DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Regular Bike Rides/Groups for Serious Bikers
CREATED: 12/14/10 by bad ford REPLIES: 7
bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
Regular Bike Rides/Groups for Serious Bikers
POSTED: 12/14/10 4:16 PM

All-

Is there a good place to find a listing of local bike groups/rides. I have a friend moving in from Hawaii and will be new to the area. He's not the tri type of rider -- looking more for the purist type of biking group. My understanding is that he is a strong rider with good skills.

Brad.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1050
RE: Regular Bike Rides/Groups for Serious Bikers
POSTED: 12/14/10 4:56 PM

The Bike Rack and DC Velo both have pretty serious bike teams/group rides.

I checked WABA for group ride listings but it wasn't quickly apparent if they have links posted. Your friend could try posting on their forum as well.

Travis

marianna    JOINED: 12/14/10    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 12/14/10 5:12 PM

so, to be totally sure, term papers are the right one to tear us apart a little bit as well

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 12/14/10 7:12 PM

NCVC has the best online list I've seen:

Their website is slow/down right now, but it's NCVC.net. They have a big list of their rides plus others, and all have maps/descriptions.

JL71    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 12/14/10 8:05 PM

You might try Potomac Pedalers www.bikepptc.org

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 226
POSTED: 12/15/10 9:01 AM

I think PPTC is more of a casual ride pace, if you're looking for something higher intensity, NCVC rides are a great option (I'm biased since thats my team). While the NCVC rides and other team rides are open, they're more receptive if you're a member of the team, just an FYI. There's also rides from LBS on various days, but have to check and see which shops and which days as schedules change.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 12/15/10 10:28 AM

Squadra Coppi is another option for serious cyclists. They have a ride that leaves from the Java Shack in Arlington on Sundays at 8:30 that is open to anyone. It is a 50-mile loop that goes out to Potomac and Great Falls and back. There are a couple of options for less experienced riders to shorten the loop and skip the hardest sections.

Other ride options: Hains Point every week day at 12:05 meeting at the entrance to the golf club, the DC Velo 7 am ride on saturday mornings, the Italian store Arlington hill ride on tuesdays (B pace at noon, A pace at 12:10), the 10 am ride leaving out of Rock Creek park on Saturday. Send your friend to any of these rides and he should be able to ask about more options. There are many more to choose from!

--Abby

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 12/16/10 9:28 AM

Cool. Thanks everyone. I have relayed the info.

Now I need to find a biking group for me. Preferably one with lots of stops and that is mostly downhill.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria