Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Ocean Swims - Tips?
CREATED: 08/06/09 by jvanleunen REPLIES: 5
jvanleunen    JOINED: 3/3/09    POSTS: 18
Ocean Swims - Tips?
POSTED: 8/06/09 4:51 PM

Does anyone have experience and advice for ocean swims? I'll be down in Nags Head, NC area for a week and need to keep up my training so I plan to do some swims at the beach. I've been in the Bay (Sandy Pt), but looking for tips for the ocean. I'm a little concerned about the currents.

Thanks!

ecurunr04's ravatar ecurunr04    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
RE: Ocean Swims - Tips?
POSTED: 8/06/09 5:21 PM

First check to see if there are any posted warnings for rip tides or unwanted aquatic creatures. If all is clear, heading out past the breakers and swimming parallel to shore will probably be your best bet.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 8/06/09 11:21 PM

1. Always be at least the 2nd slowest swimmer.
2. Never swim at dusk or dawn or near seals or fish that are breaking.
3. No flippers.
4. Wear a light-colored or white bathing cap
5. Bring a friend that is slower than you (see #1).

Have fun and tell people (strangers, lifeguards, friends on the shore, basically anyone) that you are swimming and to watch you.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/07/09 8:47 AM

Ocean Intervals By The Chalupa

1. Get out to where there is a lifeguard.
2. As you jog pass the lifeguard to hit the water, say, "Good Luck trying to catch me." The lifeguard will be confused and not understand just yet.
3. Start your swim at a casual pace straight out.
4. After about 100-150 yards, you will hear loud whistles. Don't pay attention to them. It's a ploy to lure you back to shore before your intervals are done, so keep swimming out.
5. Once the whistles stop, you should check the shoreline. about this time there should be a VERY angry person grabbing a big surfboard and heading into the water.
6. Thus your first interval begins. Go parallel to the shore at a hard pace for a good hard 2-3 min. The angry person will surely be trying to cut off your path.
7. Take a 30 sec break, and then go back in the direction you came from. Again at a hard pace for 2-3 min. At which point the angry lifeguard should be right on top of you, if not stopping you.
8. Here is the tricky part. You need to get at least 4 sprints in. So when the angry lifeguard gets to you, apologize whole heartedly. As he/she is close enough, knock them off their board, and kick the board away
9. Begin you 3 rd sprint, again hard for 2-3 min.
10. Now you are probably in trouble, so let the lifeguard lead you into shore. When you are about 100-150 meters from shore, again knock them off the board, kick their board away.
11. Last sprint!!! Everything you got to get to shore, and when you hit the shore, hit is like a T1 at a race, except you will be heading for you car as quickly as possible. Don’t look back and no need to peel you wetsuit, or put on a helmet.
12. This routine is not recommended to be done at the same beach with in at least 6 months. These silly lifeguards have a good memory and will try and foil your interval training.

jvanleunen    JOINED: 3/3/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 8/07/09 11:00 AM

Thanks to all!
After watching Shark Week all week I'll be looking for shark repellent in the sun screen isle before my trip!

Swim advice and tips for taunting lifeguards and strangers all much appreciated! :D Have good weekend!

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 8/07/09 12:39 PM

Mark,

You're so twisted :)

Paula

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria