Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

2012 Regional Club Championship - What's up?
CREATED: 03/07/12 by legalmoose REPLIES: 31
legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
2012 Regional Club Championship - What's up?
POSTED: 3/07/12 8:36 AM

It's March, the cherry trees have begun to bloom, the time changes this weekend, and yet we still don't have an announced regional club championship. We just got a regional newsletter two weeks ago, with no word on the race. Any idea on what the delay is, or when we'll finally hear something?

Will

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 351
RE: 2012 Regional Club Championship - What's up?
POSTED: 3/07/12 3:53 PM

I propose the Mid-Atlantic Region hold regional club championships at the Washington DC Triathlon on June 17. The timing is ideal, a week after Aquavelo championships in Cambridge, MD, and several weeks before the next regional championship (the next regional championship is not until the short course tri championship on August 12). The Philadelphia Insuarance Traithlon hosted in 2010, but that race is the same day (June 24) as the Aquabike National Championship in Richmond. While Richmond and Richmond Multisports were a good host last year, we can all agree that Rockett's Landing is not an ideal course for a championship race (91-degree water, a ladder-exit from the swim, and running on sidewalks & stairs). Conversely, DC Tri is a first-class venue, and this is a first-class race. DC Tri offers several options (sprint, oly, and relay). In addition, registration is still open!

-Luke

no-e-plz's ravatar no-e-plz    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 3/07/12 6:40 PM

I feel your frustration, however, the announcement of the club championship is imminent. We took a look at the past two years of hosts and determined that it was necessary to reconsider venue and logistics. We polled the regional clubs (DC Tri included) to find out what race they wanted to select and we're dotting the "eyes" and crossing the "tees" to be sure that all is on the up and up.

Suffice it to say that the championship race will be within an hour or two driving distance from DC and the race is still open.

The races that were under consideration are:

The DC Triathlon
General Smallwood
Colonial Beach triathlon

Stay tuned.

Cory Churches
USA Triathlon Mid-Atlantic Regional Council
Club liaison, treasurer

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 3/07/12 7:50 PM

Cory,

Just out of curiosity, how come USAT doesn't choose a site a year or two ahead of time? Wouldn't it benefit everyone more to do that? For example, the RD has more time to prepare and make it even more special than normal since RD will most likely sell more slots than normal. Perhaps even allow him/her to ask for a permit that will allow more participants. More participants mean the race has more time to recruit more vendors and sponsors.

The athletes benefit because there is more time to put it on their schedule. The club benefit because there is more time to plan. USAT benefit because it has more time to promote.

Tuan

no-e-plz's ravatar no-e-plz    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 3/08/12 6:57 AM

Tuan,

My only reasonable response is that that is how it has been done in the past and there has been critical turn over on the council and we lost the key member who would Shepard that process through. However, I am doing my best to pick up the pieces and ensure the race is one the clubs WANT to do and that the RD is fully prepared to host and score the championship.

I won't bore you with the details, but more goes into selecting the host race than just the venue and whether it has open registration.

We're doing our best and appreciate your patience. My hope is that this year and in the years to come there will be plenty of advance warning so planning as you described can occur.

The announcement will be this week.

Cory

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 361
POSTED: 3/14/12 9:30 AM

any updates?

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 3/14/12 10:54 AM

Down to two options now...

http://www.dctri.com/

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 3/14/12 11:13 AM

Canceled? WOW! I feel for all of the participants, especially the NTPers.

Having taken my fair share of licks from the Park Service at Sandy Point with PeasantMan I, I also feel really bad for the organizers of the DC Triathlon. Horrible feeling to have the rug pulled under you like that ... just a nasty taste that you don't want to wish on anyone.

If any of the NTPers want, we still have limited numbers of community fund slots available at PeasantMan. If we run out of those, I promise to open up more slots just for you all so that you have something to do during that time period.

Tuan

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1061
POSTED: 3/14/12 11:29 AM

Generous offer, Tuan.

To keep things as simple as possible, let's hold off on speculating on which race NTPers will do. We're working on a new goal race and then some alternatives if the new date doesn't work out.

For any NTPers reading, please hold off for a couple of days until you hear from us. We'll let you know how to handle the switch with plenty of time to get your refund.

Thanks!

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 950
POSTED: 3/19/12 11:02 AM

It's official now: General Smallwood Triathlon.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1735
POSTED: 3/19/12 11:34 AM

Hmm, again a local locale where DCT's huge numbers can play a role in competing for another title.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 3/19/12 12:55 PM

Ok- I am in for swimming through the reeds at Oly General Smallwood. Can someone with web access, put this Race in the Featured Race listing on the site.

Only 84 peeps registered for OLY when I just looked - now 85 with me.

This is usually a small race? No? How many can the RD handle?

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 3/19/12 2:07 PM

In. Great to ride with you guys on Sat. Anyone else want to join us at Eagleman as well just holler. It's a lot easier than Wash DC Tri. Simon

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 254
POSTED: 3/19/12 3:54 PM

That looks like a fun race. The area is really pretty for biking. Should be a good time. I'm in.

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 3/19/12 5:39 PM

Yes, General Smallwood Olympic Distance Race (July 7) is the Mid-Atlantic Club Championships.

The Board will have more information for you shortly. In the meantime, plan to come out to Indian Head, MD to race or to support your teammates. General Smallwood will also be an NTP goal race so DC Tri will have great representation on the course!

Race Discount: DC Tri members benefit from a race discount to Maryland Triathlon Series (MTS) events! Redeem your discount in the race section of the Club website.

Register: Make sure to indicate your affiliation with DC Tri Club at registration. Only participants in the Olympic distance race will be scored for the Club Competition. After you register, indicate that you are “attending” in the race section of the Club website.

Volunteer: We’ll need folks to come out to support the Club on July 7 for the Olympic Distance Race (Club Championships) and on July 8 for the Sprint (one of the NTP goal races). More information to follow. For now, save the dates!

Andrea

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 3/19/12 10:24 PM

In for the Oly! Note: no points for the Sprint.

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 147
POSTED: 3/23/12 11:28 AM

In for the Oly.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1735
POSTED: 3/25/12 8:28 PM

In, Oly, relay.

Seeking a runner.

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 185
POSTED: 3/26/12 12:43 AM

In :)

JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 3/26/12 8:40 AM

In for Oly

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria