DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Sandy Point Swim - Sunday, June 23
CREATED: 06/20/13 by bronxking REPLIES: 5
bronxking's ravatar bronxking    JOINED: 1/13/13    POSTS: 137
Sandy Point Swim - Sunday, June 23
POSTED: 6/20/13 10:08 PM

Hey,

There's a couple of us going out for a swim at Sandy Point on Sunday, leaving DC around 8 a.m. I plan to make it back to DC by 11 AM in time for brunch.

I have room for 2 more people in my car and if you're within 20-30 minutes drive from me (Brookland/Catholic University), I can come pick you up or we can meet somewhere in the middle. If you are driving, hope to see you out there and holla back!

FYI, there is no lifeguard/kayak/etc support. I plan to take my body board and I'll watch over folks for a while, and hopefully, someone will get tired, and can trade places with me so I can get my swim on.

Hope to see you there and message me if you need a ride!

-David

melinda    JOINED: 3/3/13    POSTS: 11
RE: Sandy Point Swim - Sunday, June 23
POSTED: 6/23/13 5:06 AM

David -
I obviously will miss today (having just seen this); but can you give me the location of Sandy Point? I am looking for a place to do a "all 3 workout" next weekend. And am really wanting to find a place to do open water swims!!
Thanks a ton! And if you want to head out again next weekend, let me know! (Anyone else is welcome too!! :) )
-Melinda

bronxking's ravatar bronxking    JOINED: 1/13/13    POSTS: 137
POSTED: 6/23/13 6:20 AM

Hey Melinda:

I have a race next weekend, but otherwise, I'm always down for doing all three sports in a day.

Sandy Point State Park is at: 1100 East College Parkway, Annapolis MD 21409. - It'll be my first time there and from what folks have told me, it's a great place to practice OWS, but there aren't any really good biking and running roads/trails there to do a brick. The better bet may be Mason Neck: http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/mas.shtml and you can ride to Quantico/Prince William County Forest and back, or stick to the local area.

I've also saw this little beach on the map that seems promising for an OWS brick: Aquia Landing Beach Park, but have not heard of anyone who has visited. http://www.virginia.org/Listings/OutdoorsAndSports/AquiaLandingPark

I'll contact you when I go out again, or vice versa. I'm always up for doing a brick.

melinda    JOINED: 3/3/13    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 6/23/13 7:06 PM

Awesome, thank you for the info!
I'll let you know for sure the next time (after next wkend) that I am doing an OWS.
Good luck and have fun next weekend!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1051
POSTED: 6/23/13 7:43 PM

Melinda,

I frequently head out to Sandy Point for swimming along with some biking and running. There is a bike route around that area and you are able to do some running. Only problem with running is that there is little shoulder on the roads that surround the park, but the people are courteous when running on the surrounding roads.

If you want, I can email you a couple of biking routes so you can piece together a ride from Sandy Point.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1298
POSTED: 6/24/13 7:13 AM

I would disagree with you that there aren't any good biking routes around the Sandy Point area :)

Over the years, there have been at least 2 different USAT sanctioned triathlons that have gone out of Sandy Point. The Annapolis Tri club as well as a few bike groups ride out there pretty regularly. I would defer to Hugh (ncrcoach) for all of the good biking routes in that area since he does a lot of his Ironman training out in that neck of the woods. Hugh can probably give you routes that will let you ride up 100 miles. Below is the old PeasantMan bike course/cuesheet that Hugh and I designed way way way back the in the old days :)

http://www.dsgrunning.com/PeasantMan_Bike_Course.pdf

--Tuan

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria