Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Sunday Morning for the National Tri
CREATED: 09/06/10 by Bgambo REPLIES: 8
Bgambo    JOINED: 4/15/10    POSTS: 4
Sunday Morning for the National Tri
POSTED: 9/06/10 12:22 PM

The National Tri is going to be my first tri and I'm looking for the best way to get to the transition area in the morning. I'm coming from Old Town Alexandria and have some family coming with me. What's the best way? Metro, Driving, Parking options?

Any advice would be so helpful. Thanks guys and best of luck to those racing next week.

hamburger1971's ravatar hamburger1971    JOINED: 8/13/09    POSTS: 46
RE: Sunday Morning for the National Tri
POSTED: 9/06/10 2:38 PM

To thread hijack this a little bit - does the group recommend using the shuttle from packet pickup to transition, or just driving over? And I assume that we'll be able to get into transition the morning of the race, so we just have to rack our bikes but not leave our stuff (helmets, shoes, etc.) there?

Thanks,

Jeff

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 9/06/10 3:22 PM

For race day, I'd recommend parking at the old convention center lot and taking the shuttle. That's what I did for the DC Tri earlier this year and it worked out well. Only racers can take the shuttle though, so your family would have to figure something else out. They could always drive and drop you off, then park on the street over in the Foggy Bottom area. There's no close Metro stations, but if they don't mind walking and you are in a later wave that would be easy.

Not sure whats easiest for packet pickup to the transition. You will be able to get into transition Sunday morning. Only leave your bike, and bring your other stuff the next morning.

carrieacampbell    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 128
POSTED: 9/06/10 7:16 PM

Hi guys,

I'm one of the volunteer coordinators for Nation's.

Bgambo - Have your family park at Arlington Cemetery & walk across the bridge. It is quite close & easy to get out once your race is finished. My family did that last year.

Jeff - You cannot take your bike on the shuttle from packet pickup to transition. You would have to ride your bike from the Hilton & take the shuttle back. And yes you can get into transition Sunday morning - bright & early at 5:30am!

Carrie

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1768
POSTED: 9/07/10 9:39 AM

I live in Huntington, Alexandria, and on race days like to park at the big lot at Gravelly Pt. next to Reagan National, then roll over the 14th St. bridge, gear tucked in a backpack, for the easy mile to two into downtown.

Bgambo    JOINED: 4/15/10    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 9/07/10 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the help. From what I gather parking is limited around the site and I do have some family that will be coming up to the transition area with me prior to the race. Seems like dropping me off and them finding parking on their own is the best bet.

I'm assuming the Arlington Cemetery Metro Stop is the closest one for spectators coming later in the morning?

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 160
POSTED: 9/07/10 4:00 PM

I would think Foggy Bottom might be closer, but may be 6/half dozen. Having your family drop you off and park the car is the best best if you have a family coming to watch. Makes for an easy get-away after the race.

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 9/07/10 4:43 PM

Is the arlington cemetary parking lot going to be open at 5 am on a Sunday? Their posted hours state otherwise...

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 9/07/10 7:42 PM

Keep in mind that Metro doesn't open until 7 am on weekends. And they run fewer trains on Sunday mornings. I would think that it would be difficult to get to the course before 8 am if your family and friends relied on Metro. You would also have to check the WMATA website for temporary closings and maintenance work, which could delay trains for 30-60 min. beyond the already slow morning schedule.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria