Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Reston Century
CREATED: 08/07/09 by nomisdc REPLIES: 32
nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
Reston Century
POSTED: 8/07/09 6:45 PM

Anyone doing the Reston fun this year? It's the Sunday after the training tri. It was a fun ride last year, though the rollers are decent.

http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1716495&assetId=e76dfede-9adf-4c6a-84c1-99f9321f6573

Contemplating between the metric and full century.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1713
RE: Reston Century
POSTED: 8/07/09 11:25 PM

Contemplating a portion of it.

Usually well supported, almost always hot, always hilly. Can be tough on the final descents when it's afternoon, boiling hot, and you're exposed to the sun.

I think Tuan's group was thinking of making Reston its next century.

ashleynellis1's ravatar ashleynellis1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 8/08/09 7:02 AM

i'm in for the metric.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1287
POSTED: 8/08/09 12:15 PM

Indeed we are. DCTri will be represent'n. 7:00 AM Clip. We shall do the 100.

Tuan

POSTED: 8/08/09 2:39 PM

do we post as individuals to roll calls anymore or do gang-leaders like Godfather Tuan speak for everyone? things have really changed...

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 8/10/09 1:39 PM

I'm in for the metric. But I'll be there at 7:00 anyway - I cherish the 2 blocks I spend with Tuan and co. at the start of our rides ;)

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 8/10/09 2:14 PM

Seriously considering the metric. Do you think my chicken legs can handle it? Is there a course map somewhere? I didn't see one on the website.

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 263
POSTED: 8/10/09 2:21 PM

Tammy:
Try this. It's the 08 ride, but maybe it's the same?

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/va/reston/298477454203

Simon,
If I'm riding the hills out to Poolesville regularly, will I be ok at Reston?

I'm in for either the metric or the century. Not sure which. Looking for some other B groupers to keep me company.

Trisha, I'm with you: it's fun to start with the Vertical Swimmers, but I have to wave goodbye at some point during the first couple of miles. :)

Karen

POSTED: 8/10/09 2:26 PM

Wombat: Even short-legged, muscular quadrupeds from the Southern Hemisphere can do it. Remember: attack the hills, and in the right gear....

BTW, the Poolsville hills are roughly equivalent to the Reston hills (PV hills somewhat less steep?), and are good training for Reston. A challenge with the Reston century is the hills come up relatively late, c. mile 60, when you're more tired. Tho the return from the hills is a long down hill ride.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/10/09 2:38 PM

Man sound like a good time, but I promised to take a break and we will be heading to VA Beach that weekend for some fun and sun at the beach. Good luck everyone and have fun.

POSTED: 8/10/09 2:50 PM

What's this about hills???

I really need to read this stuff before signing up for things....I'll be there anyway. stupid hills.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/10/09 3:10 PM

The Hills are you friend, they make you stronger, give you confidence, and above all you know eventually you will go down and get a break from pedaling.... And anyone riding with me this weekend, do not repeat the names I called those hills.

garth1175's ravatar garth1175    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 8/10/09 3:26 PM

In for the metric and making a brick out of it.

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 8/10/09 3:30 PM

Karen - thanks for the map!

After looking at the elevation, I'm in. Anyone who cannot hang with the Vertical Swimmer is welcome to join Team Marsupial. I'll be bringing up the rear with the 'Z' group.

astene    JOINED: 3/3/09    POSTS: 9
Reston-(8/23) Carpool?
POSTED: 8/10/09 5:16 PM

Anyone Have Room for 1 person + bike from NW DC?

I'll gladly buy fuel, coffee and morning snacks!

~Angie

POSTED: 8/10/09 5:36 PM

Angie - assuming I can get my new bike rack figured out (don't laugh) you're welcome to come with me. Give me a ring and we'll craft a plan!

The rack theoretically holds 3 bikes if any other NWers need a ride (I'm at 16th and R). Extra points if you're smart enough to install a bike rack at 6AM.
Trisha

POSTED: 8/10/09 9:51 PM

I sure wouldn't laugh about Trisha's bike rack, emphasis "rack"--as in a midieval torture device--having witnessed first hand a futile attempt to install the thing. :)

POSTED: 8/14/09 8:26 AM

Sounds like with the training you all have been doing you should be fine :) Join you for the metric. Few rides this year and another tear-inducing run with the DCRR sadists the day before so I'll just be hoping to survive.
As Phil C said last year about improving on climbs: "You have to hate yourself more than you hate the hill."

singlemalt    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 8/17/09 10:05 AM

As a test run yesterday for the Century, I veered away from the traditional Vietnamese royalty Sunday ride, and rode with our arch rivals, the Viet Cong peasants, for 60 of the 100 miles of the Reston Century course. This will be the first time I will have ever ridden this ride/not race, but here were my observations:
1. There seems to be way too much riding on the WOD. It is lame just riding with a few sneaky Viet Cong; imagine riding it with 1500 others. This could be a problem. Sure, there is a staggered start, but...
2. Much of the WOD is bumpy with cracks in the asphalt. You will cross over 100 bridges and at least 1 tunnel. There are some harsh transitions.
3. If you are used to the extremely-wide shoulders of the MoCo rides, stop. Almost every street ride on the ride has a shoulder that you can measure in inches, as opposed to the double-wide shoulders of River Rd and all those roads we ride in MoCo.
4. Ladies, be warned. I was told that WVa hillbillys love taking Sunday rides in the pickup, drink a lot, dip Skoal and Red Man, and hoot and holler at the ladies. If you are cool with cat calls, this is your ride. Even I got yelled at, and I go 3 bills and look really bad in a sports bra.
5. The link to the ride on this thread is no longer accurate. There are about 100000 turns this year for the 100, and I hope someone steps up and transcribes the 2009 cue sheet to the online version for brevity and the map.
6. The hills are real. Our rides with the Vietnamese have added value. Some of my VC riders quit, and started making tunnels for some reason.
7. You will be riding in rural VA - this is solid right wing country. I passed 500 farms, 300 McDonnell signs (R-VA Gov cand), and a few token rebel flags. This is not blue MoCo anymore, Dorothy.

POSTED: 8/17/09 10:31 AM

Note to all: Any century ride you go on in Md or VA will have you passing farms. Many with Republican signs.
Alternate recommendation for rest of USA-averse: ride Hains Point short loop 33 times.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria