Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Finish line policy to take effect at Ironman 70.3 California
CREATED: 03/11/09 by xena REPLIES: 8
xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 3/11/09 10:37 AM

No kids, wives, camera crews allowed to cross with you.

World Triathlon Corporation Announces Finish Line Policy
Published Wednesday, March 11, 2009

World Triathlon Corporation will implement a new finish line policy for all domestic Ironman and Ironman 70.3 events. Beginning with Ironman 70.3 California, friends and/or family members will no longer be permitted to cross the finish line or enter the finish chute with participating athletes.

“Safety is paramount at all Ironman and Ironman 70.3 events. Allowing non-participants to cross the finish line compromises event security, serves as a distraction to other finishers and disrupts our secure finish line operations. Family and friends are encouraged to reunite with their athlete in the photo/post-race area just beyond the finish line,” said Steve Meckfessel, Ironman’s Chief Operating Officer.

In response to ongoing athlete feedback, Ironman has chosen to adopt this policy to ensure the safety of all participants, volunteers and fans. As with other sporting events, Ironman strives to provide a competitive and memorable event, one that allows all parties to enjoy the entire Ironman Experience. This policy will allow each competitor adequate time to celebrate their accomplishment without interfering with other finishers. Athletes who choose not to respect the new policy will receive an automatic disqualification (DQ).

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
RE: New Finish line policy to take effect at Ironman 70.3 California
POSTED: 3/11/09 10:45 AM

I wonder if they're going to have Terry Tate, the Office Linebacker, at the finish line to enforce this rule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94

That. would. be. AWESOME!!

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 3/11/09 2:05 PM

So now I can't bring my 2 kittens, 3 goldfish, grandmother, pygmy horse, and 5 cousins across the finish line?!!? I want out.

Andy B.

alya72's ravatar alya72    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 3/11/09 2:12 PM

Thank God they finally changed this rule! Greg's sister was a volunteer at the finish line at the last IM we did, and the biggest emphasis in intructions to finish-line volunteers was to catch the babies and let the athletes fall, since that was the biggest finish line safety issue!

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 3/11/09 10:20 PM

Dang I love a Terry Tate reference - thanks! The Pain Train's Coming - woo woo.
Great rule change. It's about the Ironman :P

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 209
POSTED: 3/12/09 10:11 AM

It's about time!!! Just plain stupid that they ever allowed it to begin with!!!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
POSTED: 4/07/09 12:20 PM

Sorry to disappoint everyone. I did the Ironman Ca 70.3 this past weekend and the rules were not enforced. I did not personally witness anything but my family told me that there were athletes running with their children to the finish line. I think that I was still in the swim course while all of this was going on :)

During the last stretch of the run to the finish line, I did not notice any race officials or volunteers out in the course to try to intercept runners from bringing along family members with them. There were fences during the end stretch but there are always fences during the last stretch. One would expect an interceptor to be there if they were serious about enforcement. Also, the pre-race video briefing did not mention anything about the new rule or enforcement of it. I don't recall any mentions of the new rules in the athletes guide either.

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 209
POSTED: 4/07/09 1:06 PM

I just did IronMan 70.3 New Orleans this past weekend. The race organizer down there made it very clear in the pre-race briefings that they were enforcing the new rule. He went so far as to say that he couldn't wait for slowtwitch to post the name of the first person to get slapped with a DQ for breaking the rule.

So if Oceanside didn't have interceptors posted, hopefully they'll just DQ the people who broke the rule. That will send a clear message. I didn't see or hear anything about it being a problem in Jackson Square.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
POSTED: 4/07/09 1:20 PM

I noticed that there were 2 DQs at my race in the official results but that could have been for anything. Maybe fin-man made an appearance :)

You'd figured that since IM CA 70.3 was the debute of the new rule that they would roll it out in style with more visibility ... but they didn't. Of course, I also had a pre-taped video briefing and not a real live person.

I'm glad to hear that it had visibility in New Orleans.

Tuan

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria