Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Duathlon Nationals: Hot as Crap
CREATED: 04/26/09 by ptlori REPLIES: 23
ptlori    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 36
Duathlon Nationals: Hot as Crap
POSTED: 4/26/09 10:14 PM

The race was very well run, but the fact remains that it was beastly hot.
Let's discuss the race...

ecurunr04's ravatar ecurunr04    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
RE: Duathlon Nationals: Hot as Crap
POSTED: 4/26/09 10:46 PM

I thought the race was decent but for a National Championship it would have been nice if the course was properly measured. The runs were short. Probably the reason why there were no mile markers out on the course.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
POSTED: 4/27/09 12:11 AM

I did see a couple of mile markers at mile 4, 6 and 3 (the second run leg), but after today's weather you won't catch me complaining about the run being too short.

As I was finishing the bike leg, all I kept saying to myself was that there is a reason I do triathlons.....the swim. I almost felt like going down to the James River and jumping in. It can't be as bad as the Schuykill in Philly.

charlie's ravatar charlie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 61
POSTED: 4/27/09 1:02 AM

i am with hugh on that one. i was missing the swim so badly today. the event seemed well run, but in my opinion was a very rough race due to the heat.. i successfully achieved my first 'bonk' ever.

it seemed like lots of people had issues today and i'd like to say thanks to travis and rachael (whom i met on the run) for taking time out to see if i was ok.

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 4/27/09 8:36 AM

Results are up. I didn't come in last! I realized yesterday that duathlons are not my thing. I have done some triathlons that turned to duathlons and did ok. But these duathletes are great at both running and biking. I was passed by EVERYONE. I got to work on my mental game yesterday, so hopefully that will help me in July.

drsully's ravatar drsully    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 4/27/09 8:37 AM

Good race but going off at 11:30 sucked. It was the first race where I felt sick from the heat. As far as the course goes, I heard some people on the bike course only did 2 loops instead of three but I thought it was a fair course despite it being 97 out.

drsully's ravatar drsully    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 4/27/09 8:46 AM

Julia,

Did you get a roll down spot to worlds?

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 611
POSTED: 4/27/09 8:51 AM

Congrats on toughing out a hot day guys. We swimmers now feel loved. Looking forward to hearing who made Worlds. Thanks.

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 212
POSTED: 4/27/09 9:38 AM

It was hot but fortunately us 30-34 year olds got a nice break for almost 10 minutes when a train stopped our first run. Nothing like roasting in the sun.

little5grl's ravatar little5grl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 4/27/09 10:09 AM

Then there were those of us in the Sport race who didn't get to START until 3:00. I've never been so hot in my entire life.

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 4/27/09 11:00 AM

It was hot day really hot
pro's of the race : well organize, big transition everything on time good food and beer

Cons: run distance were short specialy the last 5k it was like 400 meter short, The train on my wave that was funny thing It was extremly hot

I had a great time with all the club members speciall at the dinner Sat night. Thanks to Angela for organizing. I miss the swim and I knew it was going to be really competitive field. Overall it was a hot experinece but I had fun

Great club support
Thanks
Eric

ptlori    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 36
POSTED: 4/27/09 1:00 PM

My favorite part of that little train incident was that the last two waves to go got rerouted for the portion of the course where the train was and that little portion was punctuated by a tour through the backside of a garbage dump that was right next to the sewage plant. It smelled like actual poop; I about gagged.
Beyond the smell of fecal matter and the intense heat, the race was well run and the transition area/post race food was really good. I'm sure if you like duathlons or actually plan on doing one again before you die (I do not.), then I am sure this was your paradise.
It was great seeing so many from DC Tri out there. I think that USAT and the Richmond Tri Club were appreciative of our support. Next year, I will gladly volunteer (to work)...

ajulia's ravatar ajulia    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 4/27/09 1:09 PM

Glad everyone survived! I agree that the run could have used some better mile markers and was not a fan of the hairpin turns on the bike, but overall I really like this race. I thought the whole operation was well-organized, the bike was mostly scenic and everyone seemed really happy to be there. I never want to start another race at 11:30, though. Even without the totally demoralizing heat, that was a very lonely last lap. The DC Tri tent saved the day, thanks for bringing it out!

The results people said they are going to give the qualifiers two weeks to decide if they want their spots before rolling any down. I'd be surprised, though, since it's in NC this year and easier to get to than, say, Italy :o)

Who qualified?

gwcrew2000's ravatar gwcrew2000    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
POSTED: 4/27/09 2:50 PM

In that heat the runs were longer than I would have cared. They could have used mile markers on the runs, and a water station on the bike course. I drank at every water station on the runs, two bottles on the bike and was still very dehydrated. Wish I could have stuck around longer for the post race food and beer.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
POSTED: 4/27/09 3:18 PM

Julia, just be glad that they moved the start of the Boston Marathon from noon to 10am and 10:30am. Back in 2004, it was 83 degrees during the race and this was in New England. Thanks to those who helped set up the tent. Just wish I brought down the water cooler.

Great job by everyone out there yesterday who showed up on race day.

anthonyacook's ravatar anthonyacook    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 4/27/09 3:54 PM

Wow, what a race. Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne stayed in my mind for the first 10k. Nevertheless, I missed the swim as well (mainly because I could not feel my legs for the last 5k).

Question - Is this duathlon (national championships) in Richmond every year? I would definitely consider doing this race again next year.

little5grl's ravatar little5grl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 4/27/09 3:57 PM

It will be in Richmond again next year; not sure about after that.

macoffman's ravatar macoffman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 4/27/09 4:14 PM

While a cool swim would have been nice after the event, I have to say that the lack of a swim was my saving grace and the only reason I qualified for Worlds. When I finished I figured I was about 40th place in the 35-39 age group and was flabbergasted when I found out that I was 12th. I think the heat really took a toll on a lot of the athletes. Congrats to everyone that finished!

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 4/27/09 5:41 PM

I thought that the race went pretty well considering it being well hot as crap. I hope it's not one of these races where you say...another race that Lisa went to and someone dies (Army 10 miler; NYC tri; NJ tri; etc.). It was sure looking that way by all the ambulances.

My highlights and low lights:

I started at 10:55 am and there were a lot of studly looking competitors. At Mile 1, I looked at my watch and it said 4:18. I announced to the group of runners around me that I PR'd. I shouted, I'm a Kenyan! But, I was politely informed by everyone laughing around me that it was Mile 1 for the 5k, not the 10k. I was already beat in the first section of the out and back run and my HR monitor was holding at 168 bpm. So, I decided to take walk breaks every 10 minutes.

My plan for strength and stamina worked because I easily caught up with the entire 30-34 age group. Actually, there was this train blocking the course. Most of the 30-34 M/F age groupers were stopped by an official. Some rascal scurried under the train, but I heard he bonked later. haha. You are a cheater.

I got about a minute's rest in the lovely industrial area. After some quick chit chat with other racers and DC Tri'ers, I took off with my AG. Then, it started to smell of acetone in the industrial park. At 95 degrees, that is not pretty. At this point, I started to overtake some guys that started 5 minutes earlier (granted some of them had heat exhaustion but a pass is a pass).

In T1, I pretty much gave myself a full Irish shower - except using ICE instead of perfume. Ice in the shorts, ice in the bra, ice in the helmet*. Up and out of T1, you immediately dropped to a screamer. It was probably only a 200 foot descent, but it was steep and there was a crack in middle of the road. The pitch made me think of my steeple chasing days. Gravity will keep you in the saddle. You can't get blood on this uniform. Gravity will keep you in the saddle. You can't get blood on this uniform.

After Chicken's Hill, the bike was a lot of fun. I crossed 2 bridges over the James River 4x for 3 loops. So that's 12x? Talk about a Bridge to Nowhere. The race directors did a nice job covering some of the gaps and grates on the bridges with carpets. But, I thought there was supposed to be a water bottle drop. I enjoyed the residential section, Riverside, the best -- rolling hills and shade. What can beat that? Maybe tubing in the James River with a cold beer like everybody else on a Sunday. Do a bunch underpasses, overpasses, sharp turns, ramp climbs, that freaking Chicken's Hill. Now, repeat 2 more times.

T2 - I don't remember much. I was dizzy from turning on the bike so much. I did my ice pants dance again.

5k - This run was so sluggish. I tried to stay up with 2-3 guys, but at this point it was no use. I'd already drank my little bottle of water in the first 10 minutes. At the aid station, the volunteers were spraying folks with a hose. V nice touch. Then, I had a to pee in a place with no trees. Thank you Dominion Power Lines for leaving your fence open. Anyway, I shuffled on and managed to run across the finish line, which was uphill and on trail. My split was 24:57 minutes for the "5k." I knew that couldn't be right because I felt like death and Adam's GPSmeter read 2.6 miles, which is 1/2 mile short. Oh well, I'll take a short 5k any day.

It was a pretty miserable day. I'm glad that I paced myself. I've had heat exhaustion before. It is brutal. Glad that everyone finished and/or didn't get injured! It was great to see DC TRI represent. Did we win anything in the Club Challenge? Nice seeing everyone at the dinner and during/after the race. What's next - Badwater?

*the ice pants dance is TM'd by L. Brown :)

catgold's ravatar catgold    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 87
POSTED: 4/29/09 10:00 AM

Short article on the race, with a quote from our own Pres.: http://usatriathlon.org/news/article/12239

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria