Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

SavageMan: Couldn't resist
CREATED: 01/01/10 by tatuskocs REPLIES: 11
tatuskocs's ravatar tatuskocs    JOINED: 9/2/09    POSTS: 23
SavageMan: Couldn't resist
POSTED: 1/01/10 11:31 AM

Signed up today. Have vacationed in the Deep Creek area and it's beautiful. Anyone here have experience with this race? I know about the hills, one of the main draws for myself.
Cheers
Collin

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
RE: SavageMan: Couldn't resist
POSTED: 1/05/10 9:46 AM

Did you sign up for the Half or the International? I noticed this year that they separated the races. International on Saturday and Half on Sunday.

But yes, there are quite a few people here who have experience with that race. I did the International last year. Not NEARLY as tough as the Half, but still has some good hills to make it worthy of the "savage" name. I would definitely suggest going for a training weekend out there before race day. The "wall" may be the most infamous part of the course, but it's only about 200 feet long. The MILES and MILES of climbing after that, that's the hard part. :)

I am just biding my time before I bite the bullet and sign up for the Half for this year. So I will be out there and I'm sure a lot of other DCTri people will be out there with you. We tend to have some good volunteer support out there too.

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 1/05/10 1:25 PM

In the words of Nelson from the Simpsons: "Ha ha!"

Seriously though, you'll enjoy the experience overall but hate the entire world during many moments throughout the race. The ridiculous difficulty of the course creates a fun, low-key event atmosphere. I've found it to be a good race to end a stressful, competitive season.

You don't necessarily have to make it out to Deep Creek before the race - I didn't and I was fine. In fact, had I known what I was in for...no, we won't go down that train of thought. I will say that it was a big confidence booster for me to experience such utter suffering but forge on and complete the race.

Make sure you have proper gearing on your bike. See the Savageman website for recommendations on this.

tatuskocs's ravatar tatuskocs    JOINED: 9/2/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 1/05/10 2:48 PM

Thanks for the info folks. I am doing the 1/2 IM. Taking a year off from any full IM work and just doing a few 1/2's. So I took the perspective of a hard race where I won't be so concerned about a PR, but getting through a tough race. Appreciate the gearing tip, I will have to check out the site.

Cheers
Collin

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 296
POSTED: 1/05/10 3:15 PM

I did the 1/2 two years ago -- I think if you live in the area, it's a must-do. In many ways, the course setup is the opposite of Eagleman - cool/cold weather, clear fresh water, ridiculously hilly bike, hilly run, small #s, no one gunning for Kona slots. Bring your 12/28 or compact/triple.

Also, if you're reading this, you probably know that Kyle and the Savageman folks are planning on a "Gran Fondo" the last weekend in June -- if anything, I'm looking forward to that even more than racing the 1/2 again. Nothing like 120+ miles in the mountains!

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1068
POSTED: 1/05/10 7:08 PM

I think this will be the year I finally bite the bullet and sign up for the half. I've trained out there before and ridden the half course -- It's as beautiful as it is difficult.

I also advise going out there for a training weekend or two. If nothing else, it's a great set up for a training weekend and you can almost always find folks willing to head out there.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 1/05/10 7:30 PM

Well you all know I am up for getting my brick. So I will be biting the same bullet later on next month. Like Travis and the rest of them said, it's also a great training weekend to go out there and ride.

angicarr's ravatar angicarr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 1/10/10 10:46 AM

I just registered for the 1/2 - will be my first and I'm super excited! The first thing I did is renew my lapsed membership in DC Tri Club because I'm going to need as many training buddies as possible. Looking forward to the challenge!

sarahalow's ravatar sarahalow    JOINED: 10/14/09    POSTS: 29
POSTED: 1/10/10 12:00 PM

This will be my first half, too! I'm looking forward to some hilly rides and runs with other Savage club members.

mdgoalie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 1/11/10 10:26 AM

I did the half last year and signed up again this year. As others have said, it's definitely a difficult race, but it's really one of a kind. There's also good camping areas at the race site, which I did last year and plan on doing again this year.

mmartintri    JOINED: 9/28/09    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 1/11/10 6:31 PM

I goota Brick (I think, never saw it) in 2008. The swim is usually foggy and many people go astray as the out and back are only 100 meters apart. It can be cool or it can be cold. Everyone talks about the bike hills, but guess what the running hills are close to cliff status. Good luck and remember, good luck favors the prepared.

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
POSTED: 1/12/10 3:05 PM

I raced the Half in 2009 and it's a doozy. But a beautiful, survivable doozy. Those of you who are on the fence should pull the trigger--finishing this race truly gives you bragging points and a great feeling.

Just do it. You won't regret it (after it's over).

Phil

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria