Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Quick Poll: DC Tri Club Masters Program
CREATED: 08/19/11 by rtroll REPLIES: 55
karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
RE: Quick Poll: DC Tri Club Masters Program
POSTED: 8/22/11 3:41 PM

I'd prefer not rotating location, but depending on how it's scheduled, it may not affect my decision.

lizard151    JOINED: 5/8/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 8/22/11 5:00 PM

1. How many days a week would you want the club to offer a formal masters swimming program? 2

2. Would you prefer morning or evening sessions? If you don't have a preference please indicate so. I'd prefer evenings, could do mornings.

3. In the past we've charged $5 per session to cover pool costs at CAU. The new program would charge monthly, or quarterly, to cover program expenses. Would you be willing to pay in advance like this? Absolutely

4. Average costs for local masters programs range from $75 per month to $125 per quarter. How much would you be willing to spend per month for a DC Tri club masters program? $125 per quarter would be brilliant; I think I could do $50. I'm most interested in affordable coaching, and I understand the limitations that come with that.

5. The club is considering partnering with DC Parks & Recreation as well as WaveOne Swimming to bring a comprehensive program to our members. In general, what are your expectations with such a program (i.e. lane space, workouts, coaching, etc). I don't know what to expect from a program, but like I said, I understand limitations that come with lower pricing. I would like some individualized attention--workouts don't have to be tailored for me, but I'd like to have the coach know my name and be able to watch me swim over the course of the hour. I participated in the Y Tri program, and there were about 12 people assigned to an hour with a coach. It was $100 for 18 weeks on top of my Y dues. I realize that's a steal, but that's the kind of coaching ratio I'd love to see.

6. There are 3 indoor pool locations the club is considering for the program including Takoma Park, Wilson Aquatics, Marie Reed and Turkey Thicket. Do you have a preference for any one of the four listed? Wilson or Marie Reed are my preferred venues. I'd probably still travel to the other two. I'm very interested in such a program.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1061
POSTED: 8/22/11 5:27 PM

Ryan --

Planning a rotating pool schedule may or may not be a total pain, I don't know about that.

But, it might increase the participation of the program if half of the swims were more convenient to us. Swimming is already one of the most time consuming sessions in our training schedules and a revolving location would help make it 'fair' for all of us.

rdolan's ravatar rdolan    JOINED: 8/8/11    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 8/22/11 5:30 PM

1. How many days a week would you want the club to offer a formal masters swimming program? 2-3

2. Would you prefer morning or evening sessions? If you don't have a preference please indicate so. I'd prefer mornings.

3. In the past we've charged $5 per session to cover pool costs at CAU. The new program would charge monthly, or quarterly, to cover program expenses. Would you be willing to pay in advance like this? Yes

4. Average costs for local masters programs range from $75 per month to $125 per quarter. How much would you be willing to spend per month for a DC Tri club masters program? Depends on what we're getting. Be willing to pay more for more personalized coaching.

5. The club is considering partnering with DC Parks & Recreation as well as WaveOne Swimming to bring a comprehensive program to our members. In general, what are your expectations with such a program (i.e. lane space, workouts, coaching, etc).
Depends on the cost, but I'd like the coach to know my name and be able to give me feedback and note improvement over time.

6. There are 3 indoor pool locations the club is considering for the program including Takoma Park, Wilson Aquatics, Marie Reed and Turkey Thicket. Do you have a preference for any one of the four listed? Wilson.

smitha9's ravatar smitha9    JOINED: 1/12/11    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 8/22/11 10:27 PM

This would be great. I'd pay for a program 2 days a week, the later the better, at a Wilson or Marie Reed.

This seems like a great opportunity to show community support for the 50 meter lanes at Wilson.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 456
POSTED: 8/23/11 7:25 AM

I would be interested in joining a Master swimming program.

1. 2-3 x per week
2. Evening ~ 6 pm
3. Yes
4. $100-125 per month
5. Learn how to swim a little faster!!
6. Wilson or Takoma. I work in Rockville so downtown pools are almost impossible to get to for me.

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 8/23/11 12:57 PM

I'm in same boat as rumpuscat. Interested in getting more efficient and a bit faster.

1. 2 - 3 days
2. Doesn't matter
3. Pay in advance is ok
4. 50-100 would be ok
5. Coaching and structured workouts for slow but steady hoping to get faster and steadier.
6. I would love it to be at Wilson for selfish reasons - but wherever is picked, I just need it to be metro assesible.

sboulter    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 8/24/11 11:46 AM

1. 2 days
2. mornings
3. pay in advance ok
4. flexible
5. coaching and structured workouts
6. Wilson

cassxski    JOINED: 8/9/11    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 8/24/11 12:37 PM

I would be interested in joining a Master swimming program.

1. 2-3 x per week
2. Evening ~ 6 pm
3. Yes
4. $100-125 per month
5. Learn how to swim a little faster!!
6. Open

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 424
POSTED: 8/24/11 12:42 PM

1. 2-3 days/ wk
2. Mornings, pref 5:30/6 am
3. Yes, monthly - but pref pay as you go
4. $75/month
5. WaveOne
6. Wilson Aquatics/ Marie Reed Pool

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 8/24/11 1:13 PM

1. How many days a week would you want the club to offer a formal masters swimming program?
- 2-4 days/week

2. Would you prefer morning or evening sessions? If you don't have a preference please indicate so.
- Morning, 5:30-6 am start time

3. In the past we've charged $5 per session to cover pool costs at CAU. The new program would charge monthly, or quarterly, to cover program expenses. Would you be willing to pay in advance like this?
- I prefer paying monthly or weekly

4. Average costs for local masters programs range from $75 per month to $125 per quarter. How much would you be willing to spend per month for a DC Tri club masters program?
- I would gladly pay up to $50/month

5. The club is considering partnering with DC Parks & Recreation as well as WaveOne Swimming to bring a comprehensive program to our members. In general, what are your expectations with such a program (i.e. lane space, workouts, coaching, etc)
- Having a 50m pool with lanes to share with no more than 2-3 other people would be ideal. Weekly workout schedules would be a great help, and any one-on-one attention from a coach would be a great perk!

6. There are 3 indoor pool locations the club is considering for the program including Takoma Park, Wilson Aquatics, Marie Reed and Turkey Thicket. Do you have a preference for any one of the four listed?
- I would prefer something in NoVa, but if that's not possible, I suppose Wilson would be the most convenient in DC.

Your feedback and thoughts are much appreciated!

RedShift's ravatar RedShift    JOINED: 1/24/11    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 8/24/11 5:28 PM

Great idea!

1. 3 days (2 during week; 1 on Sunday)

2. Late Evenings

3. OK w/Advance Payment

4. Depends on Program..

5. Stroke technique driven!

6. Wilson would be amazing

-JC

Gato's ravatar Gato    JOINED: 4/25/11    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 8/25/11 9:29 AM

1. 2-3 days
2. Morning
3. Advance pay is ok.
4. Tough question. It would depend on how crowded and how much individual stroke analysis I was getting. $75 for little help, $150 for a lot of attention.
5. I would like structured workouts with some help to make my stroke more efficient.
6. Wilson (50 meters would be nice) and Takoma Park is best.
Hope this works out.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 8/25/11 10:20 AM

1. How many days a week?
- 2-4 days/week

2. Would you prefer morning or evening sessions?
- Evenings, including 7-8pm (or later, if poss.)

3. Would you be willing to pay in advance like this?
- Yes - what about using a punchcard-type system?

4. How much would you be willing to spend per month ?
- If there's coaching, then definitely $50-75/month, but if not, then not as much, since I can do swim workouts out of a binder at Wilson for free.

5. In general, what are your expectations with such a program (i.e. lane space, workouts, coaching, etc)
- My prime reason for wanting to be in a masters program would be to have coaching/feedback.

6. There are 3 indoor pool locations the club is considering for the program including Takoma Park, Wilson Aquatics, Marie Reed and Turkey Thicket. Do you have a preference for any one of the four listed?
- I would prefer Wilson, with Takoma second.

miataj's ravatar miataj    JOINED: 3/5/11    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 8/25/11 11:10 AM

1. 2-3 days per week
2. Evening sessions (after 7)
3. Yes, would be willing to pay in advance
4. Depending on the setup, probably not above $75. since I can go to DC pools for free.
5. Quality workouts, good coaches and an appropriate amount of space (doesn't need to be too big).
6. I love Wilson aquatics!

mhuizenga's ravatar mhuizenga    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 8/25/11 5:18 PM

1. How many days a week would you want the club to offer a formal masters swimming program
3 days

2. Would you prefer morning or evening sessions? If you don't have a preference please indicate so.

Mornings

3. In the past we've charged $5 per session to cover pool costs at CAU. The new program would charge monthly, or quarterly, to cover program expenses. Would you be willing to pay in advance like this?

yes, a punch pass would be good. The masters program I used to do in Annandale had 10 punches for so much. That way you didn't waste your money if you couldn't come. Works for those that travel.

4. Average costs for local masters programs range from $75 per month to $125 per quarter. How much would you be willing to spend per month for a DC Tri club masters program?

again punch pass would be my preference. I think $5 a time, so $50 or $60 a punch pass?

5. The club is considering partnering with DC Parks & Recreation as well as WaveOne Swimming to bring a comprehensive program to our members. In general, what are your expectations with such a program (i.e. lane space, workouts, coaching, etc)

Coaching is what I would expect. In the past it's been volunteers from the club, but it's not something I thought was worth driving to and paying for. No offense, I am sure the work outs were good, but they should be geared towards different groups of swimmers - beginner, intermediate, advanced etc.

Turkey Thicket, Maybe Wilson or Marie Reed, but I agree with Travis that Eastern Market would be best for me.

nemelton    JOINED: 4/16/11    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 8/25/11 6:23 PM

Thanks for organizing this - and sorting thru all our opinions!

1. 2 - 4x/week (1 being a weekend)

2. Early mornings please!! Otherwise late evening like 7:30pm

3. Yes, fine to pay in advance

4. $50/month or $125 per quarter. Depends how much personalized coach time we get.

5. Coaching on stroke technique and speed would be great! Don't mind sharing lanes w/other masters ppl, as long as we have space set aside from everyone else. Love WaveOne, so would be great for them do some OWSs w/this program.

6. Wilson! Make use of their fabulous 50m lanes.

tnewnam    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 8/26/11 1:54 PM

3-5 days in the mornings at wilson. willing to pay 50-100 per month depending on frequency and level of coaching provided. i would be looking for advanced level swimming workouts and tweaking of stroke technique. punch pass would be preferred

Todd

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 500
POSTED: 8/27/11 1:09 PM

Making some significant progress on this gang. Assuming all goes well with venue coordination, coaching arrangements, etc I'd like to think that we could launch this program by Oct. I have a few more follow up questions:

1. How do people feel about a Saturday or Sunday early morning OR a Sunday evening session at either Washington-Lee or Wakefield in NoVa? Would my DC/MD folks who join this program be willing to travel out to NoVa one day during the weekend assuming the other 2 sessions during the week would be somewhere in DC?

2. For my fellow club members who have a swimming background (i.e. are good at it unlike most of us), would there be interest if we were to recruit 2-4 of you as program coordinators? We would look to have one coordinator present and in charge at each session. In return you would be compensated for your time. You would not be required to put together a training plan or session drills (that's what we would pay our coach to do) but instead you would be responsible to ensure the plan and drills are being executed so the coach can focus on (well) coaching and individual attention. You would handle/coordinate Q&A between practices, manage program communications, act as the liaison for the program to the Board & coach and ensure venue coordination (i.e. ensure it's not closed day of, manage participant check-in, etc). Estimated commitment would be 2 to 4 hours a week depending on how many sessions you choose to lead.

Ryan, Abby & Hugh

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1739
POSTED: 8/27/11 7:07 PM

Ryan:

Clubbers in Nova would likely like the Sunday Nova session idea.

Is a swimming background really needed for the coordinator role? The duties sound administrative.

Thanks for conducting these polls.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria