Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Bike Wanted - mine just got stolen
CREATED: 08/31/12 by dhops REPLIES: 8
dhops's ravatar dhops    JOINED: 7/12/12    POSTS: 113
Bike Wanted - mine just got stolen
POSTED: 8/31/12 4:56 PM

My bike just got stolen off a rack outside the Francis pool - welcome to DC living. There goes my sole mode of transport.

Anyone know someone who is selling

a) a cheap road bike for my local commute/errand running or
b) a wicked awesome tri bike that they just don't need? 58cm preferred.

triathed's ravatar triathed    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 6
RE: Bike Wanted - mine just got stolen
POSTED: 9/06/12 6:47 AM

Deborah,

How tall are you?

Ed

POSTED: 9/06/12 11:21 AM

I'm 5'10" but I have awesome news - I recovered my bike! The person who stole it put it on Craigslist, and with the help of the Montgomery County Police Department's 2D Special Assignment Team, we set up a meet and took down the perp. It was very cool!

My bike has a few new scratches but they're just battle scars, and they tell a story. :)

triathed's ravatar triathed    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 9/06/12 12:14 PM

Congratulations on recovering your bike.

My earlier question regarding your height was that a 58cm frame is usually for someone over 6 foot tall. I am 5'9" and ride a 54 cm frame and have some other bikes that are shorter measuring the traditional bottom bracket to top of seat post tube. A better measure is now the top tube length which determines the reach to the handlebars. My 54cm Specialized Roubaix has a 54.5 top tube while my Kona Jake the Snake cyclocross is a 49cm height frame with a 53cm top tube. I have fairly long arms and have had to reduce my stem length from a traditional 110cm down to an 80 cm to give me more flexibility with adjusting my seat fore and aft to change my seat tube angle. Generally you want a steeper angle for a tri-specific bike so you are "running" on top of the pedals which makes your T2 transition easier and your legs don't feel as heavy going bike to run.

Have you had a complete fit test for your bike?

Ed
triathed@yahoo.com

POSTED: 9/06/12 12:22 PM

So, this is a road bike I got about 5 years ago, and I was fitted at a local bike shop where I lived at the time. But, I can't say how knowledgeable the staff was because it was my first road bike purchase and I knew less than they did.

I'm actually in the market for a tri bike now, and am thinking I'll probably need a 56 or even a 54. Out of all three disciplines I'm weakest on the bike and know the least, so any help/assistance is much appreciated. I'm really hoping to improve and get stronger before Ironman Kalmar next August. Also, if you can suggest a good bike shop (I've only lived in DC for a few months) that would be awesome. My email is debbiehopkins at hotmail dot com so feel free to use that.

Thanks a bunch!!!

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 9/06/12 12:37 PM

I have been out road bike shopping, and now is the time to get a deal especially if you are looking for a more common frame size like a 54 or a 56. A lot of the 2013 bikes are already out so a lot of shops have already cleared out all their 2012s but you can still probably get a deal. Here are the stores that I found had Tri-bikes in stock. If they are selling a 2012 and they don't have it marked down, ask them what they can do for you on the price because you had might as well just come back in a month for a 2013 if they don't give you at least 10-15% off on the 2012.

Cyclelife
Freshbikes
Revolution Cycles
The Bike Rack
Tri-360
Spokes Etc
Tri-Bonzai

-Mark

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 714
POSTED: 9/06/12 12:51 PM

Oh - oh oh - details on the sting operation. That sounds like fun.

Also, search the Forum for the bike fitter guy in MD who doesn't sell bikes, but is the best bike fitter hands down by consensus of the DC Tri Club.

Congrats on getting your bike back - someone upstairs had your back :)

POSTED: 9/06/12 12:53 PM

Thanks, and you're absolutely right - someone upstairs totally had my back!

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 9/06/12 5:39 PM

Debbie... yeah. I'm taller than you and I ride a 56 in both my road and tri bikes. :)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria