Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

NTP Workouts - Zones?
CREATED: 03/08/09 by skelly99 REPLIES: 7
skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
NTP Workouts - Zones?
POSTED: 3/08/09 11:08 PM

OK, maybe I'm missing this somewhere (or should know it somehow) but I'll play stupid... can someone tell me what the zones are on the workouts that were posted this weekend?

Look forward to meeting you all this week/weekend.

kemerson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
RE: NTP Workouts - Zones?
POSTED: 3/09/09 10:28 AM

It has something to do with your heart rate. Unfortunately thats about all I know. I got myself a heart rate monitor before training started but am very confused as to how to use it correctly.

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 212
POSTED: 3/09/09 11:00 AM

I am sure that you guys will have a clinic on what the definitions are but there are 5 zones. What your heart rate is in in each zone varies considerably acorss person and across the 3 sports as well. Zones 1-2 are the easiest the idea is your are not really pushing very hard and your body is primarily using fat as a fuel source (at higher intensitites fat cannot provide enough energy so carbohydrates become the primary fuel source). For a run think of it as an easy jog and depending on your level of fitness it may involve some fast paced walking as well. Hope that provides some insight. You should definitely not be pushing hars at zones 1-2.

dratnip    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 3/09/09 11:23 AM

Thanks. This is helpful. Could you give a sense of what a Zone 1-2 swimming workout would be like?

pconsentino's ravatar pconsentino    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 3/09/09 11:44 AM

We'll definitely cover this in future discussions, but here's a link to a basic breakdown of the idea of HRzones
http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/hrzones.php

HR zones are a general indicator of, among other things, the type of fuel your body is using. At the lowest intensities your body uses fat, then with more intensity glycogen (recently consumed calories) and at the highest levels, oxygen. The more you become fit the more you can work at faster speeds and stay at lower intensities and you become a better fat burning machine and that makes for great endurance. So the idea of doing a zone one or zone two workout is to keep it easy so your focus is on building things that will help grow your fitness, like mitochondria and capillaries.

alya72's ravatar alya72    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 3/09/09 11:48 AM

We will be having a clinic to explain heart rate zones and how to figure your own out soon. In the meantime, Joe's advice above is right on. You should not be working hard or getting out of breath for any workouts in the first couple of weeks. There are probably at least a few of you starting this program who are not natural-born swimmers (don't worry, clinics to come) and who feel like any time in the pool is gasp-inducing and heartrate-spiking. Don't worry, just spend some time in the water trying to get more comfortable, including breaststroke, floating on your back, etc. We don't expect you to be doing lap after lap of freestyle with flipturns, just making sure you have found a pool and are spending some time in it.

Amy

allisonacs    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 3/11/09 1:42 AM

One of the problems I have with the Zone 1-2 is that I feel like I am not working out at all in these zones. At the same time, I am embarrassed to admit that I really can hardly jog at a 5mph pace and stay in zone 1-2... either I have my max HR wrong, or I am in a lot worse shape than I like to admit!

- Allison

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 212
POSTED: 3/11/09 10:09 AM

Allison I am sure you will get this in the clinics but there is a huge amount of individual variability in HR training zones. I forget what the "standard formula" is with 220 - your age or something to that effect but it is not a very good method to determine your HR zones. The "gold standard" is to get the measure of lactate in your blood measured while exercise intensity is gradually increased...but the practical way to measure it is a 30 min time trial in each sport. Typically you try and determine your heart rate at your lactate threshold and then determine your zones from there. The URL (pdf document) has some details on how to use a time trial and some info on how a true beginner can estimate there zones with a 10 minute test. Hope that helps.

http://www.active.com/images/activeTrainer/Training_Intensity.pdf

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria