Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Metro bike lockers?
CREATED: 08/06/09 by kkaufer REPLIES: 7
kkaufer's ravatar kkaufer    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 123
Metro bike lockers?
POSTED: 8/06/09 11:27 AM

I'm running out of space in my apartment to store my bikes and was thinking of renting one of those bike lockers at the metro (e.g. Eastern Market or New York Ave). But before I lock my baby in there I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these things? Are they safe or high risk for break-ins/vandalism?

Thanks for any feedback,
Kate

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1655
RE: Metro bike lockers?
POSTED: 8/06/09 11:31 AM

What about those wall bike racks? To an athlete at least, they look cool.

POSTED: 8/06/09 11:46 AM

Yes, but since my apartment is the size of a shoebox even horizontal storage possibilities are limited ... Oh, and did I mention that I live on the fourth floor in a building without an elevator...?

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/06/09 12:43 PM

4th floor, and no elevator.. Sounds like cross training material to me. I have to agree with Ed. If your apartment is packed tight because of cool workout equipment (SPECIALLY TRI STUFF), it is good to go. For those that look at it as an eye sore. They don't know, and will probably never know. Before I deployed I lived in a 1 bedroom, had to go outside to change your mind apartment. So I know what you are going through, but I rather have my bikes in the house. There is no telling with the lockers.

beth h    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 8/06/09 2:41 PM

I rented a bike locker and after only a few usages my bike ended up getting locked in the locker when the lock malfunctioned. It took two weeks, hours of phone calls and too many arguments with WMATA before they could arrange to meet me to free my bike. Of course they insisted it was my fault because I didn't know how to work the key in the lock, but then again, neither did the other three people I brought along to show me what I was doing wrong.

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 159
POSTED: 8/06/09 3:07 PM

Like Beth, I know a friend who was unable to open the bike locker at Cleveland Park. Real pain to get DC to come fix the problem too.

POSTED: 8/06/09 3:21 PM

Wow, it never occurred to me that I'd have a problem getting my bike OUT. That's pretty scary. I guess I'll just have to HTFU and keep schlepping my bike up and down the stairs -- just need to make sure my next bike matches my living room walls...

POSTED: 8/06/09 3:21 PM

PS: thanks for the feedback!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria