). Know how you feel when you can't be out there with your boys, as I sit behind my desk these days. Just wondering if I want to go back out for another spin in the sandbox, will I be rolling up my sleve for more shots and a cholesterol screening.

Safe return

Collin

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 1/01/10 4:48 PM

Mark,

I'm stunned, but not surprised. I'm very sorry...I know how you wanted to answer the call, as it were.

You will continue to do great things right here at home, I have no doubt. Will you stay at the Pentagon?

Like others have voiced, selfishly glad you're here with us, though. Chin up...there's a blessing in this somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing you soon,

Paula

Lesh's ravatar Lesh    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 1/01/10 6:41 PM

Mark,

Just adding one more sorry, but glad you'll be here.

Mike

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 101
POSTED: 1/01/10 9:52 PM

Mark,

To echo what others have said, I too am shocked but happy to have you back! Nothing to be embarrassed about (though I know that if you transfer to the Army that would not make you non-deployable!). I think the risk is that statin use to treat hyperlipidemia can potentially precipitate rhabdomyolysis, especially in the setting of heat + exertion, but that's just me going out on a limb to explain something that doesn't seem to make much sense.

All in all, you are clearly meant to be home to see Kailyn take her first steps (and ride your new P4) and to be back training with us!

See you soon!
Mimi

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
POSTED: 1/02/10 12:30 PM

Odysseus: [to Achilles] War is young men dying and old men talking. You know this. Ignore the politics.
-----Troy

You're an old man buddy. Get that tricycle out and start training. As my First Sergeant said (to us 'in between the wars' folks who trained relentlessly with no deployments) - it is enough that you were there and you were willing and trained. Sometimes your are just not called.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 463
POSTED: 1/02/10 4:59 PM

I've learned after 21 years in the Navy that things always seem to work out for the best. And remember what JFK said:

...any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: I served in the United States Navy (or Army, Marine Corps, Air Force).

ssinclai's ravatar ssinclai    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 45
POSTED: 1/03/10 11:19 PM

I agree w/ everyone. It is silly to be upset and embarrassed. If you've served for over 18 years, be proud that you served your country for so many years. And be happy that you'll be able to see your daughter more.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria