Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

The Good, the bad, the ugly - Cap Hill Bikes to Close
CREATED: 11/13/09 by lisalisadc REPLIES: 5
lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
The Good, the bad, the ugly - Cap Hill Bikes to Close
POSTED: 11/13/09 8:29 AM

Here's a letter from the owner of Capitol Hill Bikes.

After 9 years, we've lost our lease and must liquidate our entire inventory!
Bikes, clothing, accessories, parts, fixtures--Everything must go!
Come in early for the best selection! Store opens at 11 a.m. sharp.
Up to 75% off
709 8th St SE
Washington DC 20003
202-544-4234
www.capitolhillbikes.com
Hours: M-F 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Sat. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sun. Noon to 5 p.m.

Cap Hill will probably get something really depressing to replace it, like a Baby Gap or another Yarn Barn.

Lisa
http://www.examiner.com/x-19867-DC-Sports-Travel-Examiner?showbio

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
RE: The Good, the bad, the ugly - Cap Hill Bikes to Close
POSTED: 11/13/09 10:49 AM

Their mechanics were always so friendly and helpful...

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 11/13/09 11:54 AM

seems like there are good deals to be had. go and buy yourself some equipment and gear for the coming year on the cheap.

bad for them = great deals for you the consumer.

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 11/13/09 12:44 PM

The place itself was sad enough...no inventory (What bike shop doesn't carry TUBES!), spotty service (not tightening crank arms so they fall off when you are riding or front deraileurs so they clamp down and get chewed up by your chainrings), and a general "I don't care about you" attitudes that only degraded over the past 7 years.

We used to have such a great relationship (and customer service) with them and then they started cutting our discount (which was the best discount we have and ever will have had, 25% off bikes!) to the point that it was negligible. So we expanded and took our business to other local shops and all the things noted above continued to get worse and worse after that.

It was only a matter of time. DC tri club single handily financed their "state of the art" service center through NTP bike sales when NTP was in it's infancy and when the discount was still significant. One sales figure we came across was that the club bought over $250k worth of bikes in less than one year.

On another note, if you are "relocating" or only need to find another location, why are you "liquidating" your inventory? Seems fishy to me...

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
POSTED: 11/13/09 12:47 PM

Justin: You'd be right about buying some good deals, if they had any merchandise to sell. It's basically an empty shell.

I'm with Chad--they ran this store into the ground and the liquidation is pretty sketchy IMO.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 11/13/09 1:34 PM

yes i was assuming that there is stuff there for you to buy... well i haven't been there in years so i have no clue i saw the "up to 75%" off. lol

wow 25% discount is a bit much at times, i can understand why they would eventually not give that.

then again, stores with a good following dont have to give any discounts at all and still thrive.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria