Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

bike transport- New Orleans 70.3
CREATED: 03/09/09 by ferguson REPLIES: 3
ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 212
bike transport- New Orleans 70.3
POSTED: 3/09/09 4:07 PM

TriBike Transport isn't servicing this race. I'd prefer to ship my bike assembled but don't know of any other companies out there who do this.

The race only has a deal advertised through a local bike shop but it looks sketchy. I don't want to fly with my bike as that is a ginormous pain in the arse. Both options would have me breaking down my bike into pieces.

Anyone racing New Orleans have any advice? Does anyone out there know of another company that provides transport for fully assembled bikes?

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
RE: bike transport- New Orleans 70.3
POSTED: 3/09/09 5:20 PM

Your best bet is to either have a local shop ship it (they will break it down) and have another shop on the other end receive and assemble it (make sure you document the measurements).

But after all that you mine as well break it down your self and either ship the bike box to your destination and assemble it on the other end.

In all honesty breaking down a bike isn't that difficult. The first time it takes about 30 minutes, and assembly goes much much quicker. The next time you break it down it takes literally 10-15. It is worth it for piece of mind to do it yourself....then if something breaks you know where/who along the process broke it, but that scenario is less likely with you doing it yourself.

Just my opinion though...

trimontana's ravatar trimontana    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 51
POSTED: 3/09/09 10:21 PM

I'm doing New Orleans and plan to take my bike with me, huge case and all. Yes, it's a pain, but it's also comforting to know that your bike will be ready shortly after you land to test-ride the course. I agree with Chad: It's worth the peace of mind to know that it was assembled by you, in your own hotel room. Before disassembling your bike, be sure to mark all your settings (seat post, stem, etc.) with a permanent pen, metallic gold or silver.

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 212
POSTED: 3/12/09 10:12 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I agree that I'd feel better if the bike were with me during the trip. Also agree that there's a higher comfort level in personally assembling the bike. Shipping is out- gonna fly with it.

I flew with my bike to St. Croix back in '05 and swore I'd never do it again. Bike got all banged using one of those bulletproof hard cases (like the Tri All 3). Actually looked like it got run over by a truck!

Breakdown & assembly aren't that big a deal so much as getting it back to where it was. I've got everything dialed in so, even by marking up settings, that doesn't guarantee the same bike once humpty dumpty is back together again.

I'm probably going to buy a soft case and hope I don't get charged the bike fee. They way I look at it, the bag is paid for if I don't get upcharged by the airline!

Any bag recommendations? These provide good protection- looking at Akona BioSpeed Travel Bag, Bike Pro USA Peloton Travel Case, or Pika Packworks EEP.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria