Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New to triathlon, got a Sprint in 3 weeks
CREATED: 05/31/10 by Helenihi REPLIES: 12
Helenihi    JOINED: 5/17/10    POSTS: 6
New to triathlon, got a Sprint in 3 weeks
POSTED: 5/31/10 5:55 PM

...and I'm mostly incompetent at swimming.

I signed up a while ago, but work has gotten in the way of doing as much swim practice as I wanted and now I find myself with 3 weeks to go and going 50 meters without needing to flip over on my back and take a break is an accomplishment.

But I feel great about the running portion and not too worried about the bike, so if I spend every day in the pool from now til race time, think I have a chance?

-Erick

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
RE: New to triathlon, got a Sprint in 3 weeks
POSTED: 5/31/10 6:58 PM

I'm assuming that your tri is an open water swim with the swim leg somewhere in the 750m ballpark?

Chance? Yes. The Ironman motto is "Anything is Possible."

Most likely you will either see God (if you are religious), seek God (if you are not religious), ask God for help during the swim, or any of those 3 combination. Open water swimming isn't about how much a stud you are on the bike or on the run. It's about dealing with the water. When you can't see the bottom, feel the bottom, see where you are going, and getting bumped and hit all at the same time ... it's a different ball game.

I know I know ... people tell you that you can swim in the back of your age group wave so as to get away from the washing machine effect. Well, there are usually a dozen plus waves behind you. They come fast and they'll whack their own grandmother if she's in their way.

Go out to Sandy Point sometime this week . Swim out to the furthest buoy. You won't be able to stand at that point. Now try to swim (parallel to shore) from that buoy to the last buoy at the other end. It will look A LOT longer but the spread is about 400-500 meters. See how easy or hard that is. That will give you a good indication as to whether you can handle the mental aspect of swimming in open waters. If you think it isn't that bad then you have a shot. If you have a holly cow experience then perhaps doing a tri when you have had a chance to train properly for the swim is a better option.

I'll be at Sandy Point this Wed and Friday. Feel free to come out and join me for a little spin if you are afraid to swim by yourself.

Here is a similar thread that may answer your question.

Good luck
Tuan

POSTED: 5/31/10 10:24 PM

Yeah, I'm doing the DC sprint tri, 800m swim.

I read through that thread, good info, though one difference is that I've already signed up, so I don't consider dropping out an option unless a test OWS goes very poorly.

Thanks for the offer, while I would love to get to Sandy Point this week my job makes getting out there during the week impossible. There's at least got an OWS clinic the week before the race that I will hopefully be attending.

Saw your last post in that thread and I have a question about the swim waves. You mentioned Clyde's going last in that one, I don't remember if the registration required me to say if I'm a Clyde, but I'd quality if the cutoff is >200lbs. Will they definitely have a Clyde wave? I also registered for the "newbie challenge" in the DC tri, would they be likely to separate anyone registered for that and start them near the back? Either of those would help with the whole getting crushed problem.

-Erick

POSTED: 5/31/10 10:51 PM

Many triathlons have Athena and Clydesdale divisions. Will DC Tri have one? Travis or Michelle H can probably best answer that question since they are associated with the race. You can always email the race and ask. Being in the Clydesdale division will definitely help you avoid as many swimmers as possible since the clydes wave is usually one of the last waves to start.

From what I understand, the Newbie challenge is a race within a race. They won't separated you into a newbie swim wave. You will swim with your age group. They take your time and compare it to other people who have declared themselves as newbies. Keep in mind that there will be a lot of newbies in this race. If they have a newbie wave, you don't want to be in it since it'll probably be the largest wave out there and everyone will be clinging onto each other for dear life at about 50 meters into the race :)

I can't say it enough. Open water swimming at a triathlon is a different beast than swimming in the pool ... especially for the new and weak swimmers. People don't realize or believe this until they start swimming toward shore or toward one of the kayaks at about 50-100 meters into the race.

POSTED: 6/13/10 10:44 PM

So I did the newbie OWS clinic at Sandy Point Saturday, I'm feeling a bit better about the whole swimming thing. It'll be slow, and I'll be on my back or side a lot, but I don't think I'll die. Got a lot of conflicting estimates on how far we swam in the final bit, but estimates seemed to be about half the sprint distance.

I got a little panicky a few times when I was out there, hopefully that won't happen, but if it does I should be able to flip to my back to calm down and control my breathing, or worst case, grab onto a kayak for a few seconds.

Looks like I'm not working this week, so I'm going to try and go back to Sandy Point once or twice.

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 6/14/10 9:25 AM

Erick,

I volunteered at the clinic on Saturday and those were some of the toughtest conidtions I've seen at Sandy Point. If you were able to handle those with minimal panic, you should be fine on race day. Just remember -- if you feel tired or panicky, simply flip onto your back, wave your arms in the air and a kayak should appear. Relax, take a few deep breaths, collect yourself and you'll be fine.

I'm going to Sandy Point either Wednesday or Friday morning for an easy swim. I like to leave DC around 7 am, swim 8-9 am, shower at Sandy Point, then be back in DC and working around 10:30 am. If you want to join me, let me know.

But if Tuan is going the in the afternoon, I might change my plans and go later so I can witness the Vertical Swimmer in action!

Tammy

POSTED: 6/14/10 10:01 AM

Tuan ain't going to the Chesapeake. After my non-wetsuit swim experience at Eagleman this weekend, it may take years before I get back into the Chesapeake :)

It's still my offseason by the way. Real season does not start for another 2 weeks.

Tuan

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 6/14/10 10:28 AM

Tammy -

Didn't you swim enough this weekend?

I'm off on Wednesday morning so if you want company and can wait until after track to head out to Sandy Point, I'd love to join you again.

Tuan - I also would like to see the vertical swimmer in action. Plus, you couldn't have been more traumatized by that swim yesterday than I was.

POSTED: 6/14/10 11:09 AM

500 meters on Saturday, 4.4 miles Sunday, couple thousand meters recovery swim today, no that's not enough!

Wednesday morning after track sounds good. Hopefully I won't have any work emeregencies that prevent me from coming in late that morning.

POSTED: 6/14/10 1:56 PM

I would definitely be up for joining you on Wednesday.

POSTED: 6/14/10 1:59 PM

Great - where do you live? Michele and I will be carpooling and departing from the Shirlington area around 7:15 am.

POSTED: 6/14/10 2:04 PM

Clarendon area. A few blocks south of the metro.

POSTED: 6/14/10 2:44 PM

If you want to carpool, email me offline. We'll probably leave from my house between 7:10 and 7:15 am.

tammy_L_farmer at hotmail dot com

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria