This sounds great. I would rather keep it all in NW DC, but weekends are not my swim days anyway so do what is best for the club. Hope this works out. I wish I could be a coordinator, but I just don't think I have the time and I travel a lot which makes it unfair to the club. Maybe I can cover for a coordinator once in a while.
I would travel to NoVA for a sunday evening swim workout.
I would do NOVA evening workouts as well. Also, I'd like to learn to swim faster as well so coaching would be preferred, not just workouts.
1. I'd consider any masters program that is located in DC, metro accessible, and had 3 weekday sessions available.
I would have to choose another program if revolving locations / NoVa locations end up being part of DCT masters swim.
2. If you don't get enough experienced swimmers to step up, I might be able to serve as a program coordinator but would depend on how it all comes together.
1. How many days a week would you want the club to offer a formal masters swimming program? 3-4, with one being a weekend day
2. Would you prefer morning or evening sessions? If you don't have a preference please indicate so. mornings- early on weekdays
3. In the past we've charged $5 per session to cover pool costs at CAU. The new program would charge monthly, or quarterly, to cover program expenses. Would you be willing to pay in advance like this? yes
4. Average costs for local masters programs range from $75 per month to $125 per quarter. How much would you be willing to spend per month for a DC Tri club masters program? up to $75 per month, assuming you would be getting good attention from a qualified coach on deck each time.
5. The club is considering partnering with DC Parks & Recreation as well as WaveOne Swimming to bring a comprehensive program to our members. In general, what are your expectations with such a program (i.e. lane space, workouts, coaching, etc ) lanes reserved to masters participants only; no more than 5 per lane; varied workouts that cover stroke technique, drills, speed, endurance, etc; certified coach
6. There are 3 indoor pool locations the club is considering for the program including Takoma Park, Wilson Aquatics, Marie Reed and Turkey Thicket. Do you have a preference for any one of the four listed? Wilson would be ideal so long as they keep the 50m configuration; Takoma as second choice.
For everyone that provided feedback, thank you! We are in the final stages of planning our very own club swim program. Big news is that we just secured lane space at Wilson Aquatic Center for Q4,11 and Q1,12 and we are now ironing out our partnership agreement with WaveOne who will be providing the coaching services and running the program on our behalf.
We have 3 days per week (M,W,F) reserved at Wilson from 6:30 to 8pm.
We'll be piloting the program in Q4 at Wilson only and our vision is that if the program is met with the demand we suspect then we'll look to expand this to include other geographic areas such as MoCo and NoVa once we get the operations of it all ironed out.
We are targeting launch of the program for Oct 3rd so keep on the lookout for a special announcement here in the next week. Space for this program will be limited to 40 people as we want to keep the coaching as intimate and effective as possible. And all participants must be active, current members of the club.
The price point and payment schedule are still being worked out but there will most likely be an option to purchase up to a quarter in advance or if you prefer flexibility we are also looking into the possibility of offering a monthly payment option. To put this into perspective for those of you who have participated in the Catholic Swims in the past, the cost for that was $5 per session which if you came to all sessions would run you around $40 per month. Our swim program will include prescribed workouts, coaching and periodic video/stroke analysis for only a fraction more than this monthly sum.
Please keep the input coming as we want to be sure to build a program that meets the collective needs of the club.
Awesome. Sounds like you guys did a great job pulling this together pretty quickly!
Does the program include admissions to the swimming facilities? For example, are those who are NOT DC residents required to pay the $7 (or whatever they charge now days at Wilson) per session on top of what the DCTri program charges?
The references to MoCo ... is that a misprint? :)
Tuan - The program cost will be all inclusive so "no" you won't need to pay any facilities fees if you are signed up for the program and on the roster. There is one exception to this where Wilson will charge vertical swimmers a $100 surcharge...something about liability and insurance issues. :-)
And no that's not a mis-print, MoCo is in the plans.
Another surcharge Ryan forgot to mention will be the $200 fee for the privilege of swimming in a 50-meter as opposed to a 25-meter lane. :) :)
Hello everyone -
The program is now live for registration. As a thank you for all of the great input you provided to help shape this program, this announcement is being made first (only) on this thread. We'll make an announcement on the homepage and over social media beginning tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully this gives everyone here a chance to make a decision about joining the program. Space is limited to 30.
For all of the information on the program, including pricing and the Fall schedule,CLICK HERE>>
Hope to see many of you out there!
Psyched to see DCT providing such value-added services to its members!!
Wilson: perfect. M/W/F: perfect. WaveOne: perfect.
Now let's just hope they keep the lanes 50m!!
Great job Ryan!
The official announcement to the club went out on Saturday:
Thanks much, Ryan.
An hour's kind of short for a practice, but the pool is open until 9 pm on the three scheduled nights, and one could presumably swim in the public lanes for up to another hour after the official sessions.
Hey Ed -
You're right. We originally permitted the lanes for 1.5 hrs but in an effort to keep the costs down for our first few months we drop 30 minutes off the permit time. This allows us to keep the total cost of the program down while keeping it small and more personal (other masters teams have 100+ members). Lane space at Wilson is not cheap!
That said, we'll have dedicated lane space just for us from 7 to 8 and that will be the "official" practice time however I'm sure we'll stay past 8pm plenty of times.
If all goes well during our program pilot this quarter then we'll look to expand pool options, lanes and times. I've already got a permit on the same lanes and days at Wilson for 1.5 hrs come January.
We'll be collecting feedback as we go so please don't hesitate to let us know how we're doing and of course any ideas for making improvements.
Hey Guys -
Sorry for asking you folks to fill out yet another survey about the same questions - but if you could take the time to fill out a survey about where you want the masters swim program to out - we would be much obliged.
But we are starting to plan out the where, when, and what for future Masters programs - and we really want to know what you think.
One of the co-leaders of the Masters Swim Prorgam