Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Philly after Eagleman?
CREATED: 01/03/10 by ppgodes REPLIES: 3
ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
Philly after Eagleman?
POSTED: 1/03/10 1:09 PM

This is mainly for the over-40 crowd...we know that recovery can take longer than it used to...I'm signed up for Eagleman, my first 70.3, but I see Philly (club championships) is 2 weeks later.

I know I did back-to-back weekend Sprints last year and found myself to be a little stale.

Any thoughts whether 2 weeks is too short a time to be thinking about doing an Olympic after a 70.3? (If I travel to Philly, don't want to just do the Sprint).

Thanks,

Paula

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 454
RE: Philly after Eagleman?
POSTED: 1/03/10 1:25 PM

It all depends on the weather. If the weather at Eagleman approaches 100 degrees like two years ago, than it may be tough to race Philly all out just two weeks later. Yet last year, we had near perfect conditions and you should recover fine.

I am in the same boat and have held off from signing up too. Guess I need to make a decision soon...

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 1/04/10 3:38 PM

Hi there Paula -

I am in the over 40 crowd as well - signed up for Eagleman as a relay - but my runner is injured this winter and I don't have great faith in our biking leg so there is a possibility that I will do the whole shabang so I did not yet sign up for Philly. Is the new sprint in Columbia the same weekend as Philly - That may be a possibility - although I considered the boredom factor of basically doing the same route (albeit shorter) as Columbia.

Ahhh - decisions decisions ...

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 1/04/10 4:03 PM

i'm not 40 yet but approaching it in a few years, and even when i did a similar double to this one when i was 27 it still hurt a bit and i was majorly sore for the second race. this year its going to hurt more, but i know that going in.

sorry to say, but really you already know the answer to this question. LOL

assume 1/2 ironman if the conditions are hot/humid and you are somewhat pushing yourself and trying to go fast will take somehting out of you. there is no way around this fact. you can do an olympic 2 weeks later and you willl feel "somewhat ok" but you will know you did a 1/2 ironman a couple of weeks earlier. You experienced some of this feeling when you did the back to back sprints this year, now this year you are going even longer.

assume 1/2 ironman conditions are great and not hot/humid and you go really easy that weekend "just to finish the race", then still when you do the olympic 2 weeks later you will still know you did a 1/2 ironman race a couple of weeks earlier, you won't be "as stale" as you would have been in the former scenario but if you think you are going to feel 100% like you didn't do a 1/2 ironman 2 weeks earlier, you are not being honest with yourself.

hey i'm in the same boat as you i'm doing columbia, eagleman, philly all in a row, so i'll be able to tell you next year how this recovery thing goes with racing so close together. LOL.

good luck and just use your best judgement.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria