Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Recommend pool in Arlington/Alexandria area
CREATED: 02/04/11 by tgalbert REPLIES: 11
tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
Recommend pool in Arlington/Alexandria area
POSTED: 2/04/11 8:26 AM

Does anyone have any intel on a decent pool in the Arlington/Alexandria area? Best hours to go?

Thanks for the help!

Trevor

RAFTRI's ravatar RAFTRI    JOINED: 12/22/10    POSTS: 27
RE: Recommend pool in Arlington/Alexandria area
POSTED: 2/04/11 9:34 AM

I use the X-Sports pool on King St, the pool is open 0500 to 0000 (midnight). I usually go Tuesday and Thursday morning from 0530 for an hour ish....sometimes have the whole pool to myself sometimes there are up to 6 people there so never busy at those times.
Membership is reasonable and the rest of the gym is quite comprehensive; http://www.xsportfitness.com/locations/alexandria.asp
Give it a try.

ecrandlemire's ravatar ecrandlemire    JOINED: 4/13/10    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 2/04/11 9:34 AM

Trevor:

If you are an Arlington County resident, I would recommend the pools at the county high schools. I swim M/W/F before work at Wakefield H.S. and occasionally I have to share a lane but I usually have one to myself.

Here is a link to their faciliaties:

http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/parksrecreation/scripts/pools/ParksRecreationScriptsPoolsPools.aspx

POSTED: 2/04/11 9:37 AM

Both of these were very helpful. Thank you both. I'll have to give them both a try!

You guys are great!

T

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1786
POSTED: 2/04/11 10:59 AM

A big crowd of triathletes swims at Washington Lee high school early weekday mornings, starting 5:30, crowded, less so approacing 7 am, less so later in day. A masters team starts swimming weekday mornings at Chinquapin pool in Alexandria at 6, with non-masters in the other lanes.

POSTED: 2/04/11 11:16 AM

Great! I've heard about W&L. I imagine there are swim meets there on weekends? Trying to get some laps in tomorrow midday-ish...

Am I better off at a gym or one of the schools for a weekend workout?

POSTED: 2/04/11 11:45 AM

Depends. Contact the venue, the web site's best, for a list of daily pool activities, such as meets and masters and rehab swims that could fill up the lanes.

POSTED: 2/04/11 11:48 AM

Looks like I'll be starting wtih W&L. Talked to the guy there, sounded reasonable, and hopefully I stand a chance of getting a lane.

I'll be happy when swimming outside can happen.

All of you have been very helpful.

Btw, anyone doing any open water swims this month/next?

POSTED: 2/04/11 11:59 AM

The Polar Plunge was last week. :)

Some will start doing OWS at Sandy Pt. Annapolis in March-April.

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 271
POSTED: 2/05/11 3:31 PM

I'll put in another vote for W&L. It's a great chlorine free pool and it's generally not too crowded whenever I go (after 17:00 on the weekdays). Only downside is they have a lot of swim meets, so occasionally you have to run up to Yorktown for a swim.

POSTED: 2/06/11 10:34 PM

Did W&L on Saturday around 1300, and it was really nice. I appreciated the chlorine-free water. Wasn't incredibly crowded, just did circles with these other swimmers that kicked my butt. I'm going to assume all the Arlington county pools have the same fee, too.

Wakefield is definitely closer for me, but it's good to know other places to go. May even have to try X-Sports since it's close.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Aleta's ravatar Aleta    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 2/07/11 7:01 PM

I belong to the Sport and Health club in Bailey's Crossroads. Membership is about $60/month, but the club has everything you want and need. The pool has three lap lanes, that are available when you would expect... early morning, early afternoon, and after work.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria