Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

A little scared for Sunday
CREATED: 06/18/09 by sstriguy REPLIES: 10
sstriguy's ravatar sstriguy    JOINED: 6/18/09    POSTS: 14
A little scared for Sunday
POSTED: 6/18/09 2:43 PM

Hello everyone. I just became a member of your cool club after lurking for a couple of weeks. My very first triathlon will be the Dextro Oly this Sunday. Why I didn't sign up for the sprint is a mystery to me, but anyhow, I'm looking forward to meeting some people at the happy hour tonight. How will I know who's part of the club? Do you wear your swim caps and goggles to these events or do I just look for fit people who aren't drinking that much? Or is beer a performance enhancer for triathlons? As you can see, I have SO much to learn.

Looking forward to 6:30 tonight and 6 a.m. Sunday.

Mark

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
RE: A little scared for Sunday
POSTED: 6/18/09 2:51 PM

Oh Mark, Mark, Mark....au contraire, you look for the people who are ... well, wasted! (So I've heard, I have no actual firsthand, or any other, um, knowledge.)

We'll find YOU, never fear.

(Well, fear Sunday, but don't fear tonight.)

Welcome!
:)
jeanne

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 897
POSTED: 6/18/09 2:55 PM

I always did think we were a drinking club with a triathlon problem. :)

They really should have beer at the "comfort" stations along race courses. I asked for beer at the top of the fire road during the run at SavageMan and the volunteers did a double take. I found it quite amusing.

Bryan

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 6/18/09 3:08 PM

I recall seeing the first couple of Tris done back when the media covered them as an amusing crazy thing they do out there in Hawaii, and they had beer at a few of the stops. Kinda of a shame it's gotten so serious.

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 130
POSTED: 6/18/09 3:10 PM

I was definitely offered much beer during the National half-mary this year because "you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning". I couldn't argue with the logic. Or the guy dressed as a bunny. Anyway...

I'm mildly terrified for Sunday and will be at happy hour this evening drinking away my fears! Someone told me sitting around drinking beers counts as tapering.

mcoates23    JOINED: 5/19/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 6/18/09 3:13 PM

I love you guys already, and I've never even met you! So glad to hear I won't be a terrible influence upon the lot.

I believe the weather gods are conspiring against a bike workout tonight, so I'll likely see you at BB. Never been there before--is there a particular area inside to head for?

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 6/18/09 3:24 PM

The last few times we were at BB, we were at the back right bar, but not the back back bar. Hope that helps.

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 6/18/09 3:43 PM

A very dark ale, such as a porter or a stout is a very effective recovery drink, rich in carbohydrates and protein. If it is good for recovery, it is equaly good for a taper.

As for drinking and racing, the second place finisher at the inaugural Ironman (I forget his name), was offered a beer as he was approaching the finish line. Since he was thirsty, he had a second, and then proceeded to stagger the last two miles to the finish, running into parked cars and bellowing that he was poisoned. Nothing like finishing in style.

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 6/18/09 3:50 PM

Oh yeah, it was John Collins.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1653
POSTED: 6/18/09 4:27 PM

Next year, do the Berlin Marathon, where they serve very good German beer....

....Sporting full regalia is a pre-requisite for HH: wet suit, bike helmet with swim goggles, and sunshades over them, one running shoe, one bike shoe, bike shirt with beer nuts stuffed in the rear pockets, and a comfy transition blanket to retreat to at closing time.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 239
POSTED: 6/18/09 5:24 PM

Mark, welcome!

Another give away that you've found us... we will be the group that will NOT be talking about what we do for a living, who we work for, or how much money we make. Instead we WILL be talking about what races we've done, what races we're doing, and how well we've prepared (or not) for said races! It's a much more fun way to spend an evening!

Not being a big fan of beer myself, I can't agree with Ed's suggestion re: the Berlin marathon. Rather, I have my sights on the Marathon du Medoc in France. Wine, cheese, bread and other wonderful things at the various stops along the course!

good luck this weekend. I don't envy you putting your face into the Potomac, but I'll be doing it this September for Nations (provided my fellow clubbers don't start glowing in the dark after this weekend's event).

-becky

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria