Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

What to do with old awards
CREATED: 11/14/09 by jen_ REPLIES: 10
jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
What to do with old awards
POSTED: 11/14/09 6:21 PM

Plaques, medals, trophies, etc piled up from finishing and placing in triathlons in the past. They've been in kept in boxes and are just taking up space. I'd rather they didn't end up in a landfill somewhere, so does anyone know an eco-friendly way to dispose of them? I know the club took donations of old medals a few years back and I was able to whittle down my stash, but it's the bigger things I'm looking to get rid of.

Any idea if.. say, CTA takes back the eagle awards for Eagleman? Or any other tri group? I'm sure you can just take off the tag of front stating the race and placing so it can be reused, but I don't know if that's been done.

I'd prefer some place local to donate to if that's possible. And if there's anyone else who might want them, go ahead and have them or else they are heading to the dump.

Jen

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: What to do with old awards
POSTED: 11/14/09 7:54 PM

i'd say just take the ribbons off and throw them in your local recycling bin.

As most medals are made of either metal or plastic I'd trust the local recycling center to know what to do with the old medals.

I'd say that is the most "green" thing you can do.

I believe that each year the CTA makes up new awards and such with different dates on them. besides who wants a "used" medal?

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 11/14/09 8:04 PM

I'm not sure what you can do with your plaques and trophies, but if you want to do something good with your medals, the organization Medals4Mettle takes donated medals and gives them to sick patients and other who have demonstrated "mettle" or courage. For more info, check out their website at http://www.medals4mettle.org

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1059
POSTED: 11/14/09 9:53 PM

Omg Jen, I would love to have any of those old trophies and plaques that you do not want. I teach elementary PE and coach HS kids so I would always use them as incentives for certain achievements.

Please email me at racedirector at dctriclub.org

Thanks,
Hugh

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 11/14/09 10:56 PM

I was going to mention the charities too. Or you can give them to any young relatives, nieces, nephews, or your own kids, if you have any.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 11/15/09 1:10 AM

That reminded me of an old thread I saw on a different forum -- check this charity out that re-distributes the hardware to those who could use a boost:

http://medals4mettle.org/index.htm

POSTED: 11/16/09 9:17 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I only have two nephews (no kids of my own that I know of) and they don't need to be playing with the sharp, pointy wings of the eagle statues. They have enough toys already.

I think it was M4M that the club collected the medals, to which I donated 30-35. It was a heavy bag. I only keep the few that have some meaning or sentimental value to and will do something with the rest.

Hugh - I'll send you an email off line.

Jen

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 11/16/09 9:20 AM

Is any one else a little jealous of Jen's problem of having too many race awards?

emle's ravatar emle    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 11/16/09 12:47 PM

Jen - I think Michele would like some of your medals/trophies before you donate them all to Hugh. ;)

Em

POSTED: 11/16/09 1:13 PM

I was fortunate to be slightly better than mediocre in a handful of small races, and to be there to accept the award. I've learned my lesson and now run ultras were you just keep running and eating and sometimes drinking. And when you finish you get to eat more. And drink more.

And if anyone besides Michelle would like a paper weight, let me know.

Too bad my old high school Solo & Ensemble awards from band are back in Michigan. I'm sure those would be flying off the shelf!

Jen

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 11/16/09 2:35 PM

I'll let Jen/Hugh's student's keep the awards. I'd rather do more ultras with Jen - I've never been offered hot fries at a rest stop during a triathlon but I have in an ultra.

Thinking of which, a mini-plug for the Richmond Half/Full Marathon. They had whiskey, wine and beer on course! Sadly, my slowness cannot be blamed on any of those.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria