Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

D.C. tri history: Whatever happened to... ?
CREATED: 09/08/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES:
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
D.C. tri history: Whatever happened to... ?
POSTED: 9/08/10 12:22 AM

I was browsing through Dave Scott's triathlon book online at Amazon.com and came across the list of triathlon clubs in one of the indexes. [I refuse to type "indices".] Since the book was published in 1985, the list of tri clubs is outdated now. For the D.C. area, there are two organizations listed with the same exact P.O. box in Alexandria, the North Virginia Triathlon Association and the Washington Area Triathlon Association. The contact names are both people with the last name Young, first names Alton and Steve, possibly brothers.

(There was also a White Oak Triathletes group in Silver Spring. The Reston Triathlon Association was later reborn as Reston Area Triathletes. White Oak appears to be defunct.)

Anyone know the history of the Alexandria-based tri groups? How big did they ever get and when did they fade away? Are Alton and Steve Young still around in the area and are they still active in triathlon?

Just curious about this facet of D.C.-area triathlon history. (I was a history major. I get curious about details like this.)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria