Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Eagleman ride Sunday 5/10?
CREATED: 04/28/09 by rah2774 REPLIES: 22
rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 247
POSTED: 4/28/09 1:25 PM

Hey, would anyone be interested/able to make the trek to Cambridge to ride next Sunday (5/10)? In an ideal world I'd like to follow it up with a 4 or 5 mile run as I'm missing the PVA Eagleman team training brick this weekend so I'd like to make up the mile and get used to the course. Not that I relish the thought of getting up before the sun, but I''m shooting for an 8am start time. Becky

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
RE: Eagleman ride Sunday 5/10?
POSTED: 4/28/09 1:31 PM

Lead and I shall follow :) If you want to ride shotgun and coordinate my email address is number55555@yahoo.com. I know that there's been discussions within the club about doing a ride before the race. I'm sure we'll have a good following for the practice ride.

I'm all in.

Tuan

smakane's ravatar smakane    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 4/28/09 4:25 PM

I'm definitely interested... keep me posted withd details. shannonmkane@gmail.com. Thx!

POSTED: 4/28/09 5:18 PM

excellent... the idea of making the trek solo and being out there alone if something were to happen did not thrill me! My email is rah2774@hotmail.com.
-Becky

toma's ravatar toma    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 4/28/09 6:52 PM

Folks, this will be my first Half and I'm not at all in a competitve time group at this point. Say 1:30 for my 40K PR

What kind of time/speed will you be doing the 56 miles at?

I would not want to go and not keep up with the group.

Of course I could always turn when I saw you coming back towards me!!!! :)

TOMA

Sash's ravatar Sash    JOINED: 4/24/09    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 4/28/09 6:54 PM

Hi - I'm new to the club. Would love to do this ... am signed up for Eagleman, too, but it's my first HIM so would like to feel comfortable with the course. Please keep me in the loop. My email is SusanRAshcom@comcast.net. I have a suburban if people are interested in riding down together. We could probably put several bikes on our hitch-mounted rack and then put a few in the far back. BTW, what's the PVA Eagleman training team you refer to? Thanks. -Susan

POSTED: 4/29/09 11:04 AM

I can't speak for the others who have responded, but rest assured Toma and Susan, I'm a relative newbie myself (translation, not a speed demon by any stretch). This will be my first 1/2IM as well. I did the course ride a few weeks ago with the PVA team (oh, I'm raising money for the Paralyzed Veterans of America - a DC tri member is a director and our coach, I want to say most of our EM team are DC tri members) and survived with an avg pace of 17-17.5 I want to say. I'm hoping to improve on that... but not kill myself, this is only training, after all.

I think carpooling or caravaning is a good idea... it's a long ride. I'd like to run afterwards (not for long maybe 30-40 minutes), so we'd have to be sure the bikes are secured (or someone who doesn't want to run doesn't mind staying to keep an eye on them).

I'll keep track of emails for everyone who's interested and maybe next Ts/Wd send an email to make a plan - so we can choose a meeting spot for the carpool/caravan. Then post what we decide to the forum for others who may be interested.

I live in Old Town, for what it's worth. I have a trunk bike rack (that I inherited, don't know how to use it, but I'm sure I can learn)... I think it fits 2 bikes, maybe 3... hmm... I should figure that out.

Really glad there's interest!
-Becky

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 269
POSTED: 4/29/09 12:06 PM

I am in for this ride too! (and the brick)

I will be going a slightly slower pace than Becky.

tycottrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 100
POSTED: 4/29/09 3:45 PM

I'm not doing Eagleman, but am doing my first 70.3 later in the season and think it would be fun to take a litle road trip to the Eastern Shore for a ride.

Ty

POSTED: 4/29/09 4:10 PM

fabulous, the more the merrier!

if you're not planning to carpool/caravan, plan to meet at the transition area (I think it's Great Marsh Park) at 8am.

if you do want to sync up for the trek we'll have to figure out who's coming from where - and where a mutually agreeable spot to meet up will be. It's about a 2 hour drive from my neck of the woods (adding time for a coffee and bathroom stop - I think both are probably required!).

I'm keeping track of email addresses, so if you haven't included one please post (or drop me a note: rah2774@hotmail.com).

I've heard a rumor that that day is Mothers' Day... in case that changes anyone's plan (mine is out of town and I'm seeing her this weekend so I'm off the hook).

-Becky

-Becky

smakane's ravatar smakane    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 4/29/09 5:33 PM

I probably will ride a bit slower than Becky that day as well... or should anyway (to avoid some knee challenges I am having)... =)

Sash's ravatar Sash    JOINED: 4/24/09    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 4/29/09 7:01 PM

Since it's mother's day, I'm sorry to say I have to drop out. If anyone wants to go on Saturday the 9th, I'd be up for that. Would like to try to ride @ at approx 20 mph depending on wind speed ... and not necessarily do the brick. And btw, is there an organized group out there training for Eagleman?

POSTED: 4/29/09 10:20 PM

unfortunately I can't on Saturday (or I would have opted for that day instead).

hope you can find some takers. Perhaps we can get another group ride set up before race day... seems like there's several EM'ers out there and lots of interest.

-Becky

POSTED: 4/30/09 12:33 PM

For your pleasure ... cue sheet :)

http://www.6pillarscentury.org/pdfs/56-Mile-Cue-Sheet-&-Map_FINAL.pdf

Tuan

POSTED: 4/30/09 12:38 PM

Official Map

http://www.tricolumbia.org/Eagleman/images/Bike_Course.pdf

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 269
POSTED: 4/30/09 3:33 PM

Also...this course is already marked with BRIGHT NEON PINK arrows. I was really nervous I was going to get lost when we rode a couple of weeks ago, because I can't hold a cue sheet and ride at the same time (working on that) but you have to work pretty hard to get lost out there. It's really nice.

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 334
POSTED: 5/05/09 1:49 PM

Some of the HIP-sters are tagging along on this ride.

Our e-mail said roll out around 8. Hopefully there will be a good group going!

Amanda

rdejonck's ravatar rdejonck    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 5/05/09 4:18 PM

Very tempting. I'll know for sure Friday after seeing my doc. It's been almost two months since I've been able to ride, so, I may be bringing up the rear.

POSTED: 5/05/09 4:32 PM

great, HIPsters welcome! The more the merrier.

The impromptu group is also planning on an 8am start... meeting up at Great Marsh Park (where we'll ride out race day). We haven't finalized caravan/carpool plans yet (may not be enough interest to go for such an organized plan). But I am trying to get a roster together so everyone will at least have everyone's names/cells in case someone riding solo gets stranded. If you want to be included on the list, send me your name and cell phone. rah2774@hotmail.com

Also, if you're interested in carpool/caravan let me know where you're coming from, how many you can drive (with bikes), and if you're planning to run afterwards...

Will the HIP folks have someone/a coach riding the course in a car/van looking out for riders in distress?

oh, and here's a link to directions to get to the start: www.tricolumbia.org/Eaglemand/Camb_map_overall.pdf (essentially 50, L Maryland, R High, L Water, R Somerset)

--see you all Sunday, glad it's turning into a good outing!

becky

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 5/09/09 6:51 AM

Several hipsters are coming too. Including me, jeanne.notborntorun@gmail.com

Thanks!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria