Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Light-colored DC Tri gear suggestion
CREATED: 05/14/11 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 9
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
Light-colored DC Tri gear suggestion
POSTED: 5/14/11 10:28 AM

The tri jerseys offered in the shop have a blue background. I'd like to see an option for a white background along with the standard DC Tri Club logo. Something like the running shirt that we receive with our club membership.

A light-colored jersey would work a little better on hot D.C. summer days. It would also provide more visibility for those who train in the early morning or late evening hours.

There could be a blue section on the sides of the jersey to match the blue color of the tri shorts.

Is anyone else interested in a light-colored club jersey?

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
RE: Light-colored DC Tri gear suggestion
POSTED: 5/18/11 12:00 PM

I would be quite interested in that option. Definitely for the heat issue, as I battle this when out in the sun. My gingery skin can barely take the sun as it is without SPF 1009854, so a white jersey would definitely help cool me down.

legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
POSTED: 5/18/11 12:55 PM

The first jerseys the club did had a white background (and you'll still see a few members racing in them). The problem we found with the white background was that it quickly turned a not-so-lovely brownish color once exposed to open water, so you ended up racing in a dun-colored uniform rather than a nice white one. That's not to say we couldn't try it again, but our early experience with white racing uniforms was not a positive one.

Will

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 5/18/11 1:22 PM

Re the mud-stained jerseys, been there, done that. One of my tri jerseys is now a permanent light-brown color. Originally it was white. I've washed it almost half a dozen times since and I still can't get the muddy color out of it. (I only wear it during races.)

My plan for future non-wetsuit swims is to go without a jersey on the swim and put it on in T1. I did that successfully at a race last year. The front zips down almost all the way. With the unzipped jersey, it was fairly easy to put on quickly.

I don't recall if I've seen any women swim in just a sports bra and tri shorts in races, and then put on a tri jersey in T1. Since my wave starts are always with other guys in my AG, the only time I'm around women on the swim is when the fast ones pass me in the water. (Quite a few do that. Quite a few faster guys do that as well.)

In any case, would it be possible to have both a blue and a white jersey option? That would allow each person to make the decision about whether to deal with the mud-stained top or a little more heat on the bike and run. Pro sports teams have home and away uniforms. Many have alternate third uniforms. It would be interesting to have alternate DC Tri uniforms too. But maybe there might be issues with multiple designs and minimum order numbers.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 5/18/11 2:48 PM

What if the gear shop offered Champion System's "Summer Jersey" instead? Not saying we WILL, but if there is enough interest...

Here's more info on this type of jersey from CS:

"Custom Short Sleeve "Summer" Jersey

A Champion System exclusive! We've all raced and trained on brutally hot days and sometimes even the best wicking short sleeve jersey can't keep you cool enough. We have the answer — the Champion System Summer Jersey. Our Summer Jersey is made from our ultra-lightweight CS Tech-Lite fabric and features mesh side panels for increased ventilation."

-Andy

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 369
POSTED: 5/19/11 8:47 AM

When it comes to uniforms, I'd like to see the club do all one thing or all the other. The point of having a "uniform" is so that everyone looks uniform! If we have several variations, it's hard to tell at a distance who is actually on our team.

I agree that white uniforms (and even light blue ones) often end up looking light-brown on the bike and run. Look at what the pros are wearing... most of them are in royal blue, bright red, or black... not exactly the most sun-reflective colors!

Easily the most comfortable tri uniform I have is a solid black UVA one-piece. It's a high end lightweight breathable uniform... I honestly don't think the fact that it's jet black hinders me at all. I'm gussing the "Summer Jersey" Andy is suggesting through Champion Systems can achieve the same goal.

-Luke

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
POSTED: 5/19/11 9:27 AM

I guessed this goes along with what Luke is saying ... the owner of DeSoto sports, Emillo DeSoto, have stated that through their research based on their own product and the materials that they use that they see no differences (as far as attracting heat) between their black and white color clothes lines. They have arm COOLERS that are black as well as white ... among other things.

That's DeSoto and not Champion Systems. However, it kind of back up what Luke is saying in that just because it's black or a darker color doesn't necessarily mean that it will perform worst under the sun or in hot temperature. Most of us wear black bike shorts and I have never heard anyone complain that they are burning up in their shorts because of that.

As a side note, the Cervelo team at the Tour d'Italia and TDF wore all black gear. As I recall, some of those stages had some heat and sun.

Tuan

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 5/19/11 10:09 AM

I agree that a "uniform" should be "uniform", and that a "white" color quickly gets dirty and stays that way for the rest of its life. anyone drink red gatorade? on a race course? while eating chocolate gus? after swimming in the Potomac?). If you like racing in dirty-looking gear, that's your choice, but a club's race uniform should be designed to look like that (unless you're racing MTB or Xterra). Also, when white fabric gets wet, it gets translucent, which may make some people self-conscious, and it certainly degrades any SPF protection.

I also think that white early-morning/late evening doesn't make you more visible, it just makes you look like a fuzzy spot on someone's windshield or a patch of fog.

-- Andy, the "summer jersey" sounds like a good idea, if we can meet the minimums.

- ihan

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 966
POSTED: 5/19/11 10:59 AM

I was tempted to post the picture of the yellow-stained (from you know what) white tri uniform of the Olympic racer as he crossed the finish line as a way to say "no" to white uniforms, but then I didn't want people to lose their lunch as they read this thread.

POSTED: 5/19/11 11:54 AM

Well, it looks like the consensus is for light-colored jerseys then. (kidding)

I couldn't find any authoritative info online about whether light or dark colors are best on hot sunny days. There are differences with loose-fitting clothing and tight-fitting clothing. Others bring up the examples of Bedouins in North Africa traditionally wearing black robes while other desert countries favor white garments.

Shorts don't have as much coverage as a jersey does, so even if the color mattered, I don't think dark shorts would make as much of a difference as the jersey.

The mud-stain factor is a good one, although I've seen some pros wearing mostly white jerseys in races. White shorts can involve modesty issues (e.g., Chris Lieto at Kona, more than you wanted to see).

Most of the DC Tri clothing is blue but there are a couple white tops available already, just not tri jerseys. There are the tech running shirts and the racing singlet, available in the Gear shop. So there already is some variation among the club look, though most people will be wearing the tri jersey in tri races.

The nighttime factor is probably not too important. I rarely wear a tri jersey for most training rides (because I don't care about aerodynamic clothing in training) so I can wear any bright running shirt at night. As for visibility, the color of the clothes can make a difference. I know that when I ride late in the day at Hains Point, I find it difficult to see runners who are dressed completely in black or gray, even though I have a headlight on my bike. (A lot of casual runners/walkers wear all-dark colors at Hains Point at night, for some reason. Personally, I don't think that's a good idea.)

Anyway, some interesting points brought up. The summer jersey looks interesting. I might consider that option, if offered in the future.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria