Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Anti-Concussion Bike Helmet
CREATED: 10/13/13 by kst718 REPLIES: 1
kst718's ravatar kst718    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 95
Anti-Concussion Bike Helmet
POSTED: 10/13/13 10:23 AM

While a helmet will save your life, it might not prevent you from getting a concussion. (Check out this article in Bicycling Magazine: http://www.bicycling.com/senseless/index.html

A new technology, MIPS (Multi-directional Impact ­Protection System) is making its way into helmets and has an additional layer of protection to prevent concussions. A few companies make them but since there's a sale at REI this weekend (code FALLMEM13) I'm going to get the POC MIPS helmet. Its aimed at mountain bikers but since the visor is removable, I figure it won't damage my tri cred *too* much!

In any case, I'm curious if anyone else has experience with MIPS or thoughts on the matter.

--Katie

JessO's ravatar JessO    JOINED: 6/16/09    POSTS: 66
RE: Anti-Concussion Bike Helmet
POSTED: 10/15/13 11:44 AM

Great topic and something I've studied a bit. Unfortunately - and just to be clear - there is no such thing as a helmet that prevents concussions, and there probably never will be. Today's helmets are designed to reduce catastrophic impacts and skull fractures, but any blow to the head that causes a sudden acceleration or deceleration can cause a concussion. So, even if a person is wearing a helmet in a bike accident, it can't stop these forces. In a crash, the head abruptly stops accelerating (by making contact with the inside of the helmet, the ground, etc), but the brain continues moving through the cerebrospinal fluid that surrounds it and hits the skull...causing the concussion.

The MIPS technology you mention is designed to move around the head a bit and reduce the rotational forces that come with impact at an angle. This definitely doesn't prevent concussion, but might reduce the severity or likelihood of concussion to some degree --which is undoubtedly still progress if it holds true outside the lab!

I don't know of any road bike helmets with MIPS, but the technology is growing in popularity with wintersports, motosports, and some mountain bike helmets. It seems these helmets can accommodate the technology more easily, in part because they tend to be more tight-fitting in nature and don't require as much ventilation.

If you end up buying that POC helmet & using it for road biking, I'd be curious to hear your opinion on its comfort and fit. It looks poorly ventilated, but I've never had one on!

Cheers,
Jessica

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria