Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Long Distant Running Before an IM
CREATED: 04/27/09 by tgrollman REPLIES: 1
tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 229
Long Distant Running Before an IM
POSTED: 4/27/09 3:00 PM

I am doing IM Cozumel, but me and a group of friends want to get together and do the Ragner Relay as an Ultra team. I would take the shortest legs, but I stil end up running over 30 miles. The Ragner is about a month before Cozumel. Do you think it would be a bad idea to do the Ragner, or is a month enough time to recover before IM?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Tania.

guinness    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
RE: Long Distant Running Before an IM
POSTED: 4/27/09 3:23 PM

It sounds like this is your first IM, and generally speaking, anytime one asks "should I do [x] before my really important A race that I have now spent a ridiculous amount of time, money, and energy training for, which is also in an incredibly nice place where I would love to take a very well deserved vacation AFTER I finish 140.6 miles of blood, sweat, and tears..." the answer should probably be "not so much."

You would certainly be in the shape to run Ragnar ultra, but
it's not what you are training for. You definitely risk injury, or being exhausted during your last 1 or 2 weeks of high volume training and missing out on getting the final benefits of IM training. If this is your first IM, it's probably a better idea to err on the side of caution and NOT run it as an ultra.

If you must run Ragnar this year (and I understand - it was a blast last year), what about running the regular 12 person race? Or crewing for the ultra? Or deciding that this year is for IM, and next year, you'll tear up Ragnar, and whatever else you want to do, with that incredible IM base fitness.

Anathea

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria