Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

NTP 2012 - Got Questions?
CREATED: 01/18/12 by legalmoose REPLIES: 21
legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
NTP 2012 - Got Questions?
POSTED: 1/18/12 4:18 PM

We're about to kick off the 2012 New Triathlete Program, and while we've got lots of information on the NTP Page, we're sure folks have questions. Feel free to ask them here and the co-leaders will do our best to respond.

The information session is this Saturday the 21st from 10-noon at the MLK Library downtown, and registration for the first class will open on Sunday the 22nd at 10am. There will be two NTP classes this year, one for the DC Tri (sprint and Olympic) and a smaller one for the Nation's Triathlon (Olympic only), so folks have two opportunities to take part in this program (registration for the 2nd class will be in April, with that class starting on April 23rd).

For experienced club members, please don't forget to fill out the NTP Mentor and Volunteer Application Survey so we can match you up with NTPers as mentors and/or with other volunteer opportunities.

We're really looking forward to this year's NTP classes and think that this, our eight year, will our best yet.

Will
2012 NTP Co-leader and Coach

atelford's ravatar atelford    JOINED: 1/20/12    POSTS: 12
RE: NTP 2012 - Got Questions?
POSTED: 1/22/12 9:35 AM

Will weekend training be on Saturdays or Sundays?

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 1/22/12 9:45 AM

There will be weekend workouts on both days for you to do.

Typically one of the days on the weekend will have a group workout, but the specific day will vary. We try to switch the day of the group workouts around in case there are people that work one of the two days so they have a chance to show up sometimes.

For the first month or two, the group workouts will follow the clinic of the weekend. When we post the clinic schedule next weekend, you can safely assume that group workouts are on the same days as the clinics, if you want to plan accordingly.

Bryan
2012 NTP Co-Leader

atelford's ravatar atelford    JOINED: 1/20/12    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 1/22/12 9:48 AM

Thank you!

pomonak    JOINED: 12/12/11    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 1/22/12 10:51 AM

Hi, Just registered for NTP 2012 and am really looking forward to the kick off next Saturday.

Question - How do I sign up for a mentor?

EmilyW    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 1/22/12 11:28 AM

Hi, Just registered (yay!). Where do I find the schedule of events and training?

And how far in advance will it be posted? I have to do my work schedule for a 3 month block at a time, and it's moderately hard to change after it's set (I will need to request my April-June schedule by mid-Feb). Complicated, I know, but should work out OK.

Thanks! Looking forward to this!
Emily

POSTED: 1/22/12 11:50 AM

Miki - you'll get a survey soon; the survey will ask you for background info and whether you want a mentor or not. Once we have that back we'll do the matching.

Will
2012 NTP Co-leader & Coach

POSTED: 1/22/12 11:56 AM

Emily - we're finalizing those details now. At a minimum we'll be handing out the training program for the first month (1/30 - 2/26) at the Orientation meeting next Saturday, and posting the plan for at least the first two periods (thought 3/25) online. There will also be a Google calendar with the full clinic schedule posted on an NTP-specific page available to the registered members of the program.

Will
2012 NTP Co-leader & Coach

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 1/22/12 2:28 PM

What are the time commitments like for volunteers and/or mentors? Thinking of helping out, but don't want to get in over my head and not be able to deliver.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1794
POSTED: 1/22/12 4:39 PM

Time commitments for vols and mentors tend to be modest. For instance you can volunteer, or not, for any of the NTP workouts you choose. Mentoring is focused on providing supplemental advice, with the heavy lifting provided by the NTP program itself.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1332
POSTED: 1/23/12 9:24 AM

Brian ... x2 on what Ed said.

The NTP coordinators send out emails to all of the mentors whenever they have clinics or group workouts. The emails would solicit volunteers to help out at those activities. Mentors who are interested would sign up and come to help out, but it's strictly voluntary.

There is a survey that asks if you want to interact with the mentee via emails only or emails and in person. If you choose the later (from my experience doing it for the past 3 years), unless you attend the group workouts or clinics, 95% of your interactions will be via emails. The NTP program/clinics does a pretty good job of giving the NPTers everything that they need.

Like Ed said, your time commitment will be modest, unless you volunteer to be at all of the clinics and group workouts.

Tuan

alhanson    JOINED: 1/26/12    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 1/26/12 3:48 PM

Just paid for a slot so I assume I am good to go. I am really looking forward to this. Thanks to the club members for putting it together.

Andy

ysc2k    JOINED: 1/27/12    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 1/27/12 10:29 AM

is there time and location of the kickoff? thnx in advance!

POSTED: 1/27/12 11:33 AM

The Orientation Clinic (Tri 101) is tomorrow (Saturday) at the MLK library at 10AM (same place as last week's Information meeting).

Bryan
2012 NTP Co-Leader

pomonak    JOINED: 12/12/11    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 1/29/12 10:36 AM

Good morning all,

Question: Can we sign up for more than one swim clinic session on the weekend of 2/11? I signed up for the session for beginner's on 2/11 at 11am, but am interested in participating in another session on 2/12.

Thanks!

POSTED: 1/29/12 10:49 AM

Please sign up for just 1 swim clinic right now. We have just enough space to give everyone an opportunity to go to a swim clinic. There are some people who don't want swim clinics, so there might be extra space, but we won't know that until closer to the events.

Having said that, signing up for multiple swim clinics on the same weekend won't necessarily be that helpful to you. They would be repetitive to you as you would be going over the same material. You would be better off taking the clinic one day and then going to your swimming pool and practicing everything you learned from the clinic on the next day while it's still fresh in your mind.

Bryan
2012 NTP Co-Leader

IParada's ravatar IParada    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 1/29/12 11:05 AM

Where should I sign up for Feb. 11 swim clinic? Can't find it under "Shop". I saw clinic for CUA on Feb. 5, though.

Thanks.

POSTED: 1/29/12 11:08 AM

The NTP swim clinic RSVPs are on the NTP-only page (You have to be signed in to access this page). They will also be available in the newsletter that will go out early this week.

malloyrobert's ravatar malloyrobert    JOINED: 1/21/12    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 1/29/12 12:03 PM

I was reading the Tri Magazine given out at Orientation and it left me with a few questions. Even though it's months away I wonder -

1. Do you put your cycling shoes in your pedals on race day prior to the race? (so when you show up your good to go)

2. I guess you cycle in your swim jammers? but what do you run in? How do you change (assuming you can't go camando at the transitions)

3. Socks or no socks?

Thanks I can see how watching an actual tri will help.

BOb

POSTED: 1/29/12 1:22 PM

Some of these questions are definitely months out from needing to be answered, but I'll go with it now. :::^)::

1) This is entirely up to you. A lot of people do not clip the shoes into the pedals for the race. We will go through transitions and mount/dismount lines as we get closer to the race. If you are comfortable riding your bike and slipping your feet into the shoes, then go for it. But if you're not stable while doing that, you are liable to wipe out, so I'd say it's safe to put your feet in the shoes first and then clip in at the mount line.

2) We will go through this at the Gear Clinic this coming weekend. The quick answer is: tri shorts. They are designed to be worn during all three legs of a triathlon.

3) Entirely personal preference. If you're worried about the 5-10 seconds it takes you to put socks on in transition, then leave them off.

Hope that helps.

Bryan
2012 NTP Co-Leader

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria