Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Fuji Newest 1.0 vs. Cannondale 10 5 105
CREATED: 07/01/11 by gdinfinger REPLIES: 4
gdinfinger    JOINED: 6/10/11    POSTS: 3
Fuji Newest 1.0 vs. Cannondale 10 5 105
POSTED: 7/01/11 10:21 AM

Hello!

I'm looking at buying a road bike and was hoping to get some friendly advice:

The 2 bikes I've most seriously look at are the Fuji Newest 1.0 and the Cannondale 10 5 105. The components of both bikes are very similar.

My question, is the Cannondale worth twice as much as the Fuji (Cannondale $1500, Fuji (on sale for $650)? Shimano Tiagra components are common between the two.

Thanks, DC Tri!

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
RE: Fuji Newest 1.0 vs. Cannondale 10 5 105
POSTED: 7/01/11 10:41 AM

The Caad is considered by many to best the best aluminum road frame you can get, at any price.

The Fuji 1.0 has Sora/Tiagra, which is 9 speed. The Cannondale has 105, which is 10 speed. 10 speed is the standard for mid and higher end Shimano and SRAM components, so having it makes it easier to replace things in the future.

In short, I'd say the Cannondale is absolutely worth the difference in price. If you really get bit by the cycling bug, the Caad 10 is the type of bike you could own for the next 10 years without needing to upgrade. I don't think you could say the same thing about the Fuji. Plus the Caad's reputation should help out the resale price if you decide to get rid of it at any point.

Now, what it really comes down to is your budget, because the prices are pretty different. But I would say the Caad is "worth" the difference in price and is the better decision if you think you are in the sport for the long haul and can justify the higher up front price.

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 7/01/11 11:53 AM

I'd say the relevant questions here are:
1 - Is this a sport you will still be doing in 4-5 years?
2 - How bad is your bike-lust?

If you aren't sure about the sport, and in general aren't the type of person who is always looking to upgrade, it might make sense to get the Fuji.

But, if you are pretty sure you'll still be doing this in a few years, you might find yourself wanting an upgrade. It's almost always cheaper to buy one bike than two...

If you get really competitive and decide to upgrade to a TT bike at some point, that CAAD will be a great roadie for years and years. I think it's safe to say the Fuji is something you could easily outgrow, even if it's just a backup bike to a TT.

ANguyen07's ravatar ANguyen07    JOINED: 1/16/11    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 7/01/11 2:03 PM

I bought the Cannondale 105 a couple months back and I love it.

Although, it has Shimano 105 components not Shimano Tiagra components, so that's why there's the big price difference. I used to have a road bike with Sora components, which are similar to the Tiagra, and it was nice for short rides around the city, but for training for long distances, it wasn't pleasant. The ride just wasn't very smooth to me compared to the CAAD 10.

So it would really depend on what type of races you plan to do. If you plan to do just Sprint Distances, the Fuji should be fine, but if you want to do longer races, I would recommend the Cannondale.

Hope this helps!

gdinfinger    JOINED: 6/10/11    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 7/05/11 11:57 AM

Thank you for all of the input.

I ended up deciding to go with component setup as the deciding factor on my bike.

Caad was a bit too pricey, so I decided on the Trek 2.1. It has Shimano 105 components, and the fit was very comfortable for me.

Thanks again for the help!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria