DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Bike Box?
CREATED: 08/06/09 by sloanmann REPLIES: 5
sloanmann's ravatar sloanmann    JOINED: 4/26/09    POSTS: 17
Bike Box?
POSTED: 8/06/09 7:25 AM

Hello All,

This is my first time using the Forum. Anyone know where I can buy a used bike box? I'm trying not to spend big $$$$ on a new one....

Thanks, Sloan

ajm27's ravatar ajm27    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
RE: Bike Box?
POSTED: 8/06/09 10:38 AM

If you don't want to spend the money to buy one, you can always rent one. I know Capital Hill bikes will rent one to you for ~$40 for the weekend. I am sure Conte's and others might have bike boxes as well. You could also check craigslist. They often have bike boxes cheap. Good luck.

cfudge1    JOINED: 3/4/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 8/06/09 1:07 PM

Here's everything I know on the topic.

I bought a used Trico Iron case on ebay. I cant remember exactly how much I paid - maybe around $200? Anyway, I like it, its basically a solid plastic box with three super thick layers of foam. It also has wheels for easy dragging around the airport. Its pretty easy to make your bike fit and once you know what parts to loosen it takes me only 15 minutes or so to do it. If you're flying, Southwest is the most bike friendly airline ($75).

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 8/06/09 1:44 PM

I've shipped my bike UPS before - UPS will ensure it and deliver it to your destination - nice option if you can plan ahead. They are usually fairly reliable. Also, UPS will come pick it up at the other end and deliver it home. No lugging through airports and it is insured.

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 8/06/09 2:49 PM

I'm 90% positive that The Bike Rack will rent one (and box it up for you) to any DC Tri Club member for cheap - they are really, really nice to us and I feel like I remember talking with Chuck about this at one point.

sloanmann's ravatar sloanmann    JOINED: 4/26/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 8/06/09 5:56 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I think I may try to buy a used one because I anticipate using it frequently traveling out to Lake Tahoe. The hills out there are killer!
I'll look for Trico Iron case and I've heard Serta makes one...?

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria