Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Rumpass in Bumpass open thread
CREATED: 04/14/12 by mosered REPLIES: 21
mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1773
Rumpass in Bumpass open thread
POSTED: 4/14/12 6:43 AM

For roll call, results, race comments. Good luck, DCTriers at Lake Anna!

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
RE: Rumpass in Bumpass open thread
POSTED: 4/14/12 1:17 PM

Beautiful day. New run course was tough on the legs and feet.

Ben W won.

pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 129
POSTED: 4/14/12 1:56 PM

Nice, congrats to Ben! I'll be out there tomorrow.

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 175
POSTED: 4/14/12 10:13 PM

Just so you know, there's nothin' flat about that run course. Only one major hill on the run course...not so much. That said, this was my first VTS race and I thought the race was very well run and huge DC Tri contingent was fantastic. Good luck tomorrow! Joyce

JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 4/15/12 6:51 PM

The weather was great but the overall race kinda sucked. First you had to walk down a gravel road from the transition area to the water, fortunately I had flip flops but many people had to walk it bare feet. The water was freezing (which is a given this time of year). There was car traffic on the bike course, at one point had to almost come to a stop cause of a car in the road and then the run was horrid. All off-road with 90% of it on gravel with the first stretch starting out on this tiny path where you hardly had any room to even pass anyone. I know there was mitigating circumstances and that they had to move the race at the last minute but still I was not overly impressed with the Rumpus in the Bumpus.

bwinterroth's ravatar bwinterroth    JOINED: 5/12/11    POSTS: 66
POSTED: 4/16/12 7:06 AM

Thanks for the kind words!

I would have to agree though that the race was pretty poorly run overall. The swim and bike courses were ideal, but the transition area and run course were an absolute nightmare. I have a feeling that the race won't sell out next year unless they change up the run.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 4/16/12 7:57 AM

Agreed. The water was perfect. I'm an idiot and forgot my wetsuit and felt comfortable. Run was bad. Not just the conditions, but the course criss-crossed over itself. That is an easy fix if they run it there again (just run on the left the entire time!), I'm just surprised it didn't get fixed the before this race.

Giant Acorn was also held at the marina, so may be held at the new location as well. I may still do it just to get some revenge on the course, but it will be a game time decision.

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 96
POSTED: 4/16/12 9:46 AM

Thought the swim and bike were great (Although, I too had to walk barefoot down the gravel path, not thrilled). A suburban pulled in front of me right at the end of the bike course, dropping my avg from 23 to 22.2 mph. I didn't fare too well on the gravel/off road/cross country run course. From what I heard in transition the shift in venue due to the marina owner (still unclear as to why) was farely recent and I'm glad they were able to at least hold a race, instead of outright canceling it.

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 365
POSTED: 4/16/12 11:39 AM

Someone told me that the Marina went bankrupt and the race directors were trying to work with the bank to rent the location for the weekend.

The swim course itself was nice. But the walk down to the location was murder. I was lucky that a friend's dad was there to take our sandals back up. They should have made that announcement about bring sandals back up a lot earlier. I was also surprised to have so many cars on the bike course. But that run course was just plain awful. I thought at least a part of it was going to be on paved ground - but there is no way my weak ankles and I will be coming back for another trail run like that in the fall.

But I did appreciated the DCT people cheering me on during the run course. :)

POSTED: 4/16/12 6:25 PM

I did the Sprint on Sunday. The walk down to the swim was brutal without shoes. Thankfully, I wore the fancy green socks provided by Set-up and tossed them at the lake (not into the lake). My swim was awful. In transition I pulled my bike out and the back tire was dragging. The tire had blown and was stuck on the brake caliper. It was even off the rim, not just flat. My repair kit was in the car. Game over.

I talked to the race director and he let me run the run leg. I waited for the top guys to pass by and I fell in. Got passed by 5 guys at the end, yay. Tough course and rough on the feet.

Onto the Trirock Annapolis for redemption!

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 4/17/12 6:10 AM

I have to agree about the run course. Perfect weather for a race, but that run was obnoxious. On a positive note however, the new location was all done on private property. The owners live in the house we passed twice on the run course. Cheers to them for letting us use their beautiful property for the race!

ebougie's ravatar ebougie    JOINED: 9/1/11    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 4/17/12 8:46 AM

The run course was…interesting. Because I am as graceful as a newborn giraffe, I almost fell flat on my face while making a 180 around one of the cones. Congrats to all the DCT racers; many brought home age group awards. Great start to the season!

conartist's ravatar conartist    JOINED: 1/31/12    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 4/17/12 2:14 PM

Definitely agree with everyone above...overall great experience. Incredible weather and the water was magnificent. Can't imagine running that thing twice though...props to the Int'l distance peeps to endure that.

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 334
POSTED: 4/17/12 2:56 PM

I have to say, I love Set Up races. I can't even imagine having something happen to your race site a few short days before the event. We can all agree the run wasn’t ideal, however I will take that over a refund and no race.

Thanks to the family that let us park our cars and set up a transition area in their front yard.

And thanks to Set up for being open and honest about the unfortunate situation of the race site situation and still putting on a race!

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
POSTED: 4/18/12 7:08 AM

Shameless plug, but here's my race report if anyone wants a great read.

If anyone has any pics of the rocky section of the run course, I'd love to include them in my RR to show just how off-road it was.

Hope everyone had a great race!

Trevor

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 96
POSTED: 4/18/12 8:33 AM

I've got a good one of the gravel trail to the swim that destroyed my feet. Nothing on the "drive way."
Wes

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
POSTED: 4/18/12 8:38 AM

apparently I fail at links:

http://seebonetri.blogspot.com/2012/04/rumpus-in-bumpass-international-tri.html

Wes, if you feel like sharing, trevor.albert at gmail

laineym3's ravatar laineym3    JOINED: 7/2/10    POSTS: 122
POSTED: 4/18/12 11:00 AM

I was taking pictures all day. Got people coming out of T1, getting pics on the bike were tough so I scrapped that, and set up fort to get pics of the run.

If you were wearing a DC Tri jersey, I snapped a photo! They are all up on the DC Tri club FB page. Feel free to tag yourself!

Elaine

POSTED: 4/18/12 12:26 PM

Elaine,

I don't see any new pics on the FB page. Did you hit publish? :D

sose    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 4/19/12 10:37 AM

Pmart, I saw you and asked if you were done since you were just hanging out at T1. Sorry to hear it was such a bad flat.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria