Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Philly Silly
CREATED: 03/08/09 by lisalisadc REPLIES: 12
lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
Philly Silly
POSTED: 3/08/09 8:19 PM

Who's in for the Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon? I'm planning to do the Olympic on Sunday, June 28.

Any thoughts on Philly or old race reports?

Thanks!

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 100
RE: Philly Silly
POSTED: 3/08/09 8:50 PM

Lisa,

I did this race in 2007 & it was great. Dave Scott gave a talk about the course at one of the pre-race meetings which was informative. Swimming in the Schullykill was not as scary as I had imagined - nice current and no frightening things floating beneath me. I wished that i had brought some throw-away flip flops since the swim started on one side of the river & ended on the other.

There are a few hills but they're short. The run is flat but is not sheltered, so if it's sunny out make sure to wear a hat because it was HOT!

There are some amazing restaurants & if you need recs on places to stay/eat/visit, let me know as it was my old stompin' grounds!

Mimi :)

leland's ravatar leland    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 3/08/09 11:51 PM

I did this race a few years ago and had a great time as well. Bike course was nice, the run was great, and the swim wasn't nearly as bad as everyone said!

Looks like the Olympic race is closed, but the sprint is open.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 3/09/09 10:59 PM

I'm in for the Olympic race. Who else is in? I love point-to-point races! Thanks for the info Mimi & Leland.

Philly is having a Club Championship, not the Club Championship, but $500 nonetheless. Here's the link: http://www.phillytri.com/clubparticipation.html

Don't forget to affiliate yourself with DC Tri if you're racing Philly!

jgeldner    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 33
POSTED: 3/10/09 10:35 AM

I've done the sprint the last two years - on the wait list for OLY this year

Its a great race - lots of spectators and great support. Nice course too

smakane's ravatar smakane    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 3/11/09 10:37 AM

I've done Philly the past three years... fun race with a pretty good atmosphere. Swimming with the river is nice... bike loop has four 'hills' that aren't long, but keep things interesting and the run is flat, but one half is in the open with no shade.

The wait list has opened the past two years... so hopefully folks waiting for the Olympic will get in.

barbara's ravatar barbara    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
POSTED: 4/30/09 10:11 AM

Mimi,

I'm doing the Olympic but got distracted while trying to reserve a room at the Crowne Plaza ($114 rate) and now they are booked, it appears, at least at that rate. Do you have any recommendations for other places to stay that are (1) inexpensive and (2) close to the course?

Thanks.

Barbara

POSTED: 5/01/09 12:42 PM

Ah, the Crowne Plaza is probably full because it's where Team in Training stays. The Doubletree on Broad Street is a quick bike ride from the start, newly rennovated, and has pretty good rates (I think).

Mimi :)

kmniland    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 6/22/09 4:37 PM

Hi,
I'm in NTP and doing the sprint on Saturday and am quite worried about the 4 "hills" mentioned in an earlier post. I admit most of my rides have been along pretty flat courses...any advice for a newbie? How bad are they? Thanks...I think my nerves are starting to get to me! :)
Kelly

POSTED: 6/22/09 7:51 PM

Hi Kelly,

Never to fear, the hills are shorties. The steeper of the 2 (I think there are 2 hills and you do the course twice if my memory serves me) is the shortest one and it is packed with spectators.

As far as newbie advice for someone who hasn't done many hill rides - just don't forget to shift into an easier gear early on and keep your cadence high. Before you know it the hill will be gone & you'll be running. You will do just fine - go out there and have fun - it's a great race!

Mimi

llewellyn    JOINED: 6/22/09    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 6/25/09 4:47 PM

Anybody driving up to Philly got extra room for me and my bike?

kmniland    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 6/25/09 4:49 PM

Sorry, I only have room for one bike. Good luck!!!

llewellyn    JOINED: 6/22/09    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 6/25/09 4:50 PM

Cool. Good luck to you, too!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria