Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Metro open early on Sunday?
CREATED: 09/09/10 by jfriess23 REPLIES: 9
jfriess23's ravatar jfriess23    JOINED: 7/27/10    POSTS: 16
Metro open early on Sunday?
POSTED: 9/09/10 10:41 AM

Does anyone know if Metro will be opening early on Sunday for the race? Normal open on a Sunday is 7am, wondering if the organizers negotiated an earlier opening for metro. I didn't see anything on the race site or metro's site indicating this would happen.

starcaro's ravatar starcaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 60
RE: Metro open early on Sunday?
POSTED: 9/09/10 10:59 AM

speaking from past experience, I would venture to say no, they will not be opening up early. I shared a cab last year to get to transition so we wouldn't have to deal with parking either.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 966
POSTED: 9/09/10 11:21 AM

Nope, metro does not open early. Triathlons aren't nearly as big as running races and don't have the pull to talk Metro into opening early.

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 206
POSTED: 9/09/10 11:29 AM

Bryan, I agree but at the same time disagree with you. True, triathlons aren't nearly as popular (or big, as you put it) as running races. We can agree on that. But this Nation's race, the one this weekend, you may know of it, is going to draw a huge crowd, maybe rivaling the attendance at the popular 10ks in November and December. We should write a letter to the city council with our thoughts.

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 9/09/10 11:45 AM

word of warning - last year I had a cab scheduled and when it didn't show 20 minutes after the scheduled time I called the operator who said "they didn't have one to send me." No warning or anything, great. Ended up getting there with enough time, but had to run around for 15 mins to find a cab.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1313
POSTED: 9/09/10 11:56 AM

FYI: The MCM pays $50,000 per hour (or is it half hour, I forgot) for every half hour eariler than 7:00 AM to metro for opening early for that race on Sundays. This is the info given to me by Rick Nealis, the race director of the MCM a few years back when he came to speak to my running club.

Tuan

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 9/09/10 1:50 PM

Interesting about the expense. The amount of money that the Nation's Tri organizers have available is certainly getting close to that of the big running races. Army 10 Miler gets it done with $1.65 million (30,000 people times $55), while Nation's has $1.15 million (6,500 times $175).

I imagine it's just not practical because of the fewer amount of participants, so Metro can't recoup as much at the fare box. Nation's would likely have to pay a higher fee to Metro than MCM or the other big races.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1313
POSTED: 9/09/10 2:24 PM

The thing that you also have to consider is that because road races attract more people, they also bring in a lot more sponsors and vendors to the expo.

A friend of mine organizes some big events in the area. He tells me that hotels would him give x number of free rooms for y number of booked rooms that he brings in through his events. He can then sell those rooms to VIPs, select people, or anyone else he chooses. In other words, big races bring in more money than just registration fees. This is how the MCM is able to shell out $100-$200k to metro on race day without even blinking. Also helps that the MCM does not give prize money or appearance fees to anyone.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 9/09/10 3:14 PM

I admittedly have no idea what I'm talking about here, but my basic understanding is that triathlons are fairly expensive to produce. Consider all the additional elements... The liability insurance alone is probably astronomical compared with a running-only race.

So, though Nations might have a similar revenue stream from registration fees, the smaller number of sponsors and additional expenses mean there really isn't a whole lot of margin.

This is also a PSA to get people to volunteer. :)

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 9/09/10 10:05 PM

Metro won't open early even though D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty participates in the race every year.

Maybe we need to get Senators Kerry and Brown to help lobby Metro. Both of them are amateur triathletes. I have no idea whether they will be racing at Nation's though. They had mentioned training together for a triathlon earlier this year. Senator McCain had some success in changing the flight distance rules at National Airport at one point. If we could get TWO Senators, one from each party, to work on this, maybe Metro might change their mind in the future.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria