DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Quick Poll: DC Tri Club Masters Program
CREATED: 08/19/11 by rtroll REPLIES: 55
rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 500
Quick Poll: DC Tri Club Masters Program
POSTED: 8/19/11 2:38 PM

Hey everyone -

With the recent closure of the Catholic University pool, the Board is considering options to launch a slightly more formalized masters program for members. We're in the planning phase and would like some quick feedback from folks. Please just respond to this thread with your thoughts on the following questions. Feel free to include any additional ideas for us to take into consideration.

1. How many days a week would you want the club to offer a formal masters swimming program

2. Would you prefer morning or evening sessions? If you don't have a preference please indicate so.

3. In the past we've charged $5 per session to cover pool costs at CAU. The new program would charge monthly, or quarterly, to cover program expenses. Would you be willing to pay in advance like this?

4. Average costs for local masters programs range from $75 per month to $125 per quarter. How much would you be willing to spend per month for a DC Tri club masters program?

5. The club is considering partnering with DC Parks & Recreation as well as WaveOne Swimming to bring a comprehensive program to our members. In general, what are your expectations with such a program (i.e. lane space, workouts, coaching, etc)

6. There are 3 indoor pool locations the club is considering for the program including Takoma Park, Wilson Aquatics, Marie Reed and Turkey Thicket. Do you have a preference for any one of the four listed?

Your feedback and thoughts are much appreciated!

Ryan - DCT Partnerships
Abby - DCT Training
Hugh - DCT Race Director

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
RE: Quick Poll: DC Tri Club Masters Program
POSTED: 8/19/11 3:37 PM

Did anyone contact Trinity (University) about using their pool? It is right across the street from Catholic. I am a Trinity grad and they have a nice looking pool (which wasn't there when I was there by the way - there was a pond under the science building complete with Greecian sculptures - that's where we took the swim test for crew - talk about gross - I think I am immune from those brain eating amoebas after having swum in that pond). Don't know whether it is 25 yds or 25 meters though?

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 8/19/11 3:47 PM

I like the idea of making a more formal program.

1. 3 Days a week
2. Prefer evening.
3. No problem paying early.
4. Price can be whatever is appropriate, depending on what's included. I'll elaborate below.
5. I'll roll this in below too.
6. For me, Takoma Park is starting to push it in terms of distance Metro-wise, and I think that would push me away. I would do any of the other 3 (you listed 4, not 3). Wilson would be awesome.

As for the price and expectations:

I notice those are all DC public pools. As a DC resident, I can swim at any of those pools for free. So if it's just a duplicate of the current Catholic setup where Hugh posts a workout and everyone mostly does their own thing, I'd probably expect a much lower price than the masters programs you quoted. I liked the Catholic setup mostly because it was fairly empty and everyone was on the same page, so you never had to dodge people like you do in the public pools. So I could pay a premium if it reduces congestion, but it's kind of pushing it unless something extra is added.

Haven't had a chance to participate in anything WaveOne was doing with the club, but if they offered some good coaching and individual stroke technique help, that could definitely make it worth the cost to me.

cvegh    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 8/19/11 7:17 PM

I like A LOT the idea of a more formal program both for training and speed/technique improvement.

Responses:

1. How many days a week would you want the club to offer a formal masters swimming program

3-4 days a week.

2. Would you prefer morning or evening sessions? If you don't have a preference please indicate so.

I prefer late evenings.

3. In the past we've charged $5 per session to cover pool costs at CAU. The new program would charge monthly, or quarterly, to cover program expenses. Would you be willing to pay in advance like this?

Yes.

4. Average costs for local masters programs range from $75 per month to $125 per quarter. How much would you be willing to spend per month for a DC Tri club masters program?

It depends on what the program offers. If coaches are willing to spend a little bit of time helping with stroke improvement and general training tips, I don't mind paying more. I have tried some masters swimming programs in the past and perhaps I was unlucky but did not get much out of them and just dropped out. Coaches did not seem to care too much (again, perhaps I was just unlucky). Aside from some individual lessons, I have essentially worked on my own for even 1/2 IM, which is rather boring!

5. The club is considering partnering with DC Parks & Recreation as well as WaveOne Swimming to bring a comprehensive program to our members. In general, what are your expectations with such a program (i.e. lane space, workouts, coaching, etc)

My main objective is to improve technique and have a group to train, so coaching and lane space would be paramount.

6. There are 3 indoor pool locations the club is considering for the program including Takoma Park, Wilson Aquatics, Marie Reed and Turkey Thicket. Do you have a preference for any one of the four listed?

Yes, Wilson would be the best for me.

Carlos.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 8/19/11 9:25 PM

Ryan - thanks for posting this.

The issue with Catholic U. is that when the students return in late August we were no longer allowed to practice there. This is due to the collegiate team practice schedule in the evenings there. It wouldn't be until mid-February when we could practice there again. So basically, we got to use CUA for 6+ months.

novasupra's ravatar novasupra    JOINED: 12/3/09    POSTS: 70
POSTED: 8/20/11 12:21 AM

This would be great...

<2-3 days>

<early morning>

<definitely>

<like posters above, depends on what is provided, if we can get good swim instruction, I would have no problem paying the going rate>

<for me, primarily coaching and lane space>

<Wilson, Wilson, Wilson!>

Great idea, hope it pans out!

Lester

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1061
POSTED: 8/20/11 5:17 PM

I reached out to Trinity a year or two ago and was shot down quickly with the "Our pool is always filled" excuse. Note: If you reach out to them again, please make sure to get Trinity in DC and not Boston or wherever the other one is. I did that a couple of times, too. Gallaudet has a pool but I had no luck getting a response.

1. 2-3 days a week. I would like more but realistically, I wouldn't be able to make it more than 2 times and possibly a weekend.

2. Weekday evenings - 6:30-8 always worked well for me at CUA. A potential mid-day weekend swim that wouldn't interfere w/ bike runs would also be great.

3. Pay in advance would be fine

4. I would pay $50 per month if it meant that I could (a) swim in a lane with like minded swimmers or (b) improve my stroke and speed. If I received both of those benefits, $75/mo would be okay.

5. See above

6. Turkey Thicket, Wilson, in that order. Unless you could get the Eastern Market pool. Because that would be awesome for me.

Thanks for looking at this, guys. The board is doing an awesome job!

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 953
POSTED: 8/20/11 5:27 PM

Wherever the other one is?! That would be in San Antonio, TX thank you very much! :::^)::

simcaha1's ravatar simcaha1    JOINED: 2/10/11    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 8/21/11 7:40 PM

1) How many days a week would you want the club to offer a formal masters swimming program

2-3

Late Evenings

I would rather a pay as you go system

I would like to improve my stroke, and prefer lane space.

I live in Silver Spring, therefore Takoma Park would work best for me.

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 147
POSTED: 8/21/11 7:46 PM

1. How many days a week would you want the club to offer a formal masters swimming program. (I would probably only show up for 2 weekdays and possibly 1 weekend)

2. Would you prefer morning or evening sessions? If you don't have a preference please indicate so. (evening!)

3. In the past we've charged $5 per session to cover pool costs at CAU. The new program would charge monthly, or quarterly, to cover program expenses. Would you be willing to pay in advance like this? (yes)

4. Average costs for local masters programs range from $75 per month to $125 per quarter. How much would you be willing to spend per month for a DC Tri club masters program? ($50-$75 per month since right now, without a maters program, DC pools are free to use. I would also like to see a drop in rate, since there are months I know I will only be able to go once or twice because of travel)

5. The club is considering partnering with DC Parks & Recreation as well as WaveOne Swimming to bring a comprehensive program to our members. In general, what are your expectations with such a program (Workouts and coaching are my top priorities. As long as the group in the lane is all on the same workout and about the same speed, sharing is not a huge deal for me.)

6. There are 3 indoor pool locations the club is considering for the program including Takoma Park, Wilson Aquatics, Marie Reed and Turkey Thicket. Do you have a preference for any one of the four listed? (Wilson, Turkey Thicket, Takoma.... metro accessible please)

Dena

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 203
POSTED: 8/21/11 10:18 PM

1. 3 days M/W/F

2. mornings

3. yes

4. willing to pay the going rate for a quality masters program with good coaching (see 5)

5. WaveOne rocks! In general, expect lane space, structured workouts, and interactive coaching (just as I would from any masters program)

6. Wilson only

-Ferguson

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1740
POSTED: 8/21/11 11:19 PM

1. 3 weekdays, 1 weekend day.

2. Eve in summer, morn in winter.

3. Yes to pre- or post-payment.

4. $60-80.

5. Coaching comparable to Curl-Burke, Sarah Thorpe, or the Vertical Swimmer. 50-meter lanes preferable. Workout handouts. Special events like national competitions against teams in other cities, or the Jan.1 10K swim.

6. Wilson Aquatics, Turkey Thicket. Wash-Lee? New Crystal City 50-meter pool when it finally is built...?

Tynan's ravatar Tynan    JOINED: 1/17/11    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 8/22/11 8:51 AM

I like!

1. 2-3 days (2 during week; 1 weekend day)

2. Morning

3. OK w/Advance Payment

4. No more than $100.

5. Flexible workouts for people with different goals. Quality coaching, including proper stroke technique. Crowded lanes ok b/c its good practice for racing. And I'm not sure if this is possible and / or typical for a Masters program, but once the weather warms up, maybe the program could include OWS on the weekend instead of a pool workout. Just a thought.

6. Wilson

-Tom

rumpuscat's ravatar rumpuscat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 8/22/11 10:05 AM

I'm really interested in getting to be a better swimmer and getting to know people better--as a slow runner/biker I have a hard time keeping up at those workouts, but everyone is in the same pool regardless of speed, right? :)

1. 2 to 3 days
2. Prefer evenings, but could be flexible
3. Willing to pay in advance
4. I'd think around $50/month
5. Coaching and workouts would be great--I learned to swim as an adult, so I've never had much coaching or structured workouts for swimming
6. Marie Reed and Takoma Park are nice for me, especially if the one you mean in Takoma is the one in the Montgomery CC rec center. That's a great pool and it's really nice and quiet in there!

bonniemg    JOINED: 6/18/10    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 8/22/11 10:27 AM

I'm in same boat as rumpuscat. Interested in getting more efficient and a bit faster.

1. 2 days
2. AM, I swim at Takoma Park most days at 7.
3. Pay in advance ok
4. 50-100 would be ok
5. Coaching and structured workouts for slow but steady hoping to get faster and steadier.
6. Takoma Park (I live in College Park. Wilson and Marie Reed are too far and Turkey Thicket is small and crowded. TP is usually almost empty in the morning.)

saubbie23's ravatar saubbie23    JOINED: 1/11/11    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 8/22/11 10:35 AM

I like the idea as well.

1. 3 Days a week would be nice.
2. No real preference on morning vs night.
3. Pay in advance would be fine.
4.As others have said, it would really depend on where the swims were and what was included in the practices. In general, I would be willing to pay the going rate as long as that included quality practices and some individual attention regarding technique.
5. Variety of workouts for differing goals. OWS would be awesome during the warmer months.
6. Marie Reed or Wilson

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 8/22/11 1:49 PM

1. 2-4 days/wk. Depends on times available.
2. PM (actually later is better)
3. Yes
4. Depends -- $125/mo is fine if there's good instruction. $75 is too much if it's just a workout sheet. Also, the more a la carte, the better (like Ancient Mariners' setup), but I understand that could be tough starting out.
5. I need the coaching and technique work more than pool access. Workouts with variety and some periodization for tri should be a given (i.e. I'm not peaking in January for some USMS national meet). And all coaches need to be working from the same playbook. I don't mind sharing a lane w/ 3-4+ more people (of nearly equal pace). It'd be very helpful to get some stroke analysis and videotaping even on an infrequent basis.
6. Wilson Aquatics

-Jason

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 265
POSTED: 8/22/11 1:57 PM

1. 2-4 days a week - potentially with different times of day - since some can't do evenings and some can't do mornings.

2. MORNING

3. Pay in advance is fine - better actually

4. Agree with most others - the payment just needs to be suited to what we are being provided - entry into a DC pool for VA residents? reserved lanes? coaching? stroke assistance? structured workouts?

5. Not entirely sure what this one means.

6. Any discussion of setting up an operation at W&L?

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 500
POSTED: 8/22/11 2:06 PM

Great feedback so far. Keep em' coming! Follow on question:

Would people be willing to rotate locations through the course of the week? Ex: So say we did the weekday workouts at a DC pool and then one weekend workout at a VA or MD pool to accomodate for the geographical diversity of our club?

Ryan

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 203
POSTED: 8/22/11 3:31 PM

re: multiple locations, that would be a logistics nightmare. Can't make everyone happy. DC is the happy medium of NoVa & Md. Location should be metro accessible. There are plenty of existing masters programs available for suburbanites (NoVa / MD residents) who want to stay close to home.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria