Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Achieve DC Voluteering?
CREATED: 06/17/09 by nelsb7p0 REPLIES: 9
nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 398
Achieve DC Voluteering?
POSTED: 6/17/09 10:31 AM

Does anyone know if we are helping out / volunteering with the Achieve DC Tri Camp (http://achievekidstri.org/home.html) this year?

I saw the mention of it in the Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/10/AR2009061001352_pf.html) last week but couldn't find a posting about it.

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
RE: Achieve DC Voluteering?
POSTED: 6/17/09 11:50 AM

For those who might be thinking about volunteering but aren't sure - this was the most fun and rewarding triathlon-related activity that I did last year. It looks like the camp ends on July 24 this year which should be the day of their big triathlon. I know it's a work day for most people, but it's worth taking a vacation day if you can to support and cheer on these kids.

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 6/17/09 2:58 PM

There is a formal agreement between DC Tri and Acheive. Our July HH is actually going to be a joint fundraising event for Acheive with some incredible prizes. Details are still in the works. It is a great program and if you can volunteer to support it please do.

harburgm's ravatar harburgm    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 93
POSTED: 6/18/09 10:48 AM

Hello all:

I work with ACHIEVE and will be helping to coordinate volunteers this year. Thanks Joe for mentioning the upcoming fundraiser this summer, it will be a fun time!

This is very short notice, but if anyone has time on June 19th from 9am to 2pm, ACHIEVE is holding a mini Olympic Day at Turkey Thicket Recreation Center. All three ACHIEVE camps and Arlington Kids Tri Camp will be joining for the event.

It will feature 3 stations on running drills, hydration and transition from pool to bike. We have a few Olympic athletes joining us to speak, as well as the Mayor hopefully. It will be a fun time no matter what! This being said, volunteers are definitely needed to help hustle the kids from one station to the next.

If you have time and interest, please send me an email at:
harburgm@yahoo.com and I will respond with further details.

Finally, as the program gets under way, I will be posting other volunteer opportunities as they arise.

Thanks DC Tri!
Michelle

POSTED: 7/10/09 4:45 PM

And, if you are interested in supporting ACHIEVE in another aspect - be sure to stop by the DC Tri and ACHIEVE fundraising Happy Hour this Thursday! It is from 6 - 9pm at Muse Lounge.

The raffle prizes include things such as a new Wetsuit, Computrainer, Apparel/Footwear Gift Certificates from Local Retailers and more.

Hope to see you there!
Michelle
PS Definitely invite your friends too. All are welcome.

manuelarenata's ravatar manuelarenata    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 7/10/09 6:52 PM

It's a great program. i volunteer that on tuesdays and hope to be there for the kids culminating tri. It's amazing to see those 9-14 year olds compete!
Renata

manuelarenata's ravatar manuelarenata    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 7/10/09 6:52 PM

It's a great program. i volunteer that on tuesdays and hope to be there for the kids culminating tri. It's amazing to see those 9-14 year olds compete!
Renata

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 7/13/09 9:07 AM

Hey.. is DC Tri going to have a group for one camp race day spot. I notice that there are 3 different camp and races. I thought it would be neat for us all to volunteer at the same Tri. Juat food for thought.

POSTED: 7/13/09 9:22 AM

There are indeed three camp locations, but there will be just one Kid's Tri! It takes place on July 24th and we will need volunteers on July 23rd to help set up the Tri in the late afternoon, and then on July 24th between 7am and 1pm.

The actual tri takes place starting at 9am on July 24th and all three camps will be competing against each other!

Thanks,
Michelle

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 7/13/09 9:25 AM

Michelle,

Thanks. Can you throw me an email. I need to ask you a question or 2. I am definately in for the race day, and possibly the day before.

Z
trithis_13(at)yahoo(dot)com

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria