Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

Conte's Indoor Winter Cycling Classes (w/Ron)
CREATED: 11/28/11 by pgfde121 REPLIES: 80
sarahalow's ravatar sarahalow    JOINED: 10/14/09    POSTS: 29
RE: Conte's Indoor Winter Cycling Classes (w/Ron)
POSTED: 12/01/11 9:06 AM

Subscribing

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 233
POSTED: 12/01/11 12:01 PM

Needless to say the response has been larger than I anticipated, which is good, it means people are ready for some solid training to get ready for the season! On the downside, it also means trying to find a larger space for the group.

I've tried the Arlington Parks and Recs Dept looking for a space on Sat mornings, but they have basketball leagues and cannot provide us with anything. Next thought is looking at the parochial schools in the area that may have a gym available. Or, does anyone know if Marymount of another place would have space available? Open to any options...

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 12/03/11 2:58 PM

Great spin class today at Revolve cycle with Ron. It was tough and technique-based as well as fun. The new, magnetic-based cycles with 2 cleat choices are nice, plenty of towels, shoes you can borrow, and you don't have to clean the bike after. Between the Hot ChocoDisaster and this, glad to make this choice. Hope you can link in the Wed mornings at Revolve to the program, as well as find an abandoned airplane hangar on Saturdays to fit all of us.

rdolan's ravatar rdolan    JOINED: 8/8/11    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 12/04/11 7:57 AM

subscribing. great idea, thanks!

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 12/05/11 12:25 PM

GW Middle School in Alexandria has metro access (Braddock Road) - but not sure if ACPS would give access - you can try. Or try Alexandria Parks & Rec. (ie, Cora Kelly, Charles Barret, Mt. Vernon (in Del Ray)).

POSTED: 12/14/11 11:01 AM

Goofed

POSTED: 12/15/11 11:18 AM

Season’s Greetings,

The club will once again offer indoor cycling training sessions on Saturday mornings from 715-915AM at Freshbikes (formerly Conte’s) in Arlington. SIGNUP for this class will begin at 8:00PM on Thursday Dec 15th. Payment of $75 fee will be handled thru the DC Tri Clubs online store (under programs) and the link will be active at 8PM.

The class will last 9-10 weeks (weather dependent, if it’s nice in March we’ll be outside on a group ride w/no drop policy) and will start on Jan 7th and end March 3rd/10th. The Tri Club just purchased a sound system and wireless microphone (with $400 from this program purchasing the mic) so you will all be provided with some good tunes and the addictive cadence meter, as well as being able to hear me without my yelling. Not that this precludes me from freely engaging in some loud motivational speeches that some consider yelling.

The class will be conducted using heart rate training principles so that everyone can work at their individual pace. How do you work at your individual pace you ask? Well, you'll need your own heart rate monitor for that coupled with a lactate threshold field test that we'll perform the second week of class. The test has been fairly accurate when tested again lab testing, which runs around $150. You only need the very basic HR monitor, however, if you plan on using it to train, you may want to consider an advanced model so that you don't have to buy another one in the future. More info will follow for those who sign up.

The program concentrates on base building for the first few weeks and then progressively builds into race day efforts. The first week of training will be an introduction session to start things off, followed by some drills and interval work. The third through eight (or tenth) week will be building out our base and into some tempo work and hill repeats. Finally, the last week we'll redo the threshold test and see if the training program has worked.

Conte's has asked for a bit of cooperation on our end as well. They would like us to establish requirements for joining the sessions including:

1.) Everyone must have their own trainer (details for DC Tri Discount can be found here: http://dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=1492F8D9-9ED7-F360-9DE415AB28C7806A&page=1&).

2.) Everyone must have a skewer that is compatible with their trainer (and should be metal). There will be a safety inspection to ensure you have the correct skewer for the trainer you are riding.

3.) You must also have your own riser block (one comes with the group buy mentioned above for free) and cannot use helmet boxes or any other items lying around the store to stabilize their bike

4.) Everyone must have and use one of the following: (1) a trainer mat or (2) a yoga mat under their bikes during training. Towels are not permissible for this purpose.

5.) I offered that our group would assist in pre and post shop re-arrangement.

6.) This class is best utilized with a heart rate monitor. If you do not have a HRM, our merchant partners offer HRM's discounts.

7.) These sessions are intended to mimic real race day rides and training, and are not intended to be your social outlet for the week. Once we start the program, I ask that you limit the talking amongst the group.

8.) Charities: We will be able to donate approximately $1,500 to charities at the conclusion of the program.

9.) Doors will open at 6:50AM Sat Jan 7th. We'll start the program promptly at 7:15AM going thru 9:15AM. Please make the commitment to be there on time.

10.) Any questions, please email me and let me know.

Looking forward to setting the tone for 2012 and successful seasons for all of you!

ksdecker44    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 12/15/11 8:04 PM

anyone know where to sign up for the cycling sessions? I went to the store to sigh up, but can't find the link anywhere.

keepingitawesome's ravatar keepingitawesome    JOINED: 5/4/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 12/15/11 8:04 PM

I don't see the registration info in the shop. Am I missing it? Or still a little too early?

I LOVED this last year for the sessions I was able to get into, so want to make sure I don't miss out this year!

novasupra's ravatar novasupra    JOINED: 12/3/09    POSTS: 70
POSTED: 12/15/11 8:05 PM

same here, don't see anything in the store?

ctmartin's ravatar ctmartin    JOINED: 4/27/09    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 12/15/11 8:07 PM

Also waiting for the item to appear in the members section of the shop. :)

POSTED: 12/15/11 8:08 PM

In! J/K. Also don't see it in the shop. Feels like IMFL signup or something...exciting.

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 12/15/11 8:10 PM

The suspense is killing me. My credit card wants to be charged!

hina's ravatar hina    JOINED: 9/4/11    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 12/15/11 8:11 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's waiting for the link and doesn't see it, though I'm getting sleepy now....

rdolan's ravatar rdolan    JOINED: 8/8/11    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 12/15/11 8:15 PM

Up now!

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 12/15/11 8:16 PM

In! Simon, it is like trying to get into a race....Andy McD would be so proud to know what his legacy has wrought.

keepingitawesome's ravatar keepingitawesome    JOINED: 5/4/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 12/15/11 8:16 PM

I'm in! For real!

See you in January!

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 501
POSTED: 12/15/11 8:18 PM

We are up and running in the shop boys and girls! Sorry for the suspense, my swim practice went over!!

Ryan

POSTED: 12/15/11 8:22 PM

Thanks! Sleepy? hitting the company holiday punch early perhaps... Yeah Lynn it's a great legacy to the good ole days with Andy when Contes was brand new or we'd be in people's basements and stuff. See ya in Jan (if we actually make the wake-ups...)

hina's ravatar hina    JOINED: 9/4/11    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 12/15/11 8:28 PM

Alright, I'm in! Nah, sleepy from too much exercise, not holiday punch (I'm what you might call a *teetotaler*).

And now to find an inexpensive trainer.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria