Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Feedback on freestanding 2-bike racks?
CREATED: 03/11/09 by rwadsworth REPLIES: 8
rwadsworth's ravatar rwadsworth    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 32
Feedback on freestanding 2-bike racks?
POSTED: 3/11/09 2:30 AM

I'm soliciting comments on the various freestanding bike storage systems on the market. I have two bikes, in a rental, and it's not ideal to put screws into the walls. A friend had a tragic experience with a tension system toppling over and denting the top tube of her bike. I'd like to avoid that! I think I've heard good things about the Delta Michelangelo. Anyway use that system? Any other? I want it all...the good, the bad, the ugly.

Thanks!
Rachel

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 462
RE: Feedback on freestanding 2-bike racks?
POSTED: 3/11/09 7:35 AM

I use the Racor Two Bike Gravity Freestanding Bike Stand in my garage. It does not require being bolted to the wall (but you could at the top). It is kind of industrial compared to other models. I paid $40 plus free shipping from Amazon about one year ago.

I also looked at the Delta Michelangelo Two-Bike Gravity Stand, which appears nicer and more suited for inside of an apartment or house. I remember seeing them at REI.

POSTED: 3/11/09 7:41 AM

Okay, let me see if I can insert the images...

Racor Two Bike Gravity Freestanding Bike Stand:

Michelangelo Two-Bike Gravity Stand:

POSTED: 3/11/09 7:42 AM

I guess no go on the images...

tozamile's ravatar tozamile    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 3/11/09 7:49 AM

We have the Xport from Performance. It came with arms for two bikes but we just bought four more to get four bikes on it. Works great. It was easy to put together and you can adjust the height of each arm to accomodate bikes with sloping top tubes.

rwadsworth's ravatar rwadsworth    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 32
POSTED: 3/11/09 9:30 AM

Thanks Kev! Those two seem to be the most popular. Anyone else have any comments? Anyone used to Delta?

Thanks! My bikes thank you for their future stability.

-Rachel (proud mother of a brand new baby girl Cannondale Synapse)

jiml's ravatar jiml    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 3/11/09 9:58 AM

The only system I have ever actually used is Leaning Both Bikes Against the Wall®. But at one point I was shopping around for a fancier solution and was scared away from the Delta Michelangelo by some negative reviews I read online. I also looked at the Topeak TwoUp Stand.

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 3/11/09 10:03 AM

I have the the XPORT Bikes Aloft storage rack, too

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24019&subcategory_ID=6600 *I hope that works as a hyperlink.

I love it. Very sturdy. Make sure your ceiling is high enough to accomodate it.

Jen

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 3/12/09 4:46 PM

I have the Topeak Dual Touch Bike Storage Stand - purchased about three months ago from Amazon for about $120. It's great - had to borrow a stud finder from my neighbor to find a ceiling joist (otherwise you would punch a hole right through the ceiling plaster). If you're small(er) like me (130 lbs) I also recommend finding a heavier neighbor or friend to help you lock it into place - I had to jump up and down on the foot pedal to get it to lock into place because that thing is no joke. I was nervously testing it out for the first week or two, but now I just slam my bikes on and off with no worries.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria