DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Happy Hour Race Report
CREATED: 02/19/10 by nomisdc REPLIES: 8
nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 611
Happy Hour Race Report
POSTED: 2/19/10 10:39 AM

Hello everyone,
Just a quick word of thanks for coming out to the happy hour last night. Building the club as a network of connections is important to our organizational success. As we go for our first National Championship this year, we will succeed because of our strong friendships.
Last night we had a very large amount of folks show up - more than expected for sure, so thanks. Point of interest is the type of folks who came. Our NTP'ers came out in force, proving that they are already active role players in our future, and fearless partiers. We also had a number of veterans who have been away from the club for a while come back and reconnect. That is so relevant for us, and frankly, touching that the club means that much to them. Finally we had some folks who are brand new to the club or considering joining. This is the ultimate overcoming of nervousness to try to connect with a new group, and we hope they / you had a great time. Add these groups to our standard "fare" of people - the core group who supports our events and HH's - you know who you are (reach up and pat yourself on the back), and we have a solid contingent developing for the campaigns to come.
We even had some requests for a Friday HH so we can party later into the night - nice. We'll consider that for a future HH.
So thanks, continue getting fat for now, drink up, because we all know that this will be a lot harder but more meaningful as we get into the season's battles.
-Simon
Social / Events

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1265
RE: Happy Hour Race Report
POSTED: 2/19/10 1:26 PM

Just something to consider ... Friday nights might not be the best nights once the warm weather comes around. Most people do their long workouts Saturday mornings so they are more likely to go home earlier on a Friday night than on a school night. Having stuff on a Friday night probably will mean that you've just dropped a bunch of HIM or Ironman-in-training folks from the HH.

Interfer with slept deprivations and having a hangover during work billable hours ... no problems. Interfer with a long workout ... Houston, we have a problem! Strange creatures are these triathletes.

Tuan

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 2/19/10 2:01 PM

I've been to a few happy hours recently but I had to miss last night's. Sounds like I missed out on a big gathering. I'm hoping to be there next time.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1050
POSTED: 2/19/10 2:18 PM

I couldn't make it either but to show that I'm a team player, I enjoyed a couple of beers at home.

See you all next month, hopefully.

starcaro's ravatar starcaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 60
POSTED: 2/19/10 2:22 PM

tuan, that's exactly what would be part of the beauty of a fri night hh... getting a hung over group workout in on saturday am. i know i've shown up to work outs hung over before, and how much better would it be to share in that misery with the people that helped cause it to begin with!

anyway, i think mixing it up, just once in a while on a friday would be fun... not changing the night for all happy hours, but every so often could be fun.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/19/10 2:41 PM

you haven't been doing the sport long enough to know that many many experienced triathletes commonly do friday happy hours then the long bike/runs on the weekend.

the question is can you do them with a hangover or not? if you can that is a right of passage.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 2/19/10 3:05 PM

And if you can rock out on the Sat. workouts even with a hangover, how much better could you be on race day without a hangover? On the other hand, the sensation might be so strange that you end up heading to the bar instead of the start line.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/19/10 3:46 PM

lol.. exactly.

although i have to say that the days of being able to do killer sat workouts of 100 mile bike rides with a hangover on only 3 hours of sleep mysteriously stopped after the age of 30 for me. i have heard from more experienced triathletes that this is a result of a mysterious illness called "aging" however, i think these guys are making this up... afterall its coming from people that think "riding 100 miles then running 8 miles afterwards, is fun".. wtf? (joking)

berlz13's ravatar berlz13    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 2/19/10 4:27 PM

As someone who can't make Thursday nights, I like the idea of moving the night so I can drink with my tri peeps sometimes!
:)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria