Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Air Force Cycling Classic - Crystal Ride, Sun, May 31st
CREATED: 04/29/09 by dctexan REPLIES: 23
dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
Air Force Cycling Classic - Crystal Ride, Sun, May 31st
POSTED: 4/29/09 1:19 PM

This is a good opportunity to get in a metric century or more on a closed course that's close to home and reasonably priced. I've seen both the pro races (the Clarendon Cup is the former CSC Invitational, I believe) and they're exciting events.

Info taken from: http://www.airforcecyclingclassic.com/index.php

There will be several different events associated with the Air Force Cycling Classic the last weekend in May. Saturday, May 30th, the Air Force Cycling Classic's Clarendon Cup, now in it's 12 year, will again see the area's top amateurs race in Clarendon. A women's race will follow, leading up to the featured event of the day, the 100km race for over 100 of the worlds top pros. Then, on Sunday, May 31st, cyclists of all abilities will be able to participate in the Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride, challenging themselves for up to 100km, or 8 laps, on the 12.5km course in and around Crystal City in this non-competitive event. Following the Crystal Ride, members of the three military service academy cycling teams will again compete for bragging rights as they race against the clock in a team time trial race. Finally, the worlds top professional cyclists will again take to the streets of Arlington to provide the days featured entertainment as they compete on the 12.5km course.

Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride
Sunday, May 31, 2009 0700 hrs
Crystal City Ride

Brief Description:
The Crystal Ride (the “Peoples Ride”) is a non-competitive ride that will begin and end in Crystal City and pass by the Air Force Memorial. It offers a 12.5 kilometer course open to both serious and casual amateur cyclists, but closed to traffic! Bronze, Silver and Gold Medals will be awarded for those who can complete 2, 4 or 8 laps within the 3.5 hour window that the course will be open for the ride. 8 laps will equate to a metric century (100 km).

Entry Fee Includes: T-Shirt, Timing Chip rental, Finishers Medal, Refreshments and Active.com fee.

Fees:
$35 General Entry
$25 Active Duty/Reserve Military Personnel
$10 Late fee after May 15

Registration Page: http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1692636&assetId=23b3f3ef-05ee-4a23-8660-c7c14d0c4f9a

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
RE: Air Force Cycling Classic - Crystal Ride, Sun, May 31st
POSTED: 4/29/09 1:36 PM

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

I'm all in :)

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 4/29/09 1:49 PM

100 km = 62.137 miles. 62.137 miles / 3.5 hours = 17.75 mph pace to win Gold. Hmmm...

Tamara's ravatar Tamara    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 4/29/09 2:17 PM

This is actually pretty fun. Our company is a sponsor, so Stuart and I entered last year and this year. The "downhill" and peletons that formfrom the Pentagon to Crystal City and back are cool. The long climb from the Pentagon to the AF Memorial just sucks.

If you haven't done a draft-legal tri or a bike race, this is kind of a cool experience. You've got mostly individuals in there but some of the high-end amateur teams are "competing" in full kit as well.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 4/29/09 2:38 PM

Man this sucks. I will be in North carolina Racing Xterra Smith Lake. I have ran and cycled in this area plenty of times. Will be an AWESOME ride for eveyone.

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 4/29/09 10:18 PM

Ooohhh...sounds like fun! Simon, thanks for the translation for those of us who aren't "mathletes."

If I survive my week long attempt to bike the Blue Ridge Parkway this week & still want to get on a bike afterwards, count me in!

ajlesser's ravatar ajlesser    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 4/30/09 2:35 PM

I'm signed up for the 100k as well. I'm not sure, but maybe anyone who has done this before can share - are tri bikes or road bikes with aerobars allowed? Just curious...

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 5/01/09 1:22 AM

Did this last year - it's a lot of fun - you can really put the hammer down. (and if the 'climb' from the Pentagon to the AF memorial seems long, race Savageman)

I was on a tri-bike with aero bars and was fine, just remember to not be on the extensions if you're in a paceline - it's just not safe, I don't care who you are. (Unless you're the Academy kids doing the TTT later in the day.) Sporting a disc and aero helmet may be a bit much, though.

Tamara's ravatar Tamara    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 5/01/09 8:19 AM

There were a few people on tris but it's a road event, so my sense was that 95+% of folks were on road bikes. And if you want to join those pace lines, definitely make sure you project that you are a very good bike handler. Some of the guys out there are pretty hardcore, and you might get some very negative reactions on a tri bike.

I personally would not have felt secure on my tri bike.

POSTED: 5/19/09 10:18 PM

I'm in! And fundraising for Intrepid Fallen Heroes fund because 1- it IS right around memorial day 2-I work with veterans, active duty military members, & families who are affected by major disabilities on a daily basis, and 3-very few have signed up to fundraise. Anyone who wants to support this worthy cause can see below:

http://www.active.com/donate/teamintrepid/bikeMimi

See you there!

Mimi :)

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 5/27/09 9:40 PM

Who's watching the races on Saturday and/or Sunday?

Anyone else racing at Sunday's Crystal Ride? Sounds like fun.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1751
POSTED: 5/27/09 10:03 PM

Can't beat that. Might attempt it if I weren't at the Grand Old Opry that day.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 457
POSTED: 5/28/09 7:02 AM

I am in and riding my tri bike. Attempting to complete the 8 laps in 3.5 hours.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1751
POSTED: 5/31/09 1:34 PM

Kevin, Adam, did you get the gold? You both looked smoking fast.

Dr. Mimi, too bad they didn't allow an extra 15 minutes for your final lap. Next year, given your improvement, you'll be invited to the pro race.

Wish I knew where that rumored, hidden water stop was. Thankfully a friend handed out Gatorade on the fly. Lots of flats from the rain washing up gunk on those rutted utility roads. My rear tire literally exploded on lap five, but it was fun to do a bike race while it lasted. Good cause.

POSTED: 5/31/09 7:34 PM

Yes. Adam smoked the 8 laps in under 3 hours while I finished in 3:10. They did shut down the course early as well as closed the climb into the USAF Memorial on the final lap. Still I was impressed by how the organizers worked to clear the water off the road. I guess the aid station staff worked on the roads instead of manning the "feed station". And it was great to see so many DC Tri folks out there!

Kevin

POSTED: 5/31/09 8:17 PM

Thanks Ed, but I don't think a pro race is ever in my future except for spectating! I did feel cheated since they closed down early - I would have finished the last lap well within the 3.5h but I did 7 in just under 3, so I can't complain about that!

Lessons learned:
- don't wear long sleeves even though it was pouring and 50 degrees when I left home
-it is not so smart to do 800 squats the day before a cycling event (don't ask!)
- do bring a spectator who can make a gatorade/water run - many thanks to Pete who single-handedly got drinks for everyone I met out there on the course
- don't forget to spray down speed-play pedals when there's a lot of dirt around - they easily get stuck to the pedal

All in all, a great morning. Will definitely do again next year!

Mimi :)

POSTED: 5/31/09 9:44 PM

Do they ever post the results anywhere? I tried looking around to see if they had them from last year and couldn't find anything. I managed to squeak in my 8 laps in just under 3 hrs. It was a tough course with all the rough spots...my arms are sore from griping the handlebars on the bumping parts of Old Jefferson Davis. Other than that, a great race!

POSTED: 6/02/09 1:21 PM

Results are available at:
http://www.airforcecyclingclassic.com/PDF/FinalResults.pdf

POSTED: 6/02/09 1:56 PM

Thanks. Of course, they grouped my 6th and 7th laps together, giving me credit for 7 laps, instead of 8. I've emailed the race to see if they'll update it to reflect my times.

I'd imagine this may have happened to others, as it seems like there were only about 25 riders than finished at 3:00 or below and finished 8 laps, according to the official results. Seems like there were many faster riders out on the course than 25, which I thought were doing 8. At least it felt that way!

POSTED: 6/02/09 2:17 PM

You are correct; the main peloton was larger than what is shown on the results page. The problem could have been the timing mats -- they did not extend fully across the road. I saw a rider next to me miss the mat on one of the laps. As a runner, I know that you always cross the timing mat! :-)

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria