Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

PSA: Conte's Tuesday Nite Bike Ride
CREATED: 08/04/09 by mccannjl REPLIES: 11
mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
PSA: Conte's Tuesday Nite Bike Ride
POSTED: 8/04/09 10:55 PM

The ride was fantastic as was the after-party with free food and beer.

What was NOT so fantastic was the fact that about 15 cars got towed tonight from the lot behind Gold's gym, including mine. I saw no sign as I entered that lot from Wilson, and there was absolutely NO MARKING on the space I parked in. Say, for an instance, like a stenciled "RESERVED FOR GOLD'S GYM" on the ground.

I may be inattentive at times, but I'm not an idiot. I think the signage in this lot is wholly inadequate to warn people that parking there is soley for Gold's gym patrons (i never did actually see a sign, since my glasses were in the car, so I'm assuming that's in fact the case from what others told me).

$115

Consider yourself warned.

minime's ravatar minime    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 48
RE: PSA: Conte's Tuesday Nite Bike Ride
POSTED: 8/04/09 11:01 PM

I have also heard a similar sentiment from another club member. No real signage, car towed, cash forked over.

I'm sorry it happened Jeanne!

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 8/05/09 6:29 AM

Maybe the food's not really free...Perhaps Gold's chips in for food & beer for the chance to tow??

I'm so sorry that happened to you and the 14 other people - what a downer to a great Tues night workout. I hope that you got your car back!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1751
POSTED: 8/05/09 9:34 AM

Jeanne,

You're absolutely correct. (We'll have to start calling you Jeanne McCanny.)

I was towed last week. Absurd that there's no "Gold's Parking Only" painted into the spots, so one has to mind-read the parking availability.

I'm steamed, as are some of Conte's folks. I gave one of the Gold's people an earful last week, and I'm contacting the manager of Gold's. Anyone towed, or anyone concerned, contact me if you want to weigh in too, to get the contact info of that manager. It that doesn't work, I'm escalating it to the local congressman, council, etc.

It's either stupid or a scam, either way, very bad.

Ed

savvyveteran at gmail dot com

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/05/09 10:18 AM

Before alerting them of an angry group or the intention of going out to councilmen or anywhere else. Go and take pictures of the area and make sure there is no signs. If so, that means that they are towing without notification and you can actually place a petition to get anyone who has been towed, their money back. Just and idea. Also do it with someone in the picture with todays paper. Clarifies the date for your purpose.

POSTED: 8/05/09 10:23 AM

Excellent idea.

Can someone take a photo today or tomorrow? I could do it Friday morn otherwise.

POSTED: 8/05/09 10:57 AM

great suggestion. I can't get over there today (car now in shop, unrelated to towing incident, related instead to my continuing stream of unrelenting money-suckage.)

here's the contact info for gold's gym. Reading the internets, it looks like gold's gym ballston, and even gold's gym headquarters, are not exactly bastions of responsiveness and beacons of customer service.

If you call or write, do bear in mind some tips for complaining effectively (i've got the complaining part down!)
see: how to complain:
http://www.howtocomplain.com/info/advice.shtml

Amanda Bedwell, supervisor Gold's Gym Ballston
703 516 4653
703 516 0393, fax
generic email: ballston@goldsgym.com

It would also be really helpful if Conte's put up some big signs and posted this info prominently on its web site.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 8/05/09 11:12 AM

Cool, a PSA with a How to Complain link! Excellent - useful in many situations.
Just a note on perspective. I lived in Birchwood Apts, the brick building on the same street as Golds, for 4 years, and have been a member of that Golds gym for many years, before and after Contes was even built. Unfortunately towing on that street is a common occurance and has been for many years, frustrating residents and guests alike. When you discuss with Golds, keep in mind that for many years, it's been Gold's Gym members who have been towed from that street. The parking lots were established due to Gold's Gym member complaints about towing. The members have been towed lots of times, from the Contes spaces as well. That's a perspective to understand. Contes is suddenly popular on one Tuesday a month and the shoe is on the other foot - they are the ones who need the spots, not Golds. But don't expect too much sympathy from Golds management when their members have been towed, for say, 10 years or so. They have mucho longevity on the towing issue.

POSTED: 8/05/09 11:18 AM

Good point Simon. Totally understood. My complaint is with the missing warnings=signs. If there are clear signs and spots marked "reserved" and I STILL park there, then MY TOUGH LUCK.

But there aren't. That's not playing fair.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 8/05/09 11:21 AM

As a suggestion, a decent place to park usually is along 5th street -not too far away. We used to have guests park there.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=north+pollard+and+5th+street+n+arlington+va&sll=38.876451,-77.105806&sspn=0.003374,0.005976&ie=UTF8&ll=38.878005,-77.106879&spn=0.007166,0.011952&z=16&iwloc=A

POSTED: 8/11/09 9:38 AM

I'm photographing the empty parking spaces tonight, as documentary evidence.

POSTED: 8/11/09 9:46 AM

thanks! i sent an email to the manager and copied the ceo. no reply.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria